Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Caymen R vs. Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Of course dealers don't like them, they are easier to sell with the normal seats. But it's the purists in all of us that like the Spyder who also like the sport buckets! Those that have them are quite lucky! Especially those that have them in sand beige!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Carrera GT seats would be killer in a Spyder.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I have no idea about either car.

Is the spyder a topless Caymen R?

Could anybody tell me the differences between the two and what are the dry weights of both cars in PDK trim?

Engine?
Doors?
Brakes?
etc?

I got the itch to build something....
Save time and money.

Avoid 2006-2008, unless you find one with all the upgrades. 09+ CaymAAAn/Boxster with 3.4 are in the $50k range before a long list of expensive modifications needed.

Go for 09+, for track use it is better to buy a lightly used Interseries car. If you need street legal, start with the used Interseries and go backward, rather than start from a perfect street car.

I have a thread somewhere with all the track mods needed for the Coxster not to break as often, and there is plenty more.

On decent driving hands, the car blows the engine, blows the transmission, kill the brakes, kills the power steering pump. All the 987 Cayman/Boxster overheat with track use (the 997 and 991 Carrera and Carrera S overheat as well), just plug a reader to the temp sensors via ECU CAN bus, as the needle indicates 210 degrees F, the engine is running over 270F and about to blow up.

Spend time talking to people that actually race these cars (record holder club racers in H/I PCA classes, and some NASA drivers).

Don't be fooled by Grand-Am Cayman, those cars are heavily modified, if you can get your hands on one, get it, it would take solid into the 6 figures to build some of the Cayman running at the front in Grand-Am, using a clean street stock car.

If you ask me, go 996 GT3. More fun, longer lasting, faster. Too many compromises on the Carrera/Cayman/Boxster.

If you want pretty, go Cayman.

Mine is lighter than a Cayman R, more powerful across the entire rev range (it gained 41whp with the powerkit), with a trick suspension and an open diff, it is decently fast, but no chances to keep up with a 996 GT3, and nowhere near as fun. It has been with me for 5 years, and I have been tempted to replace it way too many times. 996 GT3, I regret everyday to have sold it, what an amazing and fun car.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Save time and money.

Avoid 2006-2008, unless you find one with all the upgrades. 09+ CaymAAAn/Boxster with 3.4 are in the $50k range before a long list of expensive modifications needed.

Go for 09+, for track use it is better to buy a lightly used Interseries car. If you need street legal, start with the used Interseries and go backward, rather than start from a perfect street car.

I have a thread somewhere with all the track mods needed for the Coxster not to break as often, and there is plenty more.

On decent driving hands, the car blows the engine, blows the transmission, kill the brakes, kills the power steering pump. All the 987 Cayman/Boxster overheat with track use (the 997 and 991 Carrera and Carrera S overheat as well), just plug a reader to the temp sensors via ECU CAN bus, as the needle indicates 210 degrees F, the engine is running over 270F and about to blow up.

Spend time talking to people that actually race these cars (record holder club racers in H/I PCA classes, and some NASA drivers).

Don't be fooled by Grand-Am Cayman, those cars are heavily modified, if you can get your hands on one, get it, it would take solid into the 6 figures to build some of the Cayman running at the front in Grand-Am, using a clean street stock car.

If you ask me, go 996 GT3. More fun, longer lasting, faster. Too many compromises on the Carrera/Cayman/Boxster.

If you want pretty, go Cayman.

Mine is lighter than a Cayman R, more powerful across the entire rev range (it gained 41whp with the powerkit), with a trick suspension and an open diff, it is decently fast, but no chances to keep up with a 996 GT3, and nowhere near as fun. It has been with me for 5 years, and I have been tempted to replace it way too many times. 996 GT3, I regret everyday to have sold it, what an amazing and fun car.
If i were to do a Cayman, I would do 3.8L swap. It would be a PDK car too. Cheaper on replacement parts i figure when compared to 996/997 GT3.
Currently have RS on the east coast but looking for something simple on the west coast to provide me daily transportation and track day events.
Your Cayman has got me thinking ever since you let my wifey drive it!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I received the Boxster Spyder last week. Such a cool good looking sexy car. 16 year Daughter tried to confiscate it for crying out loud. Asked to drive it to her BFFs house for 1/2 hour came back 4 hours later.

I will post pictures next week. Will be baseline Dyno testing it next week and doing a build up. So far only Mods installed by Porsche of Beechwood Jason Grim GM were Suncoast PDK Paddle wheel black, clear front turn signals lenses and factory Porsche spacers.

I need more garage space. Have a great weekend the sun is out in Pennsylvania.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
Thanks guys..........my employees berated me for buying a Spyder.........dude its a girls cars. BULL**** I told them.
That TC Kline Boxser Spyder, with no engine mods, put down the fastest laps at Laguna Seca time trials a few years back, on a day that included a few 997 GT3. Maybe not an endurance racer but that wasn't the build purpose... nor are street engined 996/997/991's either for that matter.

A very interesting piece below on the Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder with an ALMS pro driver (Overbeek) at the wheel of both on a karting track, presumably to emphasize grip/handling (same rubber). Basically the Boxster was faster with less work required to go fast. On a 30 second course the Boxster was 0.6's quicker.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...t#.UZ-vUVXn_Yc

Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
That TC Kline Boxser Spyder, with no engine mods, put down the fastest laps at Laguna Seca time trials a few years back, on a day that included a few 997 GT3. Maybe not an endurance racer but that wasn't the build purpose... nor are street engined 996/997/991's either for that matter.

A very interesting piece below on the Cayman R vs. Boxster Spyder with an ALMS pro driver at the wheel of both on a karting track, presumably to emphasize grip/handling. Basically the Boxster was faster with less work required to go fast. On a 30 second course the Boxster was 0.6's quicker.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...t#.UZ-vUVXn_Yc

I raced against the TC Kline Spyder at Rennsport. He ran 1:39- 1:40 at Laguna- The fastest cars were running 1:30's. My old 911 racer ran a 1:41.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:09 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
I raced against the TC Kline Spyder at Rennsport. He ran 1:39- 1:40 at Laguna- The fastest cars were running 1:30's. My old 911 racer ran a 1:41.
my mistake I was reffering to the street class time trial at LS in 2010.

TC Kline Boxster Spyder 1:42.7
BR Racing 997 GT3 1:44.2
BR Racing Cayman S 1:46.5

1:42 on street rubber there is like a really quick lap right? I noticed a Scuderia and a 997 GT3 RS in the tuner class with similar times.

Last edited by perfectlap; 06-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Janko
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going through the same back and forth myself. have found 2 perfect examples of each, and due to the wife being a bigger fan of the spyder i think thats the way we are going (Happy wife, happy life right).

Both are just amazing machines and last of their breed
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Having owned a 6GT3 and now that I own a Spyder I'd say they're both awesome machines. I strongly prefer these non PASM cars. That said I'm leaning towards the Spyder at the moment and not just because its my current ride.

The reason is the Spyder initially seems that it will be a better AX (I'll find out soon) and daily driver while the 6-3 better suited for track - go figure, right. I admit that I never tracked my 6-3 but I sure enjoyed the heck out of it on the road and AX.

Somewhat off topic and not necessarily a justification for a car purchase. But I personally think they are both collectible although more so for the 6-3. I remember an article in Excellence comparing the 6-3 with a '73(?) RS and the 6-3 coming out on top. Give the 6-3 10+ more years and I think it will surprise a few people how collectible it will become.

Quick Reply: Caymen R vs. Spyder?