Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

new to rennlist & cayman r

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This will be my 7th season tracking a Cayman. For the first few years I hardly saw any others at track events. It's great to see so many people tracking them now. Way back then we had so little information about which mods worked and which didn't. It is a whole different picture now. Lots of good options and lots of good information.

I just purchased an R as a dedicated track car. I'm impressed by how many other R's are being tracked, especially considering how few of them are out there. Good luck with yours!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM
greymanR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice caR! good luck with it
Old 05-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Im working up to selling my targa to make room for a cayman R . Would like a manual in Peridot. Not many being tracked in the UK yet so im lurking here to learn as much as possible. This is the first modern Porsche that ive really wanted.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Carol, welcome to Rennlist and congrats on a great car! Love CR especially in that color. I lived in North Hills for a couple of years but unfortunately never got to experience BeaveRun.

As far as rotors, I highly recommend slotted Sebro rotors. Sebro is one of the OEMs for Porsche stock rotors and they also special-make slotted rotors (less prone to cracking compared to the "cross drilled" ones). IMO certainly more cost effective than Girodiscs as there are reports of Girodiscs cracking prematurely and not being able to justify the higher cost.

You may only need front rotors as most guys don't crack rear rotors. I have a set still sitting in the garage 1-1.5 years later....

There are multiple sources for Sebro slotted rotors but Paragon Products (no affiliation, naturally) is one of the cheapest sources I've found: http://www.paragon-products.com/Brak...d%20rotors.htm Merlin Manufacturing also sells them but IIRC Paragon has a free shipping policy whereas the latter does not.

BTW, stock rotors only need replacing if the cracks connect or reach the outer edge. 2 mm wear is another indicator but they'll crack during track usage before you wear them down.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
well balanced Caymen R?
I don't think we'll ever cure tcs of misspelling Cayman.

Maybe I should be thankful that he's at least not misspelling Spyder?
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Hi the_vetman,

Thanks so much for the welcome and advice about rotors. Yes - I've done slotted only on the cars I've tracked (other than the CCBs which were awesome but too expensive to change on this car). We were weighing girodisc versus OEM. It would appear I could go through 7 sets of front rotors for every one set of Girodisc. That's a tough sell.

I'm not familiar with the Sebro and will definitely check them out. It's good to have options.

I hope to see you at the track (PittRace or maybe another event like Mid-Ohio). Or maybe cars & coffee at Restaurant Echo in Cranberry. I'll send a PM.

Cheers!
Carol
Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

A quick update:

Had three days at Watkins Glen (May 10-11-12). Had two days (May 20-21) at Road Atlanta.

Result: I am in love with this car! It is spectacular. Almost telepathic. Fun, quick, responsive in a way I've never experienced. It took me three days at the Glen to re-train my right foot and not rev so high when downshifting (the Z06 required a very heavy push to the throttle and took longer to rev). I started getting much smoother on day 3. Atlanta was even better.

I'm heading back to the Glen for two more days before month end (with Niagara Region PCA). Can't wait to be back there so soon after experiencing the car for the first time. My learning curve won't be quite as steep this visit.

We ended up buying a set of girodisc rotors for the front. My husband felt the lighter rotors were a big advantage and wanted to try them (versus the Sebro). I was wrong about the price but even so - still very expensive. We'll see how they perform and then decide whether to try something else if they don't seem worth the premium. He is sold on the two piece design, and I understand the logic (but I probably would have gone with Sebro to save $). I deferred to him (which is fine).

Thanks again for the welcoming comments.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Excellent news! As a fellow 987.2 owner I'm happy that you love the car! Never mind that I'm slightly biased. Sure, we'd all love an extra 100-200 hp but the car in its stock form is still great.

No argument from me that Girodiscs are superior. Whether or not they're worth the cost is subjective and dependent on personal preferences, i.e. you can't go wrong either way.

Hope to see you guys around the track! BTW, what does your husband drive, or do you guys share the R? Just curious.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
BTW, what does your husband drive, or do you guys share the R? Just curious.
Thank you for the comments BTW - I like your car number. VERY cool

Right now my husband can't drive. He has some health issues that prevent him from getting on track. It's a difficult situation, and I'm the luckiest girl in the world that he insists I do track events even though he can't.

