Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, I can't get my MAF out!! I've be wresting for hours!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:29 AM
JacobToronto
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, I can't get my MAF out!! I've be wresting for hours!!

Any help is much appreciated. I have a 2005 Boxster base 987. The idle has been erratic and stalls. I need to clean/replace it if necessary. I just replace the air filter with an original filter as it was fairly dirty. I can now feel that the MAF is full of oil in my attempt below to remove it and the housing.

I tried to remove just the sensor from the housing but no luck as I need a 5 point torx security bit that they don't sell in Canada and 2-3 weeks from ebay (too long a wait). So I figured I would just remove the MAF + the housing it comes in. Well my nightmare of 4-5 hours of wresting with it just begun!

This setup is much tighter than the 986 pics and tutorials I have seen. Has anyone in the forum removed this successfully on a 987?

As you can see from the pics and video I have attached, it just won't come out of the engine compartment, there is just not enough clearance. How has anyone done this? How does a porsche mechanic get it out? I have 4-5 hours of scrapes and cuts on me and I'm sure I'm missing something simple!?!?

There must be a better way. please see the attachment and please help. BTW - In the process I dropped a house clamp from the elbow of the intake into the engine. I'm sure it will fall out somewhere, but have no idea how I will put this all back, it is soooo tight to work there!!

I have attached a youtube and 3 pics..

Attached Images    
Old 04-20-2014, 09:09 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best advise, IMO, carefully locate the clamp that fell into the intake, this is priority one. That clamp is not simply going to fall harmlessly to the floor below for recollection, in fact it could go further into the intake and cause real problems. Do whatever is necessary to get that out, if that means further dis assembly you need to do it. They make extended arm magnets, remote grabbers and mirrors on extend arms, I own all three. One or all of these items may help in the retrieval. Once you get it out go celebrate by buying the torx set, you can't work on a Porsche without one anyway. I have not studied the space as I have not encountered any MAF issues. However if you can remove both torx and therefore the MAF, with the system back to factory placement I would work toward that end being mindful any vacuum leaks will also be a problem.

PS Take it from a kid who started holding wrenches young, don't force parts when you're working, nothing good comes from forcing stuff. Observe, gently manipulate the part position and use your mind to visualize the way to remove or assemble it. When and if you hit the wall, walk away, close up shop and go relax then return to project another day, good luck to you.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Tommy 5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Best advise, IMO, carefully locate the clamp that fell into the intake, this is priority one. That clamp is not simply going to fall harmlessly to the floor below for recollection, in fact it could go further into the intake and cause real problems. Do whatever is necessary to get that out, if that means further dis assembly you need to do it. They make extended arm magnets, remote grabbers and mirrors on extend arms, I own all three. One or all of these items may help in the retrieval. Once you get it out go celebrate by buying the torx set, you can't work on a Porsche without one anyway. I have not studied the space as I have not encountered any MAF issues. However if you can remove both torx and therefore the MAF, with the system back to factory placement I would work toward that end being mindful any vacuum leaks will also be a problem.

PS Take it from a kid who started holding wrenches young, don't force parts when you're working, nothing good comes from forcing stuff. Observe, gently manipulate the part position and use your mind to visualize the way to remove or assemble it. When and if you hit the wall, walk away, close up shop and go relax then return to project another day, good luck to you.
Well said!
Old 12-20-2022, 10:19 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Old thread - How did you finally get the MAF out? Replacing mine. Crazy Porsche captured it like this!
Old 12-26-2022, 06:41 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Okay I have figured this out in case anyone else searches for this.

Disconnect the air oil hoses from the intake - blue arrow - this just allows these to move a little
Unbolt the wire loom bracket - Green arrow - this allows this wire loom to move to make some room.
Take the rubber intake boot off between the throttle body and the maf. You really need to bend and contour this to get it out. My old boot ripped.
Maf comes out next - you have to maneuver it all around. Do not force it.
Drop the Maf down about an inch in the yellow hole so you can orientate it.. The airbox end, wider flange comes up first. The electrical connector faces the back of the car. Use the "dent" blue circle up against the throttle body. Push against the wire loom and loose hoses. Work it out. It will come free.
On the install side the airbox end o-ring goes in first then the maf comes after. My o-ring came out with the old maf. Also, I installed the boot between the maf and throttle body without clamps because you really need to compress it to get in on the maf first then the throttle body. Unhook the clamps and run them around then connect them again, use a mirror and make sure the boot and clamp are positioned correctly on the bottom side of both ends.

Hope that helps and all makes sense. Also note if you wanted to change the crank sensor like I did, with maf out its a 10 min job.

The following 6 users liked this post by gman3280:
clib (12-29-2022), MrMoose (12-26-2022), plafondles (12-27-2022), Rocket3004 (12-26-2022), Schwinn (12-27-2022), Zero SPF (12-27-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:24 PM
Rocket3004
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the follow up to help future members!

Quick Reply: Please help, I can't get my MAF out!! I've be wresting for hours!!