Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Caymen R vs. Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have been considering a caymen or perhaps even a spyder as a track ***** with a license plate because of the following;
My GT3 like other GT3s now has expired warranty and replacement engine costs are very high with the metzger.

With no manual offered in future GT3 models alot of RS owners are starting to pull their RS porsches off the track as they are now becoming a little more "prized" if you will.

With the manual RS being a last of the
Breed it is more worrysome now to have track damage which will kill the car and resale.

With all this into consideration i am keeping my RS and will still use it for track days in Florida however now I reside most of my time on the pacific coast of Canada and would like to have a fun street car that i can also beat on the track without spending RS money on purchase or consumables along with worries of resale or engine replacements.

Some RS owners have gone 996 Cup, some have gone older 911 and 964 track ready examples. Some have even gone to Caymen racers. Some have even wispered disposable corvettes! (Im a porsche guy and want a P-car, thus vettes, vipers etc wont suffice for me anymore.)

From what i have been seeing, the Caymen platform is perfectly balanced and lightweight. Can be bought relatively fair and modded as such.
With a 3.8 (not a whole lot of money compared to GT3 motor) and PDK, it is a weapon on the track and also a kitten in bumper to bumper traffic and parking on busy urban downtown streets.

I was looking at Caymens, but since i do not plan on spec racing it nor trailering it, a roll cage is not on the list therefore the boxster spyder came on the radar.

I think a stripper spyder with 3.8L, PDK and full suspension/brake/LSD upgrades would make for an interesting road & track car......
(Bare in mind it will not be a daily driver).

Id say for under 100k it could be done and have reasonable operating costs and very rewarding track time and street time.

Hmmmm
Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

why put a 3.8 in it ? or want PDK ?

strip it out to 1100Kg's and enjoy what the car is, just fit GT3 LCA and some R spec tyres and go drive it and save your self 50k, it's the best drivers car out the box already !!!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
why put a 3.8 in it ? or want PDK ?

strip it out to 1100Kg's and enjoy what the car is, just fit GT3 LCA and some R spec tyres and go drive it and save your self 50k, it's the best drivers car out the box already !!!
going from a RS to Cayman, would want the 3.8L and PDK.

Looking to beat the RS....
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought a Boxster Spyder too. Getting it next week. I could have bought a Cayman S or R version............but the Spyder is more fun with the top down and the wife likes it. AS I get older I am become a cobariolet/ Spyder/Spider lover.

TC Cline Spyder was the one of fastest cars at Laguna several years ago............what mods did they install?
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Joe rumor has it you will be the proud new owner of the white/tan Spyder from Beachwood! Congrats on an awesome ride and almost my twin! If you want to trade your sand beige sport buckets because your wife thinks they are uncomfortable, then please let me know
Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
Joe rumor has it you will be the proud new owner of the white/tan Spyder from Beachwood! Congrats on an awesome ride and almost my twin! If you want to trade your sand beige sport buckets because your wife thinks they are uncomfortable, then please let me know
LOL, score!!

Joe, congratulations on an awesome car. You'll love it.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks guys..........my employees berated me for buying a Spyder.........dude its a girls cars. BULL**** I told them.

the car is so Cool looking and fast.

How did you know I bought that car from Porsche of Beechwood?

I have to get a Philadelphia parking BOOT to stop my 16 year old daughter from try to steal it!

Should be a blast..............have plenty of new ideas for sports exhaust systems for the car.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
Should be a blast..............have plenty of new ideas for sports exhaust systems for the car.
Ohhhhh, I'm listening.

BTW, I just realized that you're THE Joe, a.k.a. Mr. Fabiani himself!! Welcome!!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
Thanks guys..........my employees berated me for buying a Spyder.........dude its a girls cars. BULL**** I told them.

the car is so Cool looking and fast.

How did you know I bought that car from Porsche of Beechwood?

I have to get a Philadelphia parking BOOT to stop my 16 year old daughter from try to steal it!

Because I was talking to them about it for a while just because I wanted those seats so bad. But I held myself back. I asked the other day if it was still available and they said Fabspeed bought it.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats Joe, very cool color combo and car! Your employees will learn with time that the Spyder is every bit as awesome and capable as the 911 and other high performance cars.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:09 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Don't think you ever answered my question about the seats? Have you heard how hard to get in and out of they are? I hear they are very uncomfortable on long drives as well. Just food for thought...
Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't think you ever answered my question about the seats? Have you heard how hard to get in and out of they are? I hear they are very uncomfortable on long drives as well. Just food for thought...

Entering and exiting the seats is a maneuver that becomes second nature quickly. As for the seats, I have had four back fractures and find them to be the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a sports car.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
jabo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took mine on a long drive and they were very comfortable.
I would not want to buy another porsche without them.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:28 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Sorry guys I was trying to be sarcastic
Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys I was trying to be sarcastic
I didn't catch it as the dealer who had the Spyder without the sport seats warned me furiously about the perils of buying one with the non adjustable seats. Sometimes it's best to just stay silent so I did but I was thinking, "yeah like getting someone to swap my carbon fiber sport buckets with alacantra for some other seat is going to be an issue if I don't like them".

Quick Reply: Caymen R vs. Spyder?