Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thill trackday and LSD discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Thill trackday and LSD discussion

So while my lap times are comparatively pathetic next to Ben (2:06-2:07), I make up for it (slightly) with better quality video.

Unfortunatly, my rear camera with the external mic was frizzing out on me, so I only had one session with good audio (damn you, gopro). FF to 5:23 for that part. This was the session where I got some footage of redyps and Schmidt's Cat, though.

In regards to my brembo type III brake rotors and PFC08 pads, I'm very happy with the setup. Zero issues with fade or stopping power. I've always been able to get my brakes to smoke on the BRZ and my old Evo, but the spyder brakes still never smoke. I think that the sheer size of the PCCB calipers and corresponding rotors have a lot of capacity in them. Stopping power is much better with the PFC08 pads over the P40 OEM PCCB pads. However, with the increased stopping power, a new 'issue' has come up:

The rear end of my car likes to squirm like mad when braking hard from 100+ mph. So much so, it feels like I might lose control of the car. The rear chase cam from my buddy following me doesn't seem to show that much wiggle, but I definitely feel it, and it can be disconcerting. Is this a problem with my stock LSD? I'm guessing I need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a guards LSD if I want to get rid of this, but I'd like to hear any other thoughts as to why this might be happening or what I can do about it. Interestingly enough, Ben doesn't seem to have this problem. Is this because he has PDK and I'm manual? Is this because of my larger brakes? Is it the GT3 master cylinder? Is this because I'm doing something wrong techically? (I believe I'm braking in a straight line).
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really see in your video where the car looks to be unstable at all. Is there a place in the video that you can point out that will show what you're talking about more clearly?

Erik
Old 04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

I just finished my first track day with an upgraded LSD in my 'R.' I have the drexler (ala, Cup car type). The biggest difference I noticed was in the stability of the braking. Its much more confidence inspiring. I think you will like it.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
I have the drexler (ala, Cup car type).
Not sure what you mean by this comment. GKN makes the Cup Car LSDs, along with both the GT3 and Cayman street car LSDs. And nothing from a Cup Car gearbox is cross compatible to a Cayman.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:41 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GBoxguys
I don't really see in your video where the car looks to be unstable at all. Is there a place in the video that you can point out that will show what you're talking about more clearly?

Erik
I agree that the video doesn't show it. The 'waggle' must be more subtle than what I am actually feeling in the drivers seat. I suppose it would be much more concerning if it was obvious in the video. Nonetheless, I could definitely feel it and would like a solution to the problem. If an aftermarket LSD is the answer, I would go for it to at least give me more confidence and feeling of saftey.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

with all your mods..............looks like a GT3 is beckoning...................
Old 04-26-2013, 07:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

related track mods are:

tires, brake pads, control arms, remus exhaust, GT3 master cylinder, GT3 brake ducts. GT3s have a crappy LSD that needs to be replaced too.

Pretty minimal if you ask me. No need for a GT3 when someone like Ben can put them all to shame. Besides, I can't afford one right now anyway. The new stingray at $51k though.....

Khooni, where have you been? You were silent in my PCCB replacement thread...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
bensf
Racer

I used to have the same problem and it was especially noticeable during braking for T1. It was very disconcerting but nothing bad happened so I soldiered on. I was told replacing rubber bushings with solid ones in the suspension would help but it went away on it's own. I'm wondering if change in toe setting during my last alignment made the difference.

Btw your videos are a million times better than mine.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
I used to have the same problem and it was especially noticeable during braking for T1. It was very disconcerting but nothing bad happened so I soldiered on. I was told replacing rubber bushings with solid ones in the suspension would help but it went away on it's own. I'm wondering if change in toe setting during my last alignment made the difference.

Btw your videos are a million times better than mine.
YES! Turn 1 was the worst! I'm assuming it's because we moving at the fastest rate prior to the braking point for that particular turn. Interesting thought on alignment. