Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling psm completely

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:27 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The only place PSM will engage when "turned off" is when the brakes are applied. You can full-on drift on throttle if you want; the only place you need to be careful to drive around it is trailbraking, where you need to ensure you're off the brake pedal and back on the gas before the back end starts stepping out. You can still trailbrake through corner entry using engine braking to control how much oversteer you get, though.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm told the yaw sensor is in the console area. Some trackers install a rocker switch on the side so they can entirely disconnect it and therefore completely disable PSM. A less complete alternative is to have someone with PIWIS code your Cayman to believe that it has composite brakes. This will reduce even more the amount of intervention when the nominal "PSM Off" button is pushed.

For those who can't imagine running with PSM Off, all I can say is that it's not for everyone but it's the recommended practice for the more experienced drivers in the groups I've tracked with. I've found the car to be much less twitchy when hard on the brakes. And yes, you have to be more aware of what the rear is doing when on the power in corners but that's the challenge of it.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Loosecayman
1. Are there exact instructions on how i can disable PSM i.e which wires to disconnect and where they are located?

2. Would this disable sport mode as well?

3. Is there a way to achieve my end objective? (perhaps its impossible, as some have mentioned, all systems are interlinked - would a reflash help?)

There have been discussions on this on planet 9 - but as i've mentioned before, the threads ended abruptly. Thanks in advance
Did you find this thread on P-9 in your search?
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...tml#post324294
According to those posts, the yaw sensor is under the carpet on the hump, by the drivers right shin. There may be a cover there on the tunnel fastened with Torx screws. If you cut the ground wire (brn/yel) and install a rocker switch between the two ends of the ground wire, you can disable or enable the yaw sensor at will, which will disable PSM. My understanding though is that if you have SC, PASM or PDK, sport mode will be disabled as well, since those systems also utilize the yaw sensor. It might be worth a try. I don't know of any vendors offering a reflash of the vehicle dynamics portion of the Cayman software, all they usually address are the mappings of just the ECU. There is a mention that Napleton Motorsports had some program to disable PSM on the Interseries race cars--you might try them, but I don't think those cars had Sport mode to begin with.

TT
Old 05-27-2014, 11:41 PM
Loosecayman
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Tom/Bern,

Exactly what i was looking for - I'd just snip the wire altogether! What does SC stand for btw? Mine is an 07 so no PDK, no PASM. Fortunately! I would like to keep sport mode as i drive it in sport all the time!.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

What does SC stand for btw?
SC = Sport Chrono

TT
Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Hi guys,

Could some one help clarify how i could completely disable psm?

Ive been searching around the topic and theres been talk of disconnecting a brake sensor wire but the exact instructions are unclear.

Theres also feedback that this disables the sport function too.

Is there anyway to get complete control of the car? Many thanks. Appreciate it
I'm late to the party but on a 987.1 find pin #6 on the 6-pin connector of the accelerometer. Install a rocker switch on the #6 wire between the connector and the accelerometer. Turn the rocket switch OFF before starting the engine and PSM is disabled. ABS remains functional.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
I'm late to the party but on a 987.1 find pin #6 on the 6-pin connector of the accelerometer. Install a rocker switch on the #6 wire between the connector and the accelerometer. Turn the rocket switch OFF before starting the engine and PSM is disabled. ABS remains functional.
Do you know if that kills "Drive-off Assist", also?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Do you know if that kills "Drive-off Assist", also?
Sorry I don't know. Would be a good question for the guys who have done this mod who use their car on street.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:45 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Call me a control freak. But, I've never been good at trying to second guess what the nanny computer will do and when and how much it decides to help.

I have a buddy in AX who just bought a brand new 991 TTS that's obviously quicker than snot. However; luckily for the S5 group, he may never be able to completely figure out what the net nanny is going to do when going 10/10 ths in the turns and twisties.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:55 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I learned that the stability control systems in the US are more over-reaching that the rest of the world on many cars. I have a Golf R that once I programed the ECU to the German settings, it was far more drivable at the track….and I could turn in all the way off. This is probably due to insurance companies trying to over-control things.

Every time I go to the track and I see more "traction control heroes". Pretty soon Google will drive the wanna be racers around the track!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:06 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I learned that the stability control systems in the US are more over-reaching that the rest of the world on many cars. I have a Golf R that once I programed the ECU to the German settings, it was far more drivable at the track….and I could turn in all the way off. This is probably due to insurance companies trying to over-control things.

Every time I go to the track and I see more "traction control heroes". Pretty soon Google will drive the wanna be racers around the track!
I think it's probably more about how our legal system and stupid jurors do such a poor job of assigning 'responsibility'.

Otherwise, I'm 100% with you.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Loosecayman
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Tom. Thanks. This is exactly what im looking for. Whereexactly is the acclerometer though? Is the effect the same if i disconnected the brake pressure sensor instead? Trying hard to keep sport mod here!

Quick Reply: Disabling psm completely