Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to make the car's oil warm up quicker?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:47 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Question for 981WC: Why are you in a hurry for your oil to heat up? What's the rush?

Are there any adverse consequences to your current situation?
Would things be better if the oil heated more quickly?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:31 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
Question for 981WC: Why are you in a hurry for your oil to heat up? What's the rush?

Are there any adverse consequences to your current situation?
Would things be better if the oil heated more quickly?
It is commonly recommended to keep the revs down until the oil (not coolant) has fully warmed up. In other words, don't ring it out until the oil is at operating temp.

I always do this before I go out on the track. If it's not possible, I short shift at 4-5k RPM for a lap or two.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not getting the pleasure out of your car that you intended because of this, then drive it more aggressively prior to warm-up. While I don't doubt conventional wisdom, I also believe that modern engineering and modern oils have lessened the impacts of driving the car more aggressively prior to reaching complete operating temp.

I don't recall ever reading a post indicating that someone's engine failed because the PO (God forbid) revved the car too early after starting it. My suggestion is to drive the car reasonably out of your neighborhood and then let it rip!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Preeble
If you are not getting the pleasure out of your car that you intended because of this, then drive it more aggressively prior to warm-up. While I don't doubt conventional wisdom, I also believe that modern engineering and modern oils have lessened the impacts of driving the car more aggressively prior to reaching complete operating temp.

I don't recall ever reading a post indicating that someone's engine failed because the PO (God forbid) revved the car too early after starting it. My suggestion is to drive the car reasonably out of your neighborhood and then let it rip!
Yet the factory specifically warns to avoid RPMs over 4K when the engine is cold.

I think your advice is ill-advised and could result in increased engine wear possibly even damage (while I hate to use this descriptive term as it is misused and overused I think its use is warranted here: bore scoring) if followed.

If the OP is put off by the proper usage guidelines of a modern auto - and I think he's being a bit silly frankly -- he can either chose to ignore them and drive the car as he wants and let the engine pieces fall where they may, or he can adapt. If he is not willing to select the first choice -- and to be very clear in no way would I advise the first choice -- and if he can't or won't follow the second choice, I can't help but think that perhaps a personal automobile is not his best choice for transportation.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Driving hard prior to warm-up is not about the oil's ability to lubricate cold, but about engine component clearances and tolerances at cold vs warm temperatures due to the different thermal expansion rates of different metals in the engine. These are race derived engines, designed to operate hot. With the engine cold, clearances are excessive and you'll get blow-by past the piston rings and other potential for high wear as things rattle. This will get extra soot & crap into your oil and degrade it, as well. As the engine warms, clearances tighten and you can begun to push it.

Do your engine a favor: take it easy until it comes up to temp!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Preeble
Racer

I don't disagree with what the manual says. However, I would similarly show that the manual recommends a break-in period for the engine and there are some in this forum that advocate driving the car aggressively when new.

While I personally wait until my cars warm up before attaining higher RPMs, I was merely suggesting to the OP that he can do whatever he wants with his car. I also indicated that I haven't read a post in this forum (or anywhere else) describing an engine failure that was directly caused by cold revving.

Lastly, we all know that these cars are meant to be driven on a regular basis. How many Porsche owners let their cars sit for long periods of time (3+ months at a clip) without driving them? Better yet, how many owners let their cars idle in the garage over the winter in an attempt to warm them up? I would think that there is a substantial % that fall into one or both of these camps.

Which is worse?
Old 06-29-2014, 01:15 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

The OP could take a sledge hammer to his car as well, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The damage from thrashing your engine cold is small but cumulative, and make no mistake: it is occuring.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:47 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Bumping this old thread as it’s applicable to my question

I live in California so cold weather is not a factor

My Carrera gts takes forever to warm and has 5w50 in it. I’m due for an oil change and wanted to switch to something that warms more quickly

From a technical perspective, of the list of approved oils for our cars which should warm the quickest?
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
Bumping this old thread as it’s applicable to my question

I live in California so cold weather is not a factor

My Carrera gts takes forever to warm and has 5w50 in it. I’m due for an oil change and wanted to switch to something that warms more quickly

From a technical perspective, of the list of approved oils for our cars which should warm the quickest?
Your Mobil oil 5W50 is an excellent choice. A different Porsche- approved oil isn't going to warm up any faster. You are trying to solve a problem that you don't have. Shift at 4000 RPM... that's about the best you can do to get the car to heat up faster, and not be abusive.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, it's not about "warming more quickly" it's about lower viscosity being available even when it's cold, that's what a zero - forty product is supposed to provide. Other than a block heater (overkill x3) I don't think there is going to be a quicker warming that will be appreciably faster. As others noted, I keep her below 4k till the oil is up to temp. My 944 manual stated not to idle warm the car but to drive it gently to warm (something like that anyhow) I've applied that advise to every vehicle I've owned.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:47 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Your Mobil oil 5W50 is an excellent choice. A different Porsche- approved oil isn't going to warm up any faster. You are trying to solve a problem that you don't have. Shift at 4000 RPM... that's about the best you can do to get the car to heat up faster, and not be abusive.
Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
IMO, it's not about "warming more quickly" it's about lower viscosity being available even when it's cold, that's what a zero - forty product is supposed to provide. Other than a block heater (overkill x3) I don't think there is going to be a quicker warming that will be appreciably faster. As others noted, I keep her below 4k till the oil is up to temp. My 944 manual stated not to idle warm the car but to drive it gently to warm (something like that anyhow) I've applied that advise to every vehicle I've owned.
makes sense, thanks for the quick reply. definitely don’t need a block heater. I’m just used to how quickly my gt3 warms now at 2 miles versus 5-10 for the gts. Will stick to 5w50 and take longer drives
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Kind of on-topic, I was surprised and disappointed that my 987.1 doesn't have an oil temp gauge. Can't find any options in the computer to show it either. Doesn't seem fitting for a performance car; even my Ram pickup shows it...
Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Couldn't agree more Flam, and since the sport chrono is the most jewelry looking piece in the entire dash you think they could have lit it up with the rest of the gauges? A nicer clock than a Sentra would have also been pretty sweet. My old 280ZX had nicer more comprehensive gauges.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

While I AM disappointed, they do have LOT right.

I don't think I'd have a lot of people jumping ship to help me start a new company that does it Right.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Is it possible it has the wrong thermostat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any way to make the car's oil warm up quicker?