Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 981 Boxster Spyder? Or possibly too good to be permitted
Of course!
56.25%
No way...
43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Will there be a 981 Boxster Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:20 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Being a former 911 guy, (30 years non stop as daily) and being a Boxster S guy since less than a year, I feel that the Spyder is the best of all.
I'm very curious about what will be up with the news, as the old (Colin Chapman's "rule") "light is right" tend to becomes kind of trendy, thanks to the regulators that wants less CO2!
Our problem is that beside trying to cut weight, another incidence is to cut the number of cylinders and add turbos.
For me (for you, ???) the "power" of a small engine with a turbo, kills a good part of the fun. So, even being proposed, I clearly refused to put any deposit on a Boxster GT4, as with a 4 cyl. turbo, I will simply NOT be a customer for such animal.
But, I could be seriously tempted (at least 10 times more) for a BGP conversion.
About the roof, I think that we have to accept that we are only a little few, that prefer a non convenient non fully waterproof very light roof, instead of a press button heavy roof.
..And such small club seems clearly not be large enough to be a profitable car model in the current ecosystem.
For the number of Cylinders, I have my own view, i.e.: having Porsche accepting to play this game to pay less CAFE taxes ..is simply going to be a killer for the brand in long term.
Now, do I'm right or not in that, I do not know. The Porsche customers are changing, it used to be a "small" gang that love good sport cars, but, I think now, there are more customers of another kind: the ones that buy a Porsche to show "that" ..to the others!
And these, ..just do not care and do not know about the feeling of driving a great sport car.
And as, the Porsche decision guys are judged by the $ results at the end of the year, our tiny weight in such models decision ..do not generate much actions !
This is why I think, we should not wait for much from "them" but better make our own food, by looking at people on tune with our song, i.e. like BGP, Ruf, and etc..
By the way, there is another solution, that is pretty perfect for such type of car : going to Lotus and get an Exige V6 Cup, (native 360hp for a ton) and then make an easy tune (i.e.: Komo-Tec in Germany) and then you have 420 happy hp.
Knowing very well this animal, I can tell you that it is a tool that easily let you fiight against any GT3, ..for half the cost ! ..but this is out of our topic and our current passion for P cars.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 12-20-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:42 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I will look at the Boxster RS if it comes out, if close to 400HP and available with Sports Suspension.

I would assume no unique top, maybe some weight reduction with door straps, etc.

What nobody knows yet is what will be the power plant, NA or turbo? I think it hinges on what the refreshment cycle has and whether the Boxster RS comes before or with the refreshment cycle.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 AM
mcomet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Spy shots
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...r-spyder-spied

Quick Reply: Will there be a 981 Boxster Spyder?