Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:02 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The GTS is nice, but still a far cry from a Spyder.

The Spyder was a perfect storm IMO. Porsche got the green light to do whatever they wanted and pick from just about any parts bin, INCLUDING many parts from the not then released 991 and 981. It was, in some ways, one of Porsche's last driver's cars. It was far more than just a few engine tweaks and a new fender. The Spyder is unique in many ways, and I don't see them doing a version this risky for quite some time.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Goofnik
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech

The Spyder was a perfect storm IMO. Porsche got the green light to do whatever they wanted and pick from just about any parts bin, INCLUDING many parts from the not then released 991 and 981. It was, in some ways, one of Porsche's last driver's cars. It was far more than just a few engine tweaks and a new fender. The Spyder is unique in many ways, and I don't see them doing a version this risky for quite some time.
The Spyder is what really got me into showrooms. I couldn't fudge the man math enough to justify it at the time, but damned if I didn't want one.

Here in the US they had some trouble moving the ones with no A/C and the carbon fiber buckets (I've found it to be a fairly rare combo on the used market). Porsche hasn't offered the buckets since, which is a shame, since I'd get them in my Cayman GTS if I could.

Now people are starting to regard them as something they overlooked and are starting to snap them up as they come back onto the market. It's a risky car that will only sell in low numbers (US moved 891 units), but I think if they price it accordingly (like Motor Trend's rumor) and add additional power to increase appeal they'll make enough money on them to where they'll hopefully be willing to take another risk. I said the Cayman GTS will be my only Porsche ever, but a new Spyder would make me reconsider (I've got a few years to save).
Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Goofnik
Advanced

As an update, I finally got a commission number from the original dealership I was working with. Slated for a September delivery.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goofnik
The Spyder is what really got me into showrooms. I couldn't fudge the man math enough to justify it at the time, but damned if I didn't want one.

Here in the US they had some trouble moving the ones with no A/C and the carbon fiber buckets (I've found it to be a fairly rare combo on the used market). Porsche hasn't offered the buckets since, which is a shame, since I'd get them in my Cayman GTS if I could.
I too was drawn in by the Spyder. I loved the look with the speedster humps and the idea of the lighter weight chasis. I didn't, however, fit into the sport buckets, being a large framed guy. I had the opportunity to spec out a dealers one remaining build back in 2010 but eventually decided against it and bought a Shelby GT500 instead. While I really enjoyed my years with the Shelby and it's monstrous power, I have been lured back to Porsche, this time for the gorgeous 981 BS.

Glad you got your order confirmation, by the way.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:57 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything medtech said with the only addition being I bought mine at a price point insanely less than the new ride will be.

PS speed carried into the wall controls whether you get to live to see the displacement and measure the torque
Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

Not really. When I called that dealer I mentioned that I'd be looking for a 3% minimum discount, and ideally wanted 4% as I felt that was plenty fair. They were willing to do the 4%. They're trying to do a dealer trade as we speak, in which then we'd know a build date and whether I'll move ahead.
I didn't mean your deal was fishy, I meant their comment about only 36 units being allotted sounded fishy, sorry. It seems that many forum members, here and on P-9, are having no problem getting a GTS build allottment and I would think that if they were really that limited, that would not be the case. Anyway, very glad you got your allotted build slot.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
True...but this new GTS model is getting some very positive reviews! Here is one from Steve Sutcliffe in England just posted by 'neanicu' over at the 991 gt3 forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxXr...ature=youtu.be

http://www.autocar.co.uk/users/steve-sutcliffe

Some of you might find the forum comments of interest too!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...gt3-sales.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Veterans - Thank you for your service!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Goofnik
Advanced

Originally Posted by Speeddeacon
I didn't mean your deal was fishy, I meant their comment about only 36 units being allotted sounded fishy, sorry. It seems that many forum members, here and on P-9, are having no problem getting a GTS build allottment and I would think that if they were really that limited, that would not be the case. Anyway, very glad you got your allotted build slot.
I live within 20-25 miles of five Porsche dealers. So far, only 2 have been given an allocation within the first two rounds (one a Premier dealership). The dealer I'm working with is actually about 60 miles out (also a Premier dealership).

In 2013, Porsche sold ~8,000 Boxster/Caymans in the U.S. Assuming we stay between 8-10K cars (let's call it 9K), with a 60/40 Boxster/Cayman split, and Porsche's intended 15% sold are GTS, you're looking at... ((9000 * 0.4) * 0.15) = 540 Cayman GTSes a year, or 1.7 cars per dealer per year (323 US dealers). That'd be 45 Cayman GTSes a month slated for the US. 36 for the first month of production would not be crazy.

If 540 a year seems low, it's certainly not. I know the number of Boxster Spyders sold in the US was 891 units over its two year run.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM
JJ Cleghorne
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
this is exciting.
now that front bumper is so so.
fender not wide enough.
and WHERE IS THE BIG A** WING. no wing is no GTS.
keep it light, forget the stupid options.
The GT4 will have the big a$$ wing on it.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

36 for the first month of production would not be crazy.
Ahh, first month allocation, I didn't realize you were speaking about a single month's allocation, I thought you were were talking annual. I misread your comment evidently. That sounds reasonable.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Caymanman1970
Intermediate

Would have loved the GTS but was too eager for one so got an S. Been treating well thus far minus a boo boo from parking garage. Any thoughts on exhaust options?

Quick Reply: 981 GTS