Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Interesting. I'm about 5'9" (maybe little less) and the harnesses have been working very well for me with stock roll bars. In fact, I strap myself in so tight that it makes me scoot down slightly. So, for me, the harnesses work with the stock roll bars.

I can't speak to HANS compatibility since I haven't used one with stock 987 roll bars and harnesses. Instead, I wear a thick firm foam neck collar on the track. These are often looked down upon as not providing much/enough protection, but I can't move less than an inch in any direction (360) and they at least provide sideways protection unlike HANS.
I remember reading articles/posts that explained how the collar could actually make things WORSE as it acts as a lever over which the helmet can rotate during an accident thus adding a rotational component to the damaging acceleration/force.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Interesting. I'm about 5'9" (maybe little less) and the harnesses have been working very well for me with stock roll bars. In fact, I strap myself in so tight that it makes me scoot down slightly. So, for me, the harnesses work with the stock roll bars.
That extra inch you have on me probably....wait... Being TALLER by one inch probably does make a difference. Still not perfect since ideally the mounting points should be slightly below the shoulder.

Instead, I wear a thick firm foam neck collar on the track. These are often looked down upon as not providing much/enough protection, but I can't move less than an inch in any direction (360) and they at least provide sideways protection unlike HANS.
Originally Posted by hf1
I remember reading articles/posts that explained how the collar could actually make things WORSE as it acts as a lever over which the helmet can rotate during an accident thus adding a rotational component to the damaging acceleration/force.
So, for now I've been relying on the airbag since it supposedly does offer some protection from hyperflexion/horizontal shearing. Race cars don't have airbags. Street cars do. I either need to grow a few inches, or wait for a bar solution from stable energies...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:48 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
That extra inch you have on me probably....wait... Being TALLER by one inch probably does make a difference.
LOL
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't quote you exact numbers, but the stainless steel version is definitely lighter than the OEM non sport exhaust (which is lighter than the sport).

No doubt your GT3 sounds worlds better. I'm tempted to do the bypass on the 991GT3 as well. It will take some custom work to get the car to pass 90dB... what a travesty MRLS is becoming...
Well done Joe... that's MOVIN'! Surprised the remus passed but pleasantly so. I know the Tubi cars blow right through... And man how we're supposed to do 90db... that's going to be a challenge....

PS Thanks F4 Plt!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sharkster
Well done Joe... that's MOVIN'! Surprised the remus passed but pleasantly so. I know the Tubi cars blow right through... And man how we're supposed to do 90db... that's going to be a challenge....
Thank, Alex. I was relieved that the exhaust passed with zero issues, but it also underscores how sedate the exhaust is. LOL.

Is it possible to add those supertrapp discs to your turnaway pipes? Sharkybypass, with sharky turnaway pipes that will still pass Laguna is the holy grail...
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yay! Spring has sprung. Joe's videos are back!

Great time, Joe. Congratulations!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:24 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Yay! Spring has sprung. Joe's videos are back!

Great time, Joe. Congratulations!
LOL, Thanks, Steve. May 9th is next.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

LOL, Thanks, Steve. May 9th is next.
you do none in april? no way

btw, you need an HANS, buddy. i am a neck shoulder (vs. ankle foot) orthopod
Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
you do none in april? no way

btw, you need an HANS, buddy. i am a neck shoulder (vs. ankle foot) orthopod
You mean spine surgeon? LOL.
I know, I know. I want a HANS, but it won't work with my shoulder belts. I'm gonna take a look at the simpson R3.

No track day in April. I'm renting out the skidpad at Thill in april so I can destroy my OEM BRZ tires and learn how to drift. LOL.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:59 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank, Alex. I was relieved that the exhaust passed with zero issues, but it also underscores how sedate the exhaust is. LOL.

Is it possible to add those supertrapp discs to your turnaway pipes? Sharkybypass, with sharky turnaway pipes that will still pass Laguna is the holy grail...
This is really good news man... A lot of folks wanted the answer to this. I usually tell them I "don't think so".... Gives us hope eh?

Hmm I think it _is_ possible to do that for those cat-pooper scooper turn-downs... You could be right. I'll give you a set to play with when need be. Would be interesting? Plus it would look amazing
Old 03-26-2014, 06:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

This is really good news man... A lot of folks wanted the answer to this. I usually tell them I "don't think so".... Gives us hope eh? Hmm I think it _is_ possible to do that for those cat-pooper scooper turn-downs... You could be right. I'll give you a set to play with when need be. Would be interesting? Plus it would look amazing
On a 987.2, you can tell your customers with confidence that a stainless steel Remus system will pass 90dB.

You'll be hearing from me after the GT3 is delivered
Old 03-26-2014, 06:22 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

On a 987.2, you can tell your customers with confidence that a stainless steel Remus system will pass 90dB.

You'll be hearing from me after the GT3 is delivered
I would never have thought 90db....

Sounds like a plan mate!

This is so easy to install on the 991's:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=410

And the track tips can be used on it so you could play around with those and super-traps. The weirder they end up looking the BETTER
Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

The weirder they end up looking the BETTER
Agree!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:49 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This was as weird as we could make it look... but we wanted to maintain the integrity and always still be able to use them as cat pooper scoopers when not on track

Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

This was as weird as we could make it look... but we wanted to maintain the integrity and always still be able to use them as cat pooper scoopers when not on track
Yeah, I like the design, but they still won't pass 90dB sound, which is why I started to think that adding the supertrapp discs at the ends might be the ultimate solution.

Quick Reply: 1:41 laptime @ Laguna Seca in the spyder