Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help convince me.....Cayman S vs. Z51

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Help convince me.....Cayman S vs. Z51

OK, I'm sure this is not the first thread on this topic, nor will it be the last, but:

I need a new daily driver, and the two options that keep coming up are the Cayman S and the 2014 Z51. Either would be new, and the options I'm looking at put them at about $59K for the Z51 and $77K for the Cayman. My driving is aggressive, but this one probably won't see much in the way of track time - I have a dedicated purpose-built race car for SCCA events, and that consumes my track budget.

Equipment I am considering:

Cayman S: 6MT, Burmester, Sport suspension, Sport Chrono, Sport Seats Plus, Carrera S wheels, SportDesign wheel.

Z51: 7MT, 20" wheels, Magnetic suspension, performance exhaust. I would aftermarket the audio for the Z51 - Bose is not an option that I will entertain for either car, under any circumstances.

I think I prefer the Porsche, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I justify $15K (assume $3K for audio in the 'Vette) more when my wife asks why I didn't just buy a 'Vette (or M3, but that's not a serious contender). The Z51 just looks like a screaming bang-for-the-buck in comparison...but is it really?

Aside from the seats, where the Cayman is the absolute undisputed victor, what are the other real-world differences that I should consider?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I was hot to trot for the C7 Z51... until I saw a C7 in person:
https://rennlist.com/forums/10607774-post1234.html

I would go for the new Cayman, especially if you already have a race car. The C7 Z51 will be faster on the track than the new Cayman, but who cares if you already have a race car? In terms of overall look/feel/build... I'd have to say the Cayman wins. Trust me, I was hoping I would be saying it the other way around because I'm a sucker for bang for the buck. However, after seeing them both in person, I would gladly pay the premium for the Cayman.

This is just my opinion based on C7 that probably didn't have the Z51 package and was in a horrific green color with crappy seats. I still can't wait to see the C7 tear it up at the track though...

Last edited by orthojoe; 07-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Any idea on the relative handling between the two? I'd expect a mid-engine to be a LOT more capable, but without driving the Z51, it's tough to make a direct comparison.

Honestly, 0-60 times and power-to-weight don't mean very much to me - cornering is where the fun is. Not looking for a 150 hp grocery-getter, but frankly I don't see much difference between 325 and 450 on the street - at least not in the US. Either is enough to exceed the limits of both the roads and the tolerance of the local gendarmerie...

And yeah, the Z51 seats look pretty poor, while the Cayman's are very close to perfect.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Any idea on the relative handling between the two? I'd expect a mid-engine to be a LOT more capable, but without driving the Z51, it's tough to make a direct comparison.
All conjecture until the C7 is released and people start driving them. People here will say that the cayman will handle better, but I won't assume anything until we get real comparisons, which won't be for a while.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get the corvette..........i had them for 30 years. last one a c6 z06 but it was time to slow down so i bought the porsche..............i sure got my wish. if ya wanna go crazy torque fast and stomp 95 % of the cars on the street go the vette. if ya wanna impress 95 % of your neighbors get the po.imho
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I have a tuned 996 TT, and there are many times I wish I had a Cayman or Boxster or older 911 so I could use more of the rpm range on the streets without risking a trip to jail. Get the Cayman!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

If it's a street car you're looking for get the Vette and use the $15k for your racing budget.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If it's a street car you're looking for get the Vette and use the $15k for your racing budget.
Good point - but $15K doesn't go very far in racing....
Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That's a tough call. The new Vette looks sweet and crazy bang for the buck. As you have noted, the seats leave a lot to be desired, even the competition seats. Why hasn't Chevy figured this out yet, seriously.

I love the look of the new Cayman, it's stunning and very exotic looking. I haven't seen the Vette yet but I loved the last version (except for the interior) so this should be better.

Go test drive a Cayman and then go test drive that latest version of the Vette and decide. If you have a hard time between that decision then go with the Vette.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Red Stingray with Black Wheels FTW.

Buy a CPO'd 987.2 Cayman S once the Porsche tax depreciation has set in to the point where you could have a 991S-murdering C7 for the same price. In the meantime enjoy the Stingray on the track with the knowledge that if the engine blows up GM won't leave you hanging like Porsche would.

Good advice on this forum I've read is to buy a track-prepared Cayman and retrofit it for the street. Better than losing on depreciation for a brand spanking new Cayman and then paying for track goodies on top of that.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:08 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
I had Corvettes for 30 years. last one a c6 z06 but it was time to slow down so i bought the porsche..............
signature material
Old 07-15-2013, 02:13 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to slow down or to outgrow playing with plastic cars?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:35 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
get the corvette..........i had them for 30 years. last one a c6 z06 but it was time to slow down so i bought the porsche..............i sure got my wish. if ya wanna go crazy torque fast and stomp 95 % of the cars on the street go the vette. if ya wanna impress 95 % of your neighbors get the po.imho
Z06 is probably the best bang for the buck performance car out there. That and the GT-R, but we all know that GT-R is a different type of car. You cannot go wrong with a Z06 if you're looking for performance on the track.

However......... as to the comparison to Porsche let's look at it in a slightly different way............

If you want a car that "everyone has", is known to be "cheap", looks & feels & drives cheaply, then get the Vette.

If you want a car that is more associated with redneck hillibilly, leather-hewn bikers, and turned-on-by-NASCAR types, get the Vette.

If you're a redlight-to-redlight "racing" hero and like having your ego stroked on the streets, get the Vette. I've never quite understood the ego-embellishing drag dracing phenomenon, but that's just me. Just remember, anybody including your grandmother can put the right foot down. Plenty of youtube videos of idiots "racing" their Corvettes from the redlight and subsequently crashing..

There's no question that Porsche hp and performance can be lacking. But if you're looking for the driving experience nirvana... there's a reason why the Boxster/Cayman have been voted the world's best sports car for multiple years in a row.

Please note that I'm not saying if you own a Corvette you're unsophisticated... just that's what they're more associated with than, say, Ferraris. Like I said, however, if you're looking to maximize track performance a Z06 is an excellent value.

Finally, if you're into muscle car grunt and lore, get the Vette. Another thing though: a C6 Z06 with push-rods took 7.2 L to get to 505 hp... What happened when Porsche took it to 4.0 L in GT3 RS 4.0? 500 hp.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As my father told me when I asked him whether I should buy the much faster Vette or the 944 I ended up with he said: The Corvette is like a boxer, raw and ready where the 944 is more like a ballerina, a car that handles racing in a very different way.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I will give you a different perspective which for me was the most important factor: how the car feels (especially for an everyday driver).

I bought one new Corvette in '07 (Z06). It was a very fast and capable car. The build quality was ok, but I could not get past the way the car felt and drove. To me it felt big, heavy, clunky, etc., especially driving around town and having to deal with the skip shift. I put 450 miles on the car in six months and traded it in on a 997 C2S.

The Cayman will feel nimble, smooth, light and athletic. It will have an interior feel that is much more "put together" than the Vette. It will have far less low end grunt, but sing in a way only a flat 6 can at redline. If you value these things get the Cayman as a daily. If you don't, save your money and buy the Vette.

Quick Reply: Help convince me.....Cayman S vs. Z51