Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Optioning 981 S.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 AM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need Help Optioning 981 S.

Finally decided to get a fun weekend cruiser to go along with my F10 550i xDrive with Dinan Stage 5 DD, and I would greatly appreciate your help. I would prefer to get a Cayman S, but my wife insists that we get a convertible so the Boxster S it is. I have been online building quite a few cars and Porsche has way more options than what BMW offers, so I need alot of help in determining what is necessary for a weekend cruiser that will most likely never see the track. Here are the options I am looking at:

0Q White
8V Red Convertible Top
UG Partial Leather Sport Seats in Luxor Beige

P94 Premium Package
P9G Infotainment Package with Bose
603 Bi-Xenon with PDLS
635 Park Assist (Rear)
748 Electrical Folding Exterior Mirrors
250 PDK
475 PASM
640 Sports Chrono
400 Boxster S Wheels
P06 Power Sports Seats (14 Ways)
XSX Seat Belts in Red
345 Heated steering wheel

Total Price - $79,620

Right now the goal is to stay below $75,000 before taxes so I think we are getting pretty close. However, I do have some questions on whether some of the options I have selected are necessary. The biggest question is whether the Sports Chrono is a must have with PDK? In my BMW, I am in Sport mode all the time, but almost never Sport+. Is the Porsche Sport+ better? What about PASM? If I had to pick between PASM and Sports Chrono, which would most of you pick for a weekend cruiser?

For some of the smaller ticket items, I am wondering if getting the heated steering wheel will remove the paddles or change anything else? Finally, do you think Park Assist is necessary?

Thank you for all your help!
Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Ok, I'll jump in. First off, I would have a look to see exactly what you are trying to use this car for. Weekend cruiser? Keep the PDK, the Bose system, Power Port Seats etc... and forget the the Sports Chrono, PASM etc... Want to jam it up into the hills on some twisities? Go manual tramssion, Sport Chrono, PASM, PSE, add some Adaptive 14-way Sport Seats and ditch the Bose infotainment system (you'll never listen to it).

I park in concrete parking garages both at home and at the office and would go for the Park Assist every time. If not, don't worry about it.

A red top over a beige interior? Nah. I personally thnk that only works with the Carrera Red interior. Go black or tan.

Love the red seat belts with the white over beige.

I would put more leather into the interior. It just 'makes' these cars.

Joel
Old 05-12-2013, 12:59 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's truly a subjective choice, I would delete the folding mirrors, infotainment, park assist, and make my choices based on how they will change the driving experience of what a sports car is being purchased for, to drive in a spirited fashion. I'm in sport plus almost all the time and I like pasm as well if limited slip is on the list I'd definitely get that.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:02 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dump folding mirrors. Dump pasm. Dump sport chrono.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM
PGSberg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our thought process

My wife and I sat down and had a discussion on how we plan to use the car. Pleasure driving and trips. We didn’t have a reason to shell out for an “S”. We drove both; there was a noticeable difference but not enough for us and the price difference. You may think otherwise. Our choice was White over beige. After looking at the beige we thought it too much of one color (carpet, console, seats, doors, dash wheel, etc. We went with a two tone grey (Agate/Pebble). We optioned out with: P91 Infotainment, P94 Premium, PV Partial leather with Agate/Pebble Grey, 498 deletion of model, 546 roll bar in white, 603 bi-xenon (inc pkg), 250 PDK, XLS sports tailpipe, 400 “S” wheels, 446 painted center caps, 541 cooled seats, 583 smoking pkg (don’t smoke but it complements the console, P06 14-way seats, 840 sport design wheel, 980 leather pkg (inc pkg). Ours priced out at $67,460. My only additions have been a white strip across the windshield, painted the brakes red and added the proper PORSCHE decals, a Rennline tow hook plate mount, pedals and euro front turn signals.
Attached Images      

Last edited by PGSberg; 05-12-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Wow. What a beautiful build. Very very nicely done. And tell me - now driving and enjoying it, do you even think of needing more power? Anything at this time you would have added on or left out? Your thoughts please.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

^^thanks for the interior pics. I'm thinking of going Sapphire Blue with the Agate/Pebble interior. Looks great.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to drive one with and without PASM and Sport Chrono.

If it were me, I would forgo the heated steering wheel, and get the Sports wheel. That way you have paddles, instead of buttons.

Park Assist can be nice if you have the top up.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
^^thanks for the interior pics. I'm thinking of going Sapphire Blue with the Agate/Pebble interior. Looks great.
Jaws 1, great colour combo...That will make 2 in Canader!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

beautiful combos!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
PGSberg
AutoX

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Wow. What a beautiful build. Very very nicely done. And tell me - now driving and enjoying it, do you even think of needing more power? Anything at this time you would have added on or left out? Your thoughts please.
We just returned from a week's vacation driving from the Washington, D C area to Daytona Beach, FL. The car was flawless. I was never in a situation where I felt I needed more power. I would have liked the "S" but not for the price difference. No regrets. This car has a tremendous blind spot, more so than the 06 Boxster I had. I park way out so I don't need the park assist. If I had to parallel park on a regular basis, would want it. Based on my needs, habits and choice I am extremely satisfied.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

@PGSberg You car looks awesome. Personally my first choice is white, but the F10 is Alpine White so I am thinking of doing it differently. I have a test drive schedule after work today and they have a Boxster and a Cayman S. I will drive both to test the engines. I have a feeling I will want the bigger engine for the increased torque because I am so used to the almost 600 lb ft in the Stage 5 F10. Will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM
PGSberg
AutoX

jyu0 - Good luck!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:32 AM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Test drove a lightly optioned Boxster tonight because the dealer did not have a Boxster S in stock. All I can say is that the engine and exhaust notes are intoxicating. This car had the regular exhaust and it gave off a sound that I cannot reproduce on my F10. The handling was superb and it created a feeling that the car was literally twisting around your waist instead feeling behind the curve on most cars. Power wise, I would definitely order the Boxster S because there were quite a few occasions during acceleration that I needed to dip into the throttle more what I am used to. On my 550i, I almost never use more than 20% of the throttle on most drives because of the 600 lb ft of torque.

By the time I got back from the test drive, the Porsche manager had gone home so I did not get a chance to negotiate pricing. However, I am pretty confident that my regular sales guy will come through and get me a great discount considering this will be the 7th car with him. Here are the options that I plan on ordering.

Agate Grey Metallic with Red Top, Platinum Grey Power Sport Seats & 20" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Infotainment, Premium & Leather Packages
PDK, PASM & Sport Chrono
Park Assist, Sport Steering Wheel & Guard Red Seat Belts

Will report back once the order is in. Thank you for all your help!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Order is in for the car listed below. Ended up with 5% discount and a September delivery for a 2014 model. This will be a long 4 months!

Agate Grey Metallic with Red Top, Platinum Grey Power Sport Seats & 20" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Infotainment, Premium & Leather Packages
PDK, PASM & Sport Chrono
Park Assist, Sport Steering Wheel & Guard Red Seat Belts

Quick Reply: Need Help Optioning 981 S.