Up to this season we were sharing the car - so we both tracked the Lambo (2011 season) and the Z06 (2012 season). He only got on track a couple times with the Z06 because of his health challenges.

He would probably track the Z06 when he is ready. He enjoys the Cayman but prefers not to share. We are done tracking the Lambo and may sell it this summer since we drive it less and less.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

update:

Had my first day with the new Girodisc rotors. Wow! Amazing stopping power.

I also had a brand new (supposedly) GT3 master cylinder installed because mine failed. I'm told high heat weakened the seals. The car was driving okay and stopping okay but we noticed a considerable different in the brake pedal after the last track bleed which prompted me to have it checked out which confirmed our suspicion something was wrong with the brakes.

I say "supposedly GT3" because the master cylinder part number begins with 987 - but I'm told one can't rely on the part number since Porsche has a history of mixing part numbers (my friend's 997.2 has a 996 part on his engine for example). Does anyone else have a GT3 master cylinder, and if so - what is the part number? I'm curious.

I'm told the new, more robust, master cylinder will also improve stopping power - so I can't tell how much of the difference is attributed to the new front rotors versus the new master cylinder - but it was a very noticeable change (for the better!).

The front rotors didn't have any cracks to the edge but there were several cracks longer than 10 mm so we decided to change them a little in advance (to be conservative).

I'm also amazed and pleased at the very even wear (and very little wear) of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Maybe it's cause the car is lighter and so well balanced - but they are wearing extremely well (I also pay very close attention to tire pressures and temperatures). Much better than how they wore on the Z06.

The only really BIG surprise about this car is the amount of attention it receives. Maybe it's the color - but I never expected the "entry level" Porsche to get THIS type of response from people. I get more comments and compliments from all age groups. Not quite to the level of "lambo attention" but darn close. I never expected it (and it's not something I care about either way....but positive comments are always appreciated).
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Janko
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Love the color choice. just picked my 2012 spyder wednesday and am in love
Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
update:

Had my first day with the new Girodisc rotors. Wow! Amazing stopping power.

I also had a brand new (supposedly) GT3 master cylinder installed because mine failed. I'm told high heat weakened the seals. The car was driving okay and stopping okay but we noticed a considerable different in the brake pedal after the last track bleed which prompted me to have it checked out which confirmed our suspicion something was wrong with the brakes.

I say "supposedly GT3" because the master cylinder part number begins with 987 - but I'm told one can't rely on the part number since Porsche has a history of mixing part numbers (my friend's 997.2 has a 996 part on his engine for example). Does anyone else have a GT3 master cylinder, and if so - what is the part number? I'm curious.

I'm told the new, more robust, master cylinder will also improve stopping power - so I can't tell how much of the difference is attributed to the new front rotors versus the new master cylinder - but it was a very noticeable change (for the better!).

The front rotors didn't have any cracks to the edge but there were several cracks longer than 10 mm so we decided to change them a little in advance (to be conservative).

I'm also amazed and pleased at the very even wear (and very little wear) of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Maybe it's cause the car is lighter and so well balanced - but they are wearing extremely well (I also pay very close attention to tire pressures and temperatures). Much better than how they wore on the Z06.

The only really BIG surprise about this car is the amount of attention it receives. Maybe it's the color - but I never expected the "entry level" Porsche to get THIS type of response from people. I get more comments and compliments from all age groups. Not quite to the level of "lambo attention" but darn close. I never expected it (and it's not something I care about either way....but positive comments are always appreciated).
Joe's thread for the GT3 Master https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68981
He shows part # 997 355 910 30
I'm pretty sure that's the same number I used, but can't find the invoice right now.

Congratulations!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Joe's thread for the GT3 Master https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68981
He shows part # 997 355 910 30
I'm pretty sure that's the same number I used, but can't find the invoice right now.

Congratulations!
Thanks for the info...very helpful!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Great color. Interesting to see how the different colors seem to change the personality of the cars.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Great color. Interesting to see how the different colors seem to change the personality of the cars.
Thanks - and I agree that color affects the personality. I am loving the Peridot Green. It has really grown on me. It's also more forgiving of dirt than I expected (a big plus since I like to drive it as much as possible).

Quick Reply: new to rennlist & cayman r