Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help convince me.....Cayman S vs. Z51

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:16 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Whatever anyone types there is no getting around the FACT the "Vette" company is also responsible for these products which make the 924 seem like a CGT in performance.

First, their other vette:
As much as I like the two 924s I own, one a PCA club racer, the other a cruiser they ain't no CGT. The Cosworth Vega GT was a pretty cool car though....
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
C'mon - give us a bit more. Why do you say this?

Let me repeat something I said earlier: I'm not terrible concerned about 0-60 times (given that anything I buy will be <5 sec) - I'm really concerned more about handling (cornering), and it will be a daily driver.

Both cars are EPA-rated at 30 mpg highway (though I doubt I'll ever see that), both are really, really fast and suitable for "spirited" driving. The 'Vette has more brute force, and is less expensive, but brute force isn't at the top of my list (if it were, I'd probably just get a used 911Turbo and be done with it).

When it really boils down, I guess I'm asking whether the P-car will handle better than the 'Vette with enough difference to justify the higher price......?
We see a lot of Z06's at our DE's at Road Atlanta. Appears to me the GT3 and the Z06 is a pretty fair fight. Caymans, including the R, while very nice rides don't appear to have the stuff to run with either the GT3's or the plastic cars.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Having been an owner of a 2005 C6, I learned a lesson, never buy the first year of a new model corvette. And actually I think waiting 3 years would be even better.
I think this especially applies to the C7. There is a massive amount of new technology in the C7 and I just don't have the confidence that Chevy can pull this off without some major issues.
Good input - thanks!

Any thoughts from the P-car guys re: the changes to the CaymanS for 2014? Are they minor enough not to worry about?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
As much as I like the two 924s I own, one a PCA club racer, the other a cruiser they ain't no CGT. The Cosworth Vega GT was a pretty cool car though....
I owned a cosworth vega in a straight line it would have smoked a 924 in a curve it would be the exact reverse. The coolest part of the Cosworth vega was definitely the motor the rest of the car was well...vega, they said it had some vette bits in it (rear brakes or suspension I don't recall)but not nearly enough.. I can appreciate vettes but if I had to drive one I'd want an old split window pre mako shark.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C'mon - give us a bit more. Why do you say this?

Let me repeat something I said earlier: I'm not terrible concerned about 0-60 times (given that anything I buy will be <5 sec) - I'm really concerned more about handling (cornering), and it will be a daily driver.

Both cars are EPA-rated at 30 mpg highway (though I doubt I'll ever see that), both are really, really fast and suitable for "spirited" driving. The 'Vette has more brute force, and is less expensive, but brute force isn't at the top of my list (if it were, I'd probably just get a used 911Turbo and be done with it).

When it really boils down, I guess I'm asking whether the P-car will handle better than the 'Vette with enough difference to justify the higher price......?
How much time do you have behind the wheel of a car with a V8? The brute force is what puts a huge smile on your face. The Vette will also sprint around the ring faster than the Cayman S and I'm not a big fan of 0-60 times but really think the mark is 0-100. All of my driving is on the street and for that money, I'd pick the Corvette. I think that the 981 platform is grossly overpriced but if you have to have a Porsche, it isn't a bad choice.

I was looking at a new 987 back in '08 and ended up buying an STi. I couldn't bring myself to buy a car that was 30k more and way too slow. The STi was fun for a year but I got rid of it because it was too boy-racer like for a 47 year old (at the time). It sure was fun though.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd buy a used C6 Z06 before a new Cayman S.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
How much time do you have behind the wheel of a car with a V8? The brute force is what puts a huge smile on your face.
A lot - I "grew up" with a Chevelle, and "graduated" to a Mustang 5.0 before shifting to road racing, at which point I learned that I can take a 175 hp open-wheel car around a track faster than a stock Corvette or Viper can go. Thus, I'll disagree on the brute force - a well-executed corner at high lateral g loading is what puts the biggest grin on my face. That said, there is no replacement for displacement when you just want to blow off some steam.....

The Vette will also sprint around the ring faster than the Cayman S and I'm not a big fan of 0-60 times but really think the mark is 0-100. All of my driving is on the street and for that money, I'd pick the Corvette. I think that the 981 platform is grossly overpriced but if you have to have a Porsche, it isn't a bad choice.
Good input - thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM
rocklegend
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-tuning-2.html

Go to post #28, one of the forum members posted info about the c7 from motortrend. It gives you a basic idea how it performed.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

has any one of those ever exceeded the engineered excellence of a porsche from the steering to the shifter to the clutch takeup to the feel of the brakes and how everything just falls into place? The answer is NO.
Including the bits of metal that fall into the sump when the IMS bearing goes south
Old 07-24-2013, 02:40 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Including the bits of metal that fall into the sump when the IMS bearing goes south
tru dat
Old 07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

So the C7 goes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and pulls 1.11 g's....they're going to sell a lot of these. If you want a Porsche with similar numbers it's not going to be for less than $100k. If it's a choice of finesse or power, the C7 is going to make that a tougher decision, even for Porscheholics like me.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by clutchplate
So the C7 goes 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and pulls 1.11 g's....they're going to sell a lot of these. If you want a Porsche with similar numbers it's not going to be for less than $100k. If it's a choice of finesse or power, the C7 is going to make that a tougher decision, even for Porscheholics like me.
Yeah, it's a tough call. It would appear that one could put a really nice audio system and really good seats into the the 'Vette and still be $10K or so below the price of a Cayman S, much less a C2.....

I just wish the C7 didn't look so.......GM........ Those taillights are just plain hideous, unless you're a 14-year-old kid. The Cayman, OTOH, looks fantastic - great lines, and nothing amiss.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 PM
bzliteyear
Racer

i'm not going to talk car differences as they're obvious and most of the others are better qualified. i do think, however, that you probably shouldn't think about the $15k difference as it may not be as much as you think by the time you factor in your resale. from what i've seen on the resale market for corvettes vs cayman s(over 50% for 2006, even after 7 yrs), i think whatever savings you may get initially disappears by resale time...just my 2 cents.
PL
Old 07-24-2013, 08:22 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

I just wish the C7 didn't look so.......GM........ Those taillights are just plain hideous, unless you're a 14-year-old kid. The Cayman, OTOH, looks fantastic - great lines, and nothing amiss.
Yeah there's that. I'm reserving judgement on the C7 until I see it in person but the photos look Camaroish to me. On the other hand, I think the 981 is one of the best Porsche's series ever in both quality and looks. Mine's significantly more fun to drive than was my 997S or C6.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 AM
rocklegend
Advanced

There are also other first drive reviews out from car and driver and edmunds. They all agree that any of the short comings in the C6 are fixed with the C7.

Quick Reply: Help convince me.....Cayman S vs. Z51