Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987-1 Boxster window/alarm reset procedure

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM
newboxster
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987-1 Boxster window/alarm reset procedure

Hi everyone,

2007 base Boxster 6 speed with 39K.

This morning I replaced the driver's door handle microswitch as last week the window started acting in a bizarre manner; after lifting the handle and the window dropping down, climbing in and shutting the door provoked it to continually cycle up/down (just the "window drop" distance, not fully) until I started the car and lock/unlocked the doors. The following morning and remainder of the week was fine. The dealer had replaced the driver's door latch (I believe) under COPO warranty about 2 years ago.

After reassembly (did not disturb latch assembly) and reconnecting the battery I put the key in position 2 and ran the window up, which worked fine. Interestingly the doors would not lock/unlock with the key. Now after opening the door this afternoon the window drops but doesn't raise back to full height when closed. I've tried disconnecting the battery and per the owner's manual running window completely up - which it will do, then drop down and refuse to return to completely closed position. PSM failure light cleared driving down driveway, but I notice when driving the interior lights stay on, leading me to conclude the car believes the driver's door is still open (but doesn't display any warning lights on the dash).

Am I correct in assuming the latch microswitch has now failed as well? And the door microswitch was fine? Is there a way to reset the entire windows/locks without the PIWIS? Forgive me if this has been answered, I've searched quite a bit on the forum without finding a similar post.

Thanks in advance for your time & help.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

All I can suggest is the old battery disconnect trick. Be sure you read and follow the instructions for a proper and safe battery disconnect/reconnect. Do it wrong and the DME can be ruined.

Afterwards you'll have to recalibrate the window limits and the e-Gas at least. Make sure you have all radio/stereo security codes *before* you disconnect power, if your car's sound systems require security codes.

BTW, the symptoms prior to you doing any work suggest the door latch switch was bad, not the door handle switch.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 PM
newboxster
5th Gear

Thanks Macster - I've realized the error of my ways and will be ordering a new door latch this evening. Given that my nearest Porsche dealer is 90 minutes I *may* come out ahead changing parts (smile).

Specifically, the battery disconnect procedure: disconnect negative terminal, leave off (not allowing the terminal to contact ground) for 10-15 minutes?

Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by newboxster
Thanks Macster - I've realized the error of my ways and will be ordering a new door latch this evening. Given that my nearest Porsche dealer is 90 minutes I *may* come out ahead changing parts (smile).

Specifically, the battery disconnect procedure: disconnect negative terminal, leave off (not allowing the terminal to contact ground) for 10-15 minutes?

Thanks again!
You really should consult the car's owners manual.

From the Bentley Porsche Boxster manual: Always disconnect the negative battery cable first and reconnect it last. Cover the battery post with insulating material whenever the cable is removed.

Do not disconnect the battery, alternator or starter wires while the engine is running.

Never reverse the battery cables.

Do not depend upon the color of the battery cables to tell the positive and negative cables apart. Label them.

Before disconnecting the battery switch ignition off (and I would add remove the key from the ignition).

You should not need to leave the battery disconnected for 10 to 15 minutes but I do not know what is the minimum amount of time.

One thing you can do is after you have properly disconnected the battery step on the brake pedal to activate the brake lights which will drain residual power from the car's electrical system.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM
newboxster
5th Gear

Ordered and replaced door latch assembly with new OEM part (I am getting quite adept at removing the door panel - smile). Unfortunately no change in behavior - with door closed, driver's window runs to top and then drops down to the "open" position and will not raise further, despite following the window reset/relearn procedure in the owner's manual. Passenger window seems to function properly.

At this point it appears the car does not recognize that the driver's door is in the "closed" position. Does the car need a "handover" PIWIS reset due to the battery being disconnected?

Any further suggestions prior to me returning to the Porsche dealer?

Thanks for your time!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Did anyone ever find a resolution to this problem?

I have 2006 987 Boxster S.

The driver's window drops, when opening the door but doesn't return when the door closes.

Auto Up doesn't work on that door.

Window's drop when you release the Convertible latch, but driver's door will not return to the top.

Passenger window works fine.

Driver's side window will not return to top most position unless done manually.

I replaced the door latch mechanism , still the same problem.

Done every window reset procedure that I could find.. nothing works.

I've read several people have had the exact same problem, on various forums.

There must be some answer.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Also, from what I'm reading it may the Window Motor/Control unit may be jacked up, from a jump start?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:44 PM
chrismmm
Instructor

have a 07 base and my drivers side door handle is extended about 1/4 inch and need to adjust it somehow. Will keep an eye on this post because it sunds like an issue I may encounter in the future.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
blitz928
Race Car

My problem was cured by replacing the Window motor. Really not that hard to fix, but $$ for the part at $480.

Quick Reply: 987-1 Boxster window/alarm reset procedure