Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return to Thunderhill, tires, and C7 corvette

Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
How tall are you, vet? Are the mounting points at the level of your shoulders or below? I'm 5'8", so the mounting points are above my shoulders, which is the problem.
I'm slightly less than 5'9" so in the same boat as you. Guess HANS wouldn't be ideal for me either.

Originally Posted by zedcat
I have a 986, so pretty similar. When I got the seating position low enough to pass the "broomstick" test, my shoulders were well below the cross bar of the stock roll hoops. The documentation from hans (and Schroth) indicate the shoulder harness should be flat or angle down from the shoulder to the mounting point for the hans device to work properly.
Interesting. I've met many Boxster owners using HANS on the track and have not personally heard them complain about using the stock roll bar. However, from your description it sounds like the protection level offered would not be ideal in the event of a crash. I suspect it'll still work; just not as well as intended and designed for. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:01 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good, Joe! I enjoyed running with you and Ben during the early sessions. I may have some video.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowandsteady
Looking good, Joe! I enjoyed running with you and Ben during the early sessions. I may have some video.
That was you?
Old 05-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Ha! Like you. . . I missed my goal. Next time!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ha! Like you. . . I missed my goal. Next time!
Next time indeed. Send me some links when you get the videos up. Hopefully I didn't hold you up too much! Lots of great drivers out there that day.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ortho,

Are you using the Smarty Cam HD for your camera and data overlay?

The microphone works really well.

Peter
Old 05-13-2014, 11:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skxf430
Ortho,

Are you using the Smarty Cam HD for your camera and data overlay?

The microphone works really well.

Peter
Peter,

While I'm using the AiM solo DL for datalogging, I am not using the smartycamHD for data overlay. A few of my friends do, and I've found that the video quality isn't nearly as good as gopro, and the audio is horrific:

My setup involves gopro cameras linked via wifi remote, an external mic placed behind the rear license plate, AiM Solo DL, and trackvision software to overlay the data.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Hey, Joe. Not a lot of footage. . . We were both still warming up the tires here so I didn't bother with loading the data too.https://vimeo.com/95239044
Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hey, Joe. Not a lot of footage. . . We were both still warming up the tires here so I didn't bother with loading the data too.https://vimeo.com/95239044
Thanks for the link! I remember this session. I have to admit, me and my friend riding shotgun with me at the time were wondering why you pointed me by a few laps later. You were clearly much faster than me. I think I pulled off right afterwards because I had a scheduled C7 drive I didn't want to miss

Did you drive the C7 too? What did you think?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Hmmm. Must have been the 59 car. Only the radicals and the big winged 914 passed me. I wasn't impressed by the vette. Steering feel was lifeless and that auto rev match was silly. Definitely not for me.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:02 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm. Must have been the 59 car. Only the radicals and the big winged 914 passed me. I wasn't impressed by the vette. Steering feel was lifeless and that auto rev match was silly. Definitely not for me.
Whoops! I guess that means there were 2 dark colored RSs much faster than me that day!

I couldn't tell that the auto rev match was working. Agree on the steering. Again, glad to hear that my impressions are being echoed by others. I sometimes wonder if I really know what I'm talking about or not. LOL.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 AM
Slowandsteady
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Whoops! I guess that means there were 2 dark colored RSs much faster than me that day!

I couldn't tell that the auto rev match was working. Agree on the steering. Again, glad to hear that my impressions are being echoed by others. I sometimes wonder if I really know what I'm talking about or not. LOL.
Yes. The 59 car is a 997 GT3 with some RS parts (e.g., wing).

And. . . From what I can tell, you know more than most here, including me. Carry on
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Yes. The 59 car is a 997 GT3 with some RS parts (e.g., wing).

And. . . From what I can tell, you know more than most here, including me. Carry on
Old 05-19-2014, 01:44 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe

good observation and looks like corvette done nothing to the C7 compare to C6 to correct it's inherent instability coming off T9. These corvette have mushmellow engine and tranny mounts designed to offer plush ride. What happen when you accerating coming off T9 the whole drivetrain slam to one side and cause enough weight transfer to destabilize the car. When I drove my Z06 in stock form coming off T9 I almost lost the car! Once I change to solid engine mounts and add rear wing the car is as stable can be through off camber T5 bypass and T9.

That center console issue is retarded - you need to have it removed or modify if you get a C7. Not allowing you to rev pass 5000 RPM .... that's BS! I rev my Z06 pass 6500 RPM first time at the track after logging couple hundred street miles. Auto blip switch position is not good. Power? really not much to speak of unless you have over 500 Hp/Tq and can be easily gain from intake, software and exhaust

I would be as nice as you with my feedback if they only allow me doing 2:20+ parade lap. I would have said "man, after driving this pos I decided to get a cayman"

stock black rubber tranny mounts vs aftermarket solid mounts

Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mikymu
Joe good observation and looks like corvette done nothing to the C7 compare to C6 to correct it's inherent instability coming off T9. These corvette have mushmellow engine and tranny mounts designed to offer plush ride. What happen when you accerating coming off T9 the whole drivetrain slam to one side and cause enough weight transfer to destabilize the car. When I drove my Z06 in stock form coming off T9 I almost lost the car! Once I change to solid engine mounts and add rear wing the car is as stable can be through off camber T5 bypass and T9. That center console issue is retarded - you need to have it removed or modify if you get a C7. Not allowing you to rev pass 5000 RPM .... that's BS! I rev my Z06 pass 6500 RPM first time at the track after logging couple hundred street miles. Auto blip switch position is not good. Power? really not much to speak of unless you have over 500 Hp/Tq and can be easily gain from intake, software and exhaust I would be as nice as you with my feedback if they only allow me doing 2:20+ parade lap. I would have said "man, after driving this pos I decided to get a cayman" stock black rubber tranny mounts vs aftermarket solid mounts
Thanks, mike. Very interesting to have you confirm that the instability of the car is an issue even with prior generations of the corvette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Return to Thunderhill, tires, and C7 corvette