Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Coilovers on boxster spyder

Old 04-14-2014, 09:08 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Coilovers on boxster spyder

The spyder is an amazingly well balanced vehicle as it comes from the factory. That said has anyone upgraded to a coil over set up on either the Spyder or Cayman R and if so what have you noticed?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
The spyder is an amazingly well balanced vehicle as it comes from the factory. That said has anyone upgraded to a coil over set up on either the Spyder or Cayman R and if so what have you noticed?
I'm not running a coilover setup on my spyder, but let me just put in my thoughts. Most of time, these threads end up with purely subjective responses (like "yeah, it's more planted and it feels much faster"), anyway. My response is subjective as well, but based on pseudo science:

TC Kline, a well respected tuner (primarily BMWs, but have moved to Porsche as well) had a boxster spyder with a custom tuned Sachs coilover kit. Let's assume that TC Kline knows what they are doing and this is a good setup: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...guna-seca.html

TC Kline ran this Boxster spyder at MRLS and ran 1:42.7 My boxster spyder at MRLS runs 1:41.7 A one second difference.

The primary differences between these 2 cars are:
1) driver
2) Tires. TC Kline was running Yokohama Ad08, whereas I'm running NT01
3) Suspension. Other than adjustable LCA, I am stock. TC Kline was running a custom tuned Sachs coilover setup

Let's assume that the AD08 are 1-2 seconds slower than NT01. (Edit: reference removed because incorrect) If we take the assumption that the AD08s are 1 second slower than NT01, then both the TC Kline spyder and mine were running identical times. Based on this, there are 3 conclusions you could come to:

1) Assuming I am an equal driver with TC Kline, there is NO difference in performance with the custom coilover.
2) Assuming TC Kline is a better driver than me, the coilover set actually made him slower. I think that if I hit all of my marks, that I could get a 1:40, and a better driver could get at least a 1:39 or better.
3) Assuming I am a better driver than TC Kline, the coilover set only made a marginal improvement in lap time.

In any proposed conclusion, there isn't much of a difference. My opinion, therefore, is that the only reason to get a custom coilover is to lower the car more than stock without affecting performance negatively like lowering springs usually do. Throw in the fact that Randy Pobst does 1:41 at Laguna with a bone factory stock Cayman R, and that further supports my opinion.

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-15-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

That is the type of answer I was looking for, thank you, very informative
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'm not running a coilover setup on my spyder, but let me just put in my thoughts. Most of time, these threads end up with purely subjective responses (like "yeah, it's more planted and it feels much faster"), anyway. My response is subjective as well, but based on pseudo science:

TC Kline, a well respected tuner (primarily BMWs, but have moved to Porsche as well) had a boxster spyder with a custom tuned Sachs coilover kit. Let's assume that TC Kline knows what they are doing and this is a good setup:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...guna-seca.html

TC Kline ran this Boxster spyder at MRLS and ran 1:42.7
My boxster spyder at MRLS runs 1:41.7
A one second difference.

The primary differences between these 2 cars are:
1) driver
2) Tires. TC Kline was running Yokohama Ad08, whereas I'm running NT01
3) Suspension. Other than adjustable LCA, I am stock. TC Kline was running a custom tuned Sachs coilover setup

Let's assume that the AD08 are 1-2 seconds slower than NT01. According to this guy's nice comparison review, he was consistently 1 second slower with AD08s over NT01:
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...1-htrziii.html

If we take the assumption that the AD08s are 1 second slower than NT01, then both the TC Kline spyder and mine were running identical times. Based on this, there are 3 conclusions you could come to:

1) Assuming I am an equal driver with TC Kline, there is NO difference in performance with the custom coilover.
2) Assuming TC Kline is a better driver than me, the coilover set actually made him slower. I think that if I hit all of my marks, that I could get a 1:40, and a better driver could get at least a 1:39 or better.
3) Assuming I am a better driver than TC Kline, the coilover set only made a marginal improvement in lap time.

In any proposed conclusion, there isn't much of a difference. My opinion, therefore, is that the only reason to get a custom coilover is to lower the car more than stock without affecting performance negatively like lowering springs usually do.

Throw in the fact that Randy Pobst does 1:41 at Laguna with a bone factory stock Cayman R, and that further supports my opinion.
Good post, Joe! Congratulations on your low timing at Laguna!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by f4 plt
That is the type of answer I was looking for, thank you, very informative
Anytime!

Originally Posted by Z356
Good post, Joe! Congratulations on your low timing at Laguna! Saludos, Eduardo Carmel .
Thanks, Ed!

I should add that one reason I think people run more expensive coilovers like motons is that they probably take advantage of sticky tires like Hoosiers better than the stock suspension that was designed for street tires. So, if you plan to run R6 type of tires, there is likely an advantage to a GOOD set of aftermarket coilovers.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Whoops. I just went back and read the planet 9 tire comparo graph. Not a good data point because those were times on different cars AND I read the chart incorrectly. M3 vs cayman S. I would still guess that the ad08 are 1-2 seconds slower than nt01, but I have no proof.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:05 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize small differences added together equal an edge. However since none of us are racing to eat, at what cost are the tweaks? Here's an example, I treated myself to some titanium lugs because I like the look. I weighed them and indeed they are lighter than stock but at six ounces each the needs / benefit analysis breaks apart. Buying them for the look was one thing, to say they are part of a weight reduction strategy wouldn't be a lie but face it you could "86" the front carpet and likely be close! Yeah I know rotational weight reduction is better and so on but you get the point, Spyder is a very sharp road knife right out of the Ginzu box. I thought about a lightweight battery for a while, then again concluded how much will that alter the experience? My two cents regardless of model is to buy the tires than might hurt a little to procure if you really want your car to come alive.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:37 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends on the track, but I would think NT-01s are more than 1-2 seconds faster than AD08s... but I don't have any data to back that up.

As far as lightweight batteries, you can get significant savings for not that much money by going with Braille AGM 21 lb:

Amazon.com: Braille Battery B3121 Lightweight Racing Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: Braille Battery B3121 Lightweight Racing Battery: Automotive

I've been running it since late last year. Someone online says that it's the same battery as Deka EXT30L ($100 on Amazon).

Get 10" J-hooks instead of the aluminum bracket they sell - it doesn't fit in Spyders. I have 8" J-hooks but should've gotten 10".
Old 04-14-2014, 05:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I realize small differences added together equal an edge. However since none of us are racing to eat, at what cost are the tweaks? Here's an example, I treated myself to some titanium lugs because I like the look. I weighed them and indeed they are lighter than stock but at six ounces each the needs / benefit analysis breaks apart. Buying them for the look was one thing, to say they are part of a weight reduction strategy wouldn't be a lie but face it you could "86" the front carpet and likely be close! Yeah I know rotational weight reduction is better and so on but you get the point, Spyder is a very sharp road knife right out of the Ginzu box. I thought about a lightweight battery for a while, then again concluded how much will that alter the experience? My two cents regardless of model is to buy the tires than might hurt a little to procure if you really want your car to come alive.
I do remember Ben telling me that after switching to the voltphreaks light weight lithium battery, his lap times were no better. Same thing when he switched to bucket seats too. You guys all know that Ben knows how to drive well, so it's not like he's leaving a ton of time on the table. You're right. I don't think incremental changes do much, but if you add up enough of them, you'll eventually see a difference. Eventually.... Lol
Originally Posted by the_vetman
Depends on the track, but I would think NT-01s are more than 1-2 seconds faster than AD08s... but I don't have any data to back that up.
Weren't you the one that said your experience was that NT01 was only 1-2 second better than mpss? I would argue that nt01 is more like 2-3 seconds faster than mpss. I'm gonna say that ad08 is stickier than mpss. Therefore..... I await your counter response !

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-15-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Weren't you the one that said your experience was that NT01 was only 1-2 second better than mpss? I would argue that nt01 is more like 2-3 seconds faster than mpss. I'm gonna say that that ad08 is stickier than mpss. Therefore..... I await your ounter response !
Case of mistaken identity, perhaps? No, I didn't say NT01s were 1-2 seconds quicker than MPSS. I thought there was going to be this huge difference when I went to NT01s but found the grip and performance to be not as different as I thought they were going to be. Don't remember comparative times, however.

In my particular case, it could've been A) too much expectation switching to NT01s, or B) MPSS is that good as a street tire. Can't comment on AD08s since I've never tried them.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I thought there was going to be this huge difference when I went to NT01s but found the grip and performance to be not as different as I thought they were going to be.
Ah. This is the part I am remembering. I consider 2-3 seconds a big difference. I guess I then pulled 1-2 seconds out of my 'you know what' as a correlation.

I think ad08 is in the same league as hankook rs3, bfg rival, and direzza zii. All stickier than mpss

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coilovers on boxster spyder