Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove a 981 Cayman PDK today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
I would get the Boxster with Sport Suspension/19" wheels if you have another vehicle for the bad winter days.
Go for the 20" wheels, much easier to clean.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear the PDK has improved since we ordered our Boxster S in 2011. My wife insisted on a 6 spd manual...she will only drive a manual. She believes you are more in control of the car.

Manuals in the US are getting hard to find in cars with any real performance aka hp.

Best
Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Glad to hear the PDK has improved since we ordered our Boxster S in 2011. My wife insisted on a 6 spd manual...she will only drive a manual. She believes you are more in control of the car.

Manuals in the US are getting hard to find in cars with any real performance aka hp.

Best
Yes I had to spec order my 981S in order to get it the way I wanted without a bunch of dealer added unneeded/wanted stuff. That included getting it with a 6sp manual shifter. Dealer had only ONE on the lot and it was an Cayman base...other cars were ALL PDK [that included 991's also].
Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes I had to spec order my 981S in order to get it the way I wanted without a bunch of dealer added unneeded/wanted stuff. That included getting it with a 6sp manual shifter. Dealer had only ONE on the lot and it was an Cayman base...other cars were ALL PDK [that included 991's also].
I would special order as well to avoid all the wheeler-dealer BS that they build. I want a basic drivers car - 6 sp manual, X73 sport suspension, Sport Seats Plus, Limited Slip Dif, PTV etc... Radio? Who Cares! Let's put on an AWE Exhaust or a PSE if you want more music.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:15 PM
nw996
AutoX

I drove both the Cayman and Boxster. The Cayman felt more lively to me and the PDK seemed to help the car in that regard as well. I drove a manual Boxster for comparison and second gear seemed taller than that of PDK. Personally I liked the Cayman with PDK the best and that's what ended up in my garage. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by nw996
I drove both the Cayman and Boxster. The Cayman felt more lively to me and the PDK seemed to help the car in that regard as well. I drove a manual Boxster for comparison and second gear seemed taller than that of PDK. Personally I liked the Cayman with PDK the best and that's what ended up in my garage. Good luck with your search!
Tx! I'll be passing down through your way sometime this summer. Would love to see your car.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:28 PM
nw996
AutoX

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Tx! I'll be passing down through your way sometime this summer. Would love to see your car.
Shoot me a message when you're coming down this way. I may do some events with the Vancouver Porsche Club too.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:17 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Its here. And am pleasantly pleased. Great car! A real stunner..much better than my 997. Did I make the right choice..yes I think so!

Funny the dealership was packed with folks driving Boxsters, Caymans, and even the two new Macans they had.Lots of Cayenne interest too but interestingly enough I didn't see much 911 love/test drives other than the one guy ordering a GT3! I wonder what the numbers for all models are this year.

Anyway here's the requisite pics. Swapped out the 19" wheel for Satin Platinum 20" and front clear markers within 48hrs of having her home. Much better. Tint is next.

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 06-16-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PDK is like ****, everyone likes it but nobody admits to it.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:18 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
PDK is like ****, everyone likes it but nobody admits to it.
When I ordered our Boxster S the PDK was awful. Up buttons and down buttons on each side of the steering wheel front and back. I could not make the adjustment from our Ferrari paddle shifter car...right lever is for upshifts and left lever is for downshifts.

I beleive Porsche has fixed this.

another benefit of DCTs is they reportedly last for the life of the car.

My wife will only drive a manual...and they are getting harder to find, especially on the higher hp and torque cars.

Best
Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Phil, I have a manual Fiat Spider, 1971 all original, numbers matching, European edition with 60K on it that I can't drive. I have no idea who I am going to sell it to and it's going to kill me. I can't shift, a pregnant lady sent me through her windshield off of a Yamaha so to me its PDK or no sports car experience. I started shifting at age 7, my dad had a parking lot at his gas station and he gave me and my brother a fiat 500 (original) and a VW. He couldn't afford toys so he reasoned that his sons might like cars as toys, mom was THRILLED!

I think I was a pretty good "worker of the box" but I'd be a filthy liar to say I could be as good as PDK is.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

those wheels are the cat's meow on that Agate Gray...a real stunner!

congrats

p.s. welcome to the dark side

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Its here. And am pleasantly pleased. Great car! A real stunner..much better than my 997. Did I make the right choice..yes I think so!

Funny the dealership was packed with folks driving Boxsters, Caymans, and even the two new Macans they had.Lots of Cayenne interest too but interestingly enough I didn't see much 911 love/test drives other than the one guy ordering a GT3! I wonder what the numbers for all models are this year.

Anyway here's the requisite pics. Swapped out the 19" wheel for Satin Platinum 20" and front clear markers within 48hrs of having her home. Much better. Tint is next.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Phil, I have a manual Fiat Spider, 1971 all original, numbers matching, European edition with 60K on it that I can't drive. I have no idea who I am going to sell it to and it's going to kill me. I can't shift, a pregnant lady sent me through her windshield off of a Yamaha so to me its PDK or no sports car experience. I started shifting at age 7, my dad had a parking lot at his gas station and he gave me and my brother a fiat 500 (original) and a VW. He couldn't afford toys so he reasoned that his sons might like cars as toys, mom was THRILLED!

I think I was a pretty good "worker of the box" but I'd be a filthy liar to say I could be as good as PDK is.
It's unfortunate to lose that ability prematurely, I know I would be devastated.

I have a 911E Sportomatic and I have to say it is the closest thing to a manual that I have ever driven. It uses a microswitch and vacuum assist to actuate a clutch. So you have to shift through the gears like a manual but you don't need the third pedal, you just grab the shift **** and the switch actuates the clutch. I've found that once the gearbox is warmed up you can shift just as fast as a regular manual and the gearbox performs flawlessly. I am totally in awe of the technology that existed 45 years ago. You might consider such a car if you still want the simpler experience without the third pedal.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:17 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Not shifting is easier to take than the other fine attributes that come with the experience.

Quick Reply: Drove a 981 Cayman PDK today...