Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone figured out how to get more HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadyKW
I got a 3.8 GTS junkyard motor.
please tell me that is going in your Spyder.....

manual or PDK?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn
I have sold an R8 V10 for a track car an chose the Cayman R. Lots of work getting a heigo roll bar (rear), GT2 seats, RSS LCA'S, toe links, trofeos etc. but now I want more power. I love the feel and the balance of his car bit really is a special little beat, but moreover would be great.

What costs and gains are w looking at with a 3.8 conversion vs maximizing the stock engine?

I'm hearing 25-35k for a build. I have also heard a 4.0 Metzger is possible (new tranny too?). Of ourselves there is always the Flatsix 4.2 build.

Anyone actually do one of these? Pros vs cons?
The numbers are one thing, but reliability matters. Especially if you track the car.
The 3.8L motor is the reliable and cost effective choice. Daytona 24h proven.
Forget about GT3 motors as they are too expensive to buy and replace.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 PM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anecdotal evidence says Flat6 is taking a 3.6 DFI OEM crank and combining with LN Eng. 104mm pistons along with their nikasil sleeves. This gives you 4.15L. A 3.6 DFI crank in a 3.8 gives you a 4.0L (LN Eng. can get you the pistons for this). Anecdotal evidence says the Flat6 conversion is close to $30k. Flat6 doesn't want to talk cause they are afraid everyone will take their secrets.

I found and purchased a GTS 3.8. This path was recommended by John at BGB. John is a straight shooter. He recommended it for the cylinder heads.

I can strip this engine and prep it for install myself. Its not rocket science. I am toying with the idea of putting in a 3.6 crank and pistons for a 4.0. Who is familiar with the internals of a DFI motor? The crank is about $3500 new. All speed shops will have to be proficient with the 9A1 because this is the future of flat 6 engines.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
please tell me that is going in your Spyder
Sorry friend, I'm not a open cockpit kind of guy. Cayman R.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

please tell me that is going in your Spyder....
Looks to me like a Cayman R. Unless it's been tweaked a bit.

As far as Mezger engines in 987: yeah, it's been done before.. and recently. Expensive though. "Bullet-proof" but expensive. And they can blow... ask me how I know. Then again, it's a metallic mechanical moving part - what doesn't fail after enough stresses have been applied?

I like Steve's idea of 991 GT3 engine in 987s!!

Last edited by the_vetman; 05-21-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry friend, I'm not a open cockpit kind of guy. Cayman R.
Why do you have to post as I'm typing and make me look like a fool?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:59 PM
ReadyKW
Advanced

manual or PDK?
Sorry, missed that. Manual. Not a PDK guy either. Nothing against PDK, I love it. Just not for me. Old school!!

The 3.8L motor is the reliable and cost effective choice. Daytona 24h proven
I did a lot of research on the 9A1 engine before I bought. I went to a Cayman Interseries race and talked to the owners and mechanics. This is a good engine. I read in the GT3 forums of people crying and nashing teeth. It seems if its not expensive, it can't be any good. BS. BGB and others like them are my inspiration.

Before I bought my Cayman R, I came within $1000 of buying a 2007 GT3RS but couldn't close the deal. The R intrigued me, and the cost of ownership is much less. I much prefer the mid engine platform, and I got a great deal on ordering the R from my dealer. Porsche refuses to unleash the platform, and I bristle when told "no". I will build the car Porsche refuses to. This is a great platform. I have owned a lot of cars, and I love this one. Just needs more HP. I may fail, but it won't stop me from trying.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ReadyKW... You are in ca, what about smog... Or just track, or you know "a guy"?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Why do you have to post as I'm typing and make me look like a fool?
its ok... im the fool... I should have known it was a Caymen R.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I did a lot of research on the 9A1 engine before I bought. I went to a Cayman Interseries race and talked to the owners and mechanics. This is a good engine. I read in the GT3 forums of people crying and nashing teeth. It seems if its not expensive, it can't be any good. BS. BGB and others like them are my inspiration.

Before I bought my Cayman R, I came within $1000 of buying a 2007 GT3RS but couldn't close the deal. The R intrigued me, and the cost of ownership is much less. I much prefer the mid engine platform, and I got a great deal on ordering the R from my dealer. Porsche refuses to unleash the platform, and I bristle when told "no". I will build the car Porsche refuses to. This is a great platform. I have owned a lot of cars, and I love this one. Just needs more HP. I may fail, but it won't stop me from trying.
Im in the same same mindset. Im looking to stuff a 3.8L GTS in a 987 body to have a killer track car yet still enjoyable on the street instead of parked on a trailer. It has been done and proven with great results.
My RS is dandy and all that but now I have 40k miles and no warranty, therefore I do not wish to replace the engine nor have accidental body damage at the track.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Anecdotal evidence says Flat6 is taking a 3.6 DFI OEM crank and combining with LN Eng. 104mm pistons along with their nikasil sleeves. This gives you 4.15L. A 3.6 DFI crank in a 3.8 gives you a 4.0L (LN Eng. can get you the pistons for this). Anecdotal evidence says the Flat6 conversion is close to $30k. Flat6 doesn't want to talk cause they are afraid everyone will take their secrets.

I found and purchased a GTS 3.8. This path was recommended by John at BGB. John is a straight shooter. He recommended it for the cylinder heads.

I can strip this engine and prep it for install myself. Its not rocket science. I am toying with the idea of putting in a 3.6 crank and pistons for a 4.0. Who is familiar with the internals of a DFI motor? The crank is about $3500 new. All speed shops will have to be proficient with the 9A1 because this is the future of flat 6 engines.
Personally i wouldnt open a sealed motor at this point. Id just plug and play and use bolt on stuff for total reliability.
However more HP is always tempting.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i prefer 3.8 transplant.
we do manufacturing, many different types from light clothing to heavy machinery.....
one off's stuff are ALWAYS fk'd up. there is NO exceptions.
mass produced is the way to go.
3.8 blows up buy another one.
4.15 blows up, how long is the wait to get another?
some ppl have very short fuse and zero patience. 24 hours is about all i got.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn
I have sold an R8 V10 for a track car an chose the Cayman R. Lots of work getting a heigo roll bar (rear), GT2 seats, RSS LCA'S, toe links, trofeos etc. but now I want more power. I love the feel and the balance of his car bit really is a special little beat, but moreover would be great.

What costs and gains are w looking at with a 3.8 conversion vs maximizing the stock engine?

I'm hearing 25-35k for a build. I have also heard a 4.0 Metzger is possible (new tranny too?). Of ourselves there is always the Flatsix 4.2 build.

Anyone actually do one of these? Pros vs cons?
The numbers are one thing, but reliability matters. Especially if you track the car.
a mezger done correctly in cayman is possible but it will make RS4.0 look like a disposable bargain at $250k..

a custom engine.... i welcome you to share reliability once you get one. i had many of those things by some very famous shops/tuners. kaboom then cha ching... are sounds i know well.

3.8 voila ... no brainer if you got a good builder....

if my friends would all quite RS, i would be able to get a cay with 3.8.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Originally Posted by SchmidtsCat
ReadyKW... You are in ca, what about smog... Or just track, or you know "a guy"?
One would have to know their s*$# to tell the difference. It will look identical to the 3.4. The ECU won't know, it just sees a much better flowing 3.4 and will adjust accordingly.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 AM
ReadyKW
Advanced

Originally Posted by mooty
i prefer 3.8 transplant.
we do manufacturing, many different types from light clothing to heavy machinery.....
one off's stuff are ALWAYS fk'd up. there is NO exceptions.
mass produced is the way to go.
3.8 blows up buy another one.
4.15 blows up, how long is the wait to get another?
some ppl have very short fuse and zero patience. 24 hours is about all i got.
Good point. John at BGB says that a new GTS motor is $14k WITH core. I have the core now!! The 3.8 case needs a little modifying but can be done carefully without opening the motor. The motor I have is a Dec. 2010 with 10,100 miles.

Quick Reply: Has anyone figured out how to get more HP