Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise at low RPMs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:33 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 68 Posts

Yeah, I drove the car for 10 minutes. And after I couldn't replicate it, they put it on a lift. So we let the car cool down for 2 hours, and then went back out on a drive again. Nothing. Take the car back home, and the next day, I hear it again, and it does it to this day. It's very minor. I'm not sure if it's anything other than just a noisy motor.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:43 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Looks like I might have been right about the water pump going bad. The car has been leaking coolant this week. Today, the light came on. I think the waterpump's failure is imminent. Will try to get it over to Raleigh tomorrow (2.5 hour drive).

The sound that I was trying to get other people to hear is still there. But for some reason, no one can hear it but me, which is odd, because I feel like I lost some of my hearing in Afghanistan. But now there is also a slight grinding noise as well. Just sounds like a bearing going bad.

Had this car been out of warranty, I would have replaced it by now. But since it is still CPOd, I definitely wanted this replaced under warranty.
Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The water pump has probably already failed, if it is the source of a coolant leak. All driving the car 2.5 hours will likely result in is the water pump failing catastrophically and at best stranding you. Worst is the pump failure may take out the engine.

If the car is a CPO car my advise is to call Porsche roadside assistance and arrange to have the car picked up and taken in to be fixed. If you get any push back stress you fear for your wellbeing/safety in the car for should it break down it could cause an accident. Even being stranded on the side of the road is some safety hazard from a wandering car due to driver distraction.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
The water pump has probably already failed, if it is the source of a coolant leak. All driving the car 2.5 hours will likely result in is the water pump failing catastrophically and at best stranding you. Worst is the pump failure may take out the engine.

If the car is a CPO car my advise is to call Porsche roadside assistance and arrange to have the car picked up and taken in to be fixed. If you get any push back stress you fear for your wellbeing/safety in the car for should it break down it could cause an accident. Even being stranded on the side of the road is some safety hazard from a wandering car due to driver distraction.
I called roadside assistance. It looks like they're coming now to pick it up. Wasn't sure if they would be able to get on board a military installation, but I guess they just use the local tow truck services, who should have passes. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Shouldn't have any problems getting into a military installation at least a base to pick up a car. I've been admitted to military bases and other government installations in the past on business with nothing more than a valid CA driver license and the phone number of the person I'm to see/meet with to confirm I have valid business with him or her.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Shouldn't have any problems getting into a military installation at least a base to pick up a car. I've been admitted to military bases and other government installations in the past on business with nothing more than a valid CA driver license and the phone number of the person I'm to see/meet with to confirm I have valid business with him or her.
Well that's disconcerting...
Old 12-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Well, I never tried to gain entrance to top secret sites or things like that. And I do not know what groundwork was done by the person, manager or group leader I was going to see. And save for a visit to a federal government facility (not a military base) earlier this year it has been years since I have been on military bases or installations so the rules of access may be much tighter.

Regardless, you need to get the car flat bedded to someplace to get the water pump addressed.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Just got the call from the dealer. My waterpump is 'fine'.

1) Coolant leak was from the cap, supposedly. I've never touched the coolant cap, so I'm not sure why it was doing this, but apparently it was leaking from the cap area.
2) Alternator bearing was shot.
3) Tensioner was going bad too.

So, I guess after all of this, I get a new tensioner and alternator. Waterpump lives to see another day.

Quick Reply: Engine noise at low RPMs.