Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what is "normal oil operating temperature"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

As usual Macster makes a great point. As I stated above (but was not very detailed due to posting from my phone), I drive very easily until I see 150F oil temp (and I ignore the coolant temp for purposes of warming things up). I then start pushing the car a bit harder, but do it progressively so that both coolant and oil are agitated and circulating. With progressively pushing load and rpm I am comfortable taking it to WOT by the time the oil temp reaches 180F+. A bit of a PITA, but ensures longevity. If you think these cars are bad, cars like Ferrari's will absolutely drive you nuts. The 360 I had took a full 20 minutes for the oil to hit 180F and a friend's BB NEVER hit 180F unless he pushed the car really, really hard.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Macster brought up great points.

One thing I'll point out, however, is that 981 and 991 have new thermal management system where the temps are brought up much quicker and oil temps are kept higher than in the past (for emissions). I don't remember all the details but this was illustrated with diagrams at Tech Tactics East last year. T-stat staying closed while warm coolant circulates through the engine was one of the ways of achieving this.

If one pushes Sport mode or starts to drive aggressively, ECU is supposed to recognize this and bring the average oil temp down.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Macster brought up great points.

One thing I'll point out, however, is that 981 and 991 have new thermal management system where the temps are brought up much quicker and oil temps are kept higher than in the past (for emissions). I don't remember all the details but this was illustrated with diagrams at Tech Tactics East last year. T-stat staying closed while warm coolant circulates through the engine was one of the ways of achieving this.

If one pushes Sport mode or starts to drive aggressively, ECU is supposed to recognize this and bring the average oil temp down.
Which mine does. In non sport mode, just driving around normally, my oil temps will hit 225 give or take. Once I engage sport mode, my oil temps come down to 200 and pretty much stick to that number like glue.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:03 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,137 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Which mine does. In non sport mode, just driving around normally, my oil temps will hit 225 give or take. Once I engage sport mode, my oil temps come down to 200 and pretty much stick to that number like glue.
In mine, non-sport = 237 or so. Sport = 200-210.
With ambient low 80s.
Also no question water temp hits 195 within a few minutes.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Went out today (63 outside). Coolant at 195 in 4 minutes & oil at 180 in 5 (timed). Within 7 minutes, oil temp was crossing 200. I guess a 7 minute warm up isn't too bad.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Went out today (63 outside). Coolant at 195 in 4 minutes & oil at 180 in 5 (timed). Within 7 minutes, oil temp was crossing 200. I guess a 7 minute warm up isn't too bad.
While I believe you that's hard to believe.

Seriously, with a dead cold engine (at ambient) and ambient at 63F to have the coolant temperature to 195F in just 4 minutes...

Ok. How were you driving?

When I start with a cold engine I avoid high loads and rpms above 4K and with this kind of driving it takes way more than 4 minutes before the coolant temperature is at 195F.

I have some graphs of coolant temperature over time at work. Maybe Sunday I'll dig some out and post.

The only thing I can think of the newer cars with the divvied up coolant circuits have a much quicker warm up. But to get from 63F to 195F in 4 minutes.... that's impressive. And a bit unbelievable.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Jamoke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm shocked that your oil temp gets that warm that quickly. Maybe you're low on oil?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
While I believe you that's hard to believe.

Seriously, with a dead cold engine (at ambient) and ambient at 63F to have the coolant temperature to 195F in just 4 minutes...

Ok. How were you driving?

When I start with a cold engine I avoid high loads and rpms above 4K and with this kind of driving it takes way more than 4 minutes before the coolant temperature is at 195F.

I have some graphs of coolant temperature over time at work. Maybe Sunday I'll dig some out and post.

The only thing I can think of the newer cars with the divvied up coolant circuits have a much quicker warm up. But to get from 63F to 195F in 4 minutes.... that's impressive. And a bit unbelievable.
Car hasn't been driven in 2 days. Parked in garage (70s). Pulled out into 63 degrees. Drove with sport plus off and all shifts under 4k. I would call it very easy driving. The times and temps are accurate.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamoke
I'm shocked that your oil temp gets that warm that quickly. Maybe you're low on oil?
1 bar below full at the end of the drive. I had the oil and filter changed at 1000 miles or 1300 miles ago. Reading hasn't changed since the change.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Keadog
Car hasn't been driven in 2 days. Parked in garage (70s). Pulled out into 63 degrees. Drove with sport plus off and all shifts under 4k. I would call it very easy driving. The times and temps are accurate.
I believe you. I just find it amazing based on my experience admittedly with a much older model of car.

Porsche says in its sales brochures almost every new model release that it has made improvements to the model's cooling and aerodynamics and I believe it. (Based on my experience with my 02 Boxster there was certainly some room for improvement in both areas.)

I suppose these improvements could also involve changes to allow the engine to warm up quicker. If so that's an impressive improvement.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
I believe you. I just find it amazing based on my experience admittedly with a much older model of car.

Porsche says in its sales brochures almost every new model release that it has made improvements to the model's cooling and aerodynamics and I believe it. (Based on my experience with my 02 Boxster there was certainly some room for improvement in both areas.)

I suppose these improvements could also involve changes to allow the engine to warm up quicker. If so that's an impressive improvement.
That's what the service manager said when he said a couple of minutes should be plenty of time; that they had greatly improved the thermal management on the 3.4.
Same times yesterday morning and today, BTW. I'm consistently over 200 on oil temp in less than 10 minutes. Assuming the gauges are accurate, that's very acceptable to me.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Well, not to beat this to death but I took my 02 Boxster out yesterday "dead cold" at 3:52pm around 100F (the high was 100F at 4:05pm) ambient (but the car had been sitting unused and outside overnight and during the day) and even in that heat -- with the A/C off -- the temp needle was not even up to the 180F hash mark in 4 minutes of town driving.

I find it hard to understand how these new cars with around the same engine displacement working to push about the same weight around can warm up the coolant and oil (all of it) in that short a time starting out from a low temperature.

Quick Reply: So what is "normal oil operating temperature"?