Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max oil level exceeded??

Old 02-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
But checking a couple of things and looking at the evidence tells me my car was filled to within an RCH of the max level sensor and I need to drain about a half quart of oil, which I will do when my replacement filters and drain plug get here AND i can get a local indie to rent me the time on a lift so I can get-er done.
If you are just wanting to drain about a 1/2 quart, all you need to do is remove the oil filter canister. This will allow only about the amount of oil that is in the canister to be removed, and you can leave the drain plug alone.
In fact, you don't even need to wait for your new filter to show up to do this as you can reuse the filter if it is nearly new.
A lift makes it all easier to work on but the canister and plug are very easy to get to, and just putting the car up on jackstands (rear only if you want) makes access easy.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
If you are just wanting to drain about a 1/2 quart, all you need to do is remove the oil filter canister. This will allow only about the amount of oil that is in the canister to be removed, and you can leave the drain plug alone.
In fact, you don't even need to wait for your new filter to show up to do this as you can reuse the filter if it is nearly new.
A lift makes it all easier to work on but the canister and plug are very easy to get to, and just putting the car up on jackstands (rear only if you want) makes access easy.
Thank you VERY much for this info. The amount of oil I would lose when I pulled the filter was the only real question I had. Good to hear that the system wont drain if I just pull the filter.
If this forum had a like button, your post would have gotten one. Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:42 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Just noticed your definitions of understeer, etc. I like them do you mind if I borrow them?
Absolutely, be my guest! (of course we may both have to answer to whoever I stole it from)...
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Absolutely, be my guest! (of course we may both have to answer to whoever I stole it from)...
Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Max oil level exceeded??