Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on PCA 59th Porsche Parade - Monterey, CA - June 15-21, 2014!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy 5
Eduardo, thanks for posting all of that information. Kinda makes me regret that I waited too long before asking for the time off work so I could attend...

Will you be posting photos from the parade events during the week?
Thanks for posting. I am hoping others will post photos...hopefully I am not the only member of this forum that will be in attendance. But yes, I plan to post some photos if I have time.

As an aside, I just got a call back from Sean Cridland who is the Chairperson for both the PCA Parade Website and 2014 Parade Historic Display. He clarified to me that the staging on Sunday will be for the Historic Display cars only. He is expecting around 45 cars for Historic and some of them will be race cars that might have a difficult time negotiating the undulations of the golf course from staging area to actual site of the display. So he got special permission to stage some of the Historic cars on Sunday. He believes that the staging for all cars participating on the Concours on Monday morning between 4 AM and 7 AM will be 'chaotic' given the number of cars expected for the competitive part of the Concours. But that will not effect the folks that are just coming to see the magnificent display of cars on the lawn at the Del Monte Golf course later that Monday day!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-06-2014, 03:36 PM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys, particularly you Eduardo, really do a great job in keeping the rest of us up on the Porsche goings-on. I was I was on the proper coast to get to this event and meet some folks!

For those going, please do remember to slip a few drinks to any insiders and ask them about the Cayman GT4.

-nh4.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Parade Banquet Parking Information

Originally Posted by nh4
You guys, particularly you Eduardo, really do a great job in keeping the rest of us up on the Porsche goings-on. I was I was on the proper coast to get to this event and meet some folks!

For those going, please do remember to slip a few drinks to any insiders and ask them about the Cayman GT4.

-nh4.
OK, will do!

If you are a Parade entrant, you would have received this email yesterday:

"Welcome Party on Sunday
The Welcome Banquet will be held at the Custom House Plaza in downtown Monterey. We have negotiated a $5 rate in the parking structure, and the flat lot next to the plaza. Our Zone 3 Rep and sign guru Jim Cambron, will light the way to these areas with signage.

Concours Banquet on Tuesday
The Concours Banquet will be held at the Hyatt. We will be able to use the Del Monte golf course's parking adjacent to the Hyatt as well as the church parking lot, again adjacent to the Hyatt. However, we just don't know how full that Hyatt lot will be, so will provide shuttles from Monterey Peninsula College. If you don't want to be frustrated by coming to the Hyatt and not being able to find a spot, just go directly to MPC and take the shuttle.

TSD Rally Banquet on Wednesday
This banquet will be held at the Monterey Fairgrounds, and has plenty of parking for all.

AX Banquet on Friday
The AX Banquet will be held at the Carmel Mission and a parking diagram is attached.

Victory Banquet on Saturday
Our final banquet will again be at the Hyatt, and we anticipate being able to accommodate everyone in the parking lots there.

There are no shuttles to any of the banquets.

Susan Brown
Parade Chair"

The only good news here is that I can walk to & from the Carmel Mission Autocross Banquet from my home in Carmel Point...so I will be able to drink some wine...or a few beers!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 06-11-2014, 02:19 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Eduardo I hope I have a chance to buy you one of those beers or glasses of wine as a thank you, for this and all of you other informative RL strings.

Cheers
Mark
ABM Spyder
Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Latest News on Concours Prep at Parade this weekend!

Latest email from Parade Chair Susan Brown:

"Concours Prep:

Sites will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. These are the three options, you may choose based on availability at the time of your arrival:

Hyatt Regency Conference Center Garage & covered parking
30 – 35 spaces maximum.

Monterey Fairgrounds Salinas Room – off-site, but covered – we anticipate approximately 25 spaces
As this is indoor, rules apply for bringing vehicles inside:

Fuel no more than ¼ tank
Locked or taped gas cap
Batteries must be disconnected

Monterey Peninsula College – open lots, roving security – plenty of spaces for Porsches in lower lot A, trailers & tow vehicles in upper lot A. No water available there.

Both indoor locations are open to buckets of water brought into these buildings, though we will not have a car wash at the Fairgrounds. We also suggest waterless options related to the water shortage in California.

Concours Prep spaces are available from Friday (June 13th) through Monday (June 16th) at 8:00am. For times, see the entrant schedule on the Parade website http://parade2014.pca.org/

Flammable liquids are prohibited. There will be no aerosol products (especially painting supplies) allowed inside the building. All painting must occur outside at least 500 feet from any entrance."

After receiving this email, I asked Concours Co-Chair Ron Gordon the following questions:

1) Space open to any Parade entrant and not just limited to those staying at Hyatt, correct?

2) Our concours entry car can stay in the garage until Monday early morning for the staging between 4 am & 7 am, correct?

3) Security will be provide 24 hours for the cars during the Friday to Monday morning concours prep period at the Hyatt Conference Center garage, correct?

His response:

"Eduardo,

Correct to all three."

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Eduardo I hope I have a chance to buy you one of those beers or glasses of wine as a thank you, for this and all of you other informative RL strings.

Cheers
Mark
ABM Spyder
Mark

Thank you! That is a nice gesture. Looking forward running into you next week ...hopefully while thirsty!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-12-2014, 01:56 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Eduardo,

Where will the historic display cars be placed? Will this be on Sunday only or also during the concours. Sounds like I need to be there to take pics when no one is around
Old 06-12-2014, 02:00 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Saw on the parade site it will be Monday so works for me!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mile2424
Hi Eduardo,

Where will the historic display cars be placed? Will this be on Sunday only or also during the concours. Sounds like I need to be there to take pics when no one is around
As you already figured out Aaron, the Historic Display will be just a part of the general field Concours on Monday, June 16th at the Del Monte.

On Sunday late afternoon, they will begin staging ONLY some of the Historic Display cars (e.g. the low-clearance race cars from Canepa & others) so that not every placement on the field is jammed into the next day's Monday morning 'rush hour' between 4 am & 7 am! For your type of photography, Aaron, I suggest you get there very early on Monday morning and get your shots in when the fewest people are around!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-12-2014, 03:18 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Reading my mind Eduardo! Also hopefully a little Monterey fog will be in effect since it makes for nice morning light!

Do you know if there will be any cars from the Factory as well, i.e., museum cars?

Last edited by mile2424; 06-12-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added more
Old 06-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Folks: The Hyatt Regency Monterey Conference Center (Underground) Garage is operational as of this hour - Thursday at 2 pm - and already had 2 Porsches in there prepping - a 'Speed Yellow' 911 Turbo & a 'White' Cayman R when I went to reconnoiter the location a few hours ago! So if you are in the area already and need covered & secured concours prep area, get there ASAP since spaces are limited!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Special Complimentary Wine Tasting at Bernardus for US!

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Just as a side note Eduardo. (As you will probably know) Ben Pon sr. was the man that was responsible for idea of the Volkswagen van that becamse so famous all over the world. PON is indeed the VAG and Porsche importer in the Netherlands (also one of the richest families in the Netherlands BTW)
As this previous exchange in the 991 forum with Suzy991 (who hails originally from Holland although she now lives in Switzerland) demonstrates, Ben Pon of Bernardus Winery has very close ties to Porsche & auto racing. And it gave me the idea to try to see if they could do something special for those of you reading this blog that are coming to Monterey next week for this historic grand gathering of Porsches!

Thus, I have arranged for Bernardus Winery to offer friends attending the Porsche Parade a complimentary tasting at their tasting room in Carmel Valley village! As many of you know, Ben Pon was a very accomplished driver of Porsche race cars in the 1960's. And his family's business is the company that imports Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Škoda and Porsche for Holland. Although Ben is currently in Europe, I contacted Mike Oprish (Managing Director), Rob Baker (Director of Sales & Marketing) and Stanley Rogalsky (Tasting Room Manager) to see if they could do something, anything, for us as a small gesture. And I just got this very positive reply from Rob Baker, along with a bespoke invitation on their corporate letterhead (see attachment #1):

"Eduardo- For the tasting room we can offer a complimentary tasting of 3 of Mr Bernardus Pons favorite newly released summer time wines -- Griva Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, Saignee (Rose’) of Pinot Noir Santa Lucia Highlands and Chardonnay Monterey County. We will run this Monday June 16th-Thursday June 19th. The guest can identify themselves as part of the Porsche group"

If you have the time during Porsche Parade next week between Monday, June 16th and Thursday June 19th, please visit the Bernardus Winery Tasting Room in Carmel Valley and ask for your free wine tasting! This is an exclusive invitation for those of you here at Rennlist reading this blog and for my Porsche friends that I know are coming to the Parade! As an aside, I have already tasted their just-released 2012 Monterey County Chardonnay and it's excellent!

By the way, while you are at the Bernardus tasting room, please ask Manager Stanley Rogalsky (or any member of his staff - Philip, Chelsey or Brittany) to show you the book that European automotive journalist Ton Roks has published about Ben Pon...and which is exclusively for for sale at the winery! In its 147 pages, you will find many fascinating photos of Ben when he was racing Porsches - e.g. 356 Speedster, Carrera Abarth, 904 gts, 906, 910 - in the 1960's, plus the full story of Ben's singularly interesting life! Below is the link to the competition history of Ben Pon, which included races at LeMans, Sebring, Daytona, Nürburgring, Hockenheim, Solitude, Zandvoort, Zolder, Spa, Reims, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Mugello, Monza et al. As you can see, Ben drove the best race cars you could get from the Porsche factory in those years!

http://www.racingsportscars.com/driv...en-Pon-NL.html

I have included below several photos of my personal copy of this excellent Ben Pon book for your perusal!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images                
Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

I got to the Hyatt Regency Conference Center underground parking on Thursday at noon and there were only a few Porsches prepping (photo 1, 2, 3). That will change starting tomorrow morning. I anticipate that space (35/40 cars max) at the Hyatt will fill out quickly by early morning. Be prepare to go to alternative B, the Salinas Room at the Monterey Fairgrounds. It is just down the street from the Hyatt. Follow Mark Thomas Drive (north), go over the overpass (over route 68), turn right at Garden Road and almost immediately take a Left into parking lot when you see sign for 'Monterey Pines Golf Course'. Enter at Gate 1. Salinas Room. See attached photos I took this afternoon to help you out. The gate will be open at 7 AM/8AM on Friday (tomorrow). This is your last covered option for Concours Prep at this Parade. So caveat lector.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Got here yesterday about noon and spent the afternoon get 1700 miles of dust and grime off the Spyder. Go to work this morning helping to set up Sunday's check in.

Eduardo, if you are out this way Friday I will be either around the car outside of building 15 or in the conference center

Jack
Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Forgot to include the picture of our little wagon train along the way. By the way, the Spyder got better mileage towing at 70-75 than it did in California towing at 55 mph which is the California law
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2014, 09:43 AM
nh4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Forgot to include the picture of our little wagon train along the way. By the way, the Spyder got better mileage towing at 70-75 than it did in California towing at 55 mph which is the California law
Awesome! I don't think I could bring myself to tow a trailer with a non-SUV Porsche but I think it makes for a great photo! Probably also made for some interesting looks from the other folks on the highway!

-nh4.

Quick Reply: Info on PCA 59th Porsche Parade - Monterey, CA - June 15-21, 2014!