Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your tips on Boxster winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Jdmada
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive it!

I live in Michigan where we have pretty nasty winters. For 4 years i put my 2005 S up on jacks, inflated the tires to 59 psi, added Stabil, yada yada. Then I bought an airplane. There is a wealth of data that shows aircraft piston engines will suffer corrosion much faster if mot operated regularly, regardless of weather. After then understanding what happens to engines when you don’t operate them regularly i decided to start driving the car whenever the roads were dry and free if ice, snow and salt. Fortunately, there are usually several opportunities a month to drive the car at temp to keep the internal surfaces well oiled and moisture to a minimum. I say drive the car if you can.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdmada
I live in Michigan where we have pretty nasty winters. For 4 years i put my 2005 S up on jacks, inflated the tires to 59 psi, added Stabil, yada yada. Then I bought an airplane. There is a wealth of data that shows aircraft piston engines will suffer corrosion much faster if mot operated regularly, regardless of weather. After then understanding what happens to engines when you don’t operate them regularly i decided to start driving the car whenever the roads were dry and free if ice, snow and salt. Fortunately, there are usually several opportunities a month to drive the car at temp to keep the internal surfaces well oiled and moisture to a minimum. I say drive the car if you can.
I'm a year 'round Boxster driver here, so that's one option.

If not, the above is what I did with the race car. Get a good day, warm and drive until all operating temps are up and then some. I typically could find a nice enough day about every 3 weeks during the winter. Would have been easier with a car that still had side windows

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Your tips on Boxster winter storage