Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose amp draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM
rdisney
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose amp draining battery

I have a 2005 Boxster base with the fan on the Bose amp in the frunk not turning off and draining the battery. The amp is warm even after the car has been off for hours. Also, the cdr24 has no power, lights, nothing. Fuses to the left of the drivers left foot are good.

Thanks to all for helping.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:57 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

does the amp use a relay ? if so the relay maybe stuck [on]
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
rdisney
Advanced

Internal fuse in the amp maybe. I connected the amp harness and the fan was off. I Rand the engine for 10 seconds, shut it down, the fan was still off. Went for a 40 minute drive, shut it down, opened the frunk and the fan was on. I disconnected the wire harness so the battery won't drain. Tomorrow I'll take it to the local shop so they can plug in the computer and see if they can do or find something.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 PM
rdisney
Advanced

The fuses in the fuse box are all good as well as the fuse in the back of the radio. I unplugged the cable from the Bose amp and still had a dead battery after a couple days of setting. I removed the radio fuse from the fuse box and applied an amp meter and it read .7amp. This was with no key in the ignition, doors closed, and a wait period to make sure everything should be off. I did not reinsert the radio fuse and the battery has been fine. This was about two weeks ago. So it appears to be a short inside of the CDR24. I also tested pin C20 on the CDR24 wire harness and it was 10.5V for 10 seconds as expected when inserting or removing the key.

Now, is there anyone in East Tennessee with a known good used CDR24 I can use for testing before I buy?

Thanks,
Ron
Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 AM
Tony Yiamkis
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery drain

Originally Posted by rdisney
The fuses in the fuse box are all good as well as the fuse in the back of the radio. I unplugged the cable from the Bose amp and still had a dead battery after a couple days of setting. I removed the radio fuse from the fuse box and applied an amp meter and it read .7amp. This was with no key in the ignition, doors closed, and a wait period to make sure everything should be off. I did not reinsert the radio fuse and the battery has been fine. This was about two weeks ago. So it appears to be a short inside of the CDR24. I also tested pin C20 on the CDR24 wire harness and it was 10.5V for 10 seconds as expected when inserting or removing the key.

Now, is there anyone in East Tennessee with a known good used CDR24 I can use for testing before I buy?

Thanks,
Ron
I have a 2005 Boxter that has the same amount of parasitic drain. I too diagnosed it to be the radio fuse. I pulled it and the battery no longer drained at all. With the fuse out the PCM or keep alive parasitic is 009 ma,
I sent the radio into Becker in NJ. They verified my findings and exchanged my radio for a set $.amount. I also had them install an AUX port. I am awaiting the radio to be shipped back and will let everyone know how much parasitic drain with the exchange radio.
Tony
Old 06-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Tony Yiamkis
Track Day

Cool

Originally Posted by Tony Yiamkis
I have a 2005 Boxter that has the same amount of parasitic drain. I too diagnosed it to be the radio fuse. I pulled it and the battery no longer drained at all. With the fuse out the PCM or keep alive parasitic is 009 ma,
I sent the radio into Becker in NJ. They verified my findings and exchanged my radio for a set $.amount. I also had them install an AUX port. I am awaiting the radio to be shipped back and will let everyone know how much parasitic drain with the exchange radio.
Tony
Hello Gang,
Im new at this forum replying....Anyway, yes Becker returned my new exchanged radio in two weeks. The radio turned on, but no sound (Dreaded CDCR death knoll). I sent the radio back with some criticism and they said that since the radio is a different unit than the original....blah blah blah....I need to take car to Porsche dealer, blah blah.. to have it recoded to the car, blah blah. I wished they would have just fixed my old radio, but they said they could not repair a radio that had an amp drain. Mine was draining about one amp. When they returned my same new exchange radio i plugged it in to go to the dealer for recode and.....the car gods smiled, the radio now had sound and all my radio modes worked- boom boom. I guess that Becker did something to the internal module after i sent it back cause now everything worked. And yes no more radio drain at all. now i can go weeks and the engine cranks up and starts. My last thoughts on this are: If i had know that Becker was going to charge me $375.00 for an exchange radio, plus $25 to ship twice, i may have just installed a kill switch in line with the radio fuse and tried that for a while. That was alot of $ and time.. Best regards, Tony
Old 08-16-2020, 01:35 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

New owner here of a 2012, CS. I am reading the manuals. I use a maintainer, but if I could minimize the drain it would help. I think it may be coming from the PCM circuitry, (only the phone portion - certainly want the rest to be functional) I don't use phone or bluetooth feature, so I'd like to pull whatever powers it? I haven't started checking individual circuits yet. Any help diagnosing is appreciated.

Last edited by SteveG; 08-16-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Tony Yiamkis
Track Day

Originally Posted by SteveG
New owner here of a 2012, CS. I am reading the manuals. I use a maintainer, but if I could minimize the drain it would help. I think it may be coming from the PCM circuitry, (only the phone portion - certainly want the rest to be functional) I don't use phone or bluetooth feature, so I'd like to pull whatever powers it? I haven't started checking individual circuits yet. Any help diagnosing is appreciated.
Hi Steve,
2012 is That Carrera Sport? Anyway it is imperative for you to first find out how much amperage drain, down to the parasitic level. You can try it yourself. Try youtube video on how to "parasitic drain test." If they don't help i can, or i will give you my phone number and we can skype and i can show you live. It may take up to half hour depending or not if you buy a battery drain test terminal that clamps to battery and cable in series. The nwe can go on to step two....
Ferdinand is my hero and came before Tesla.

Quick Reply: Bose amp draining battery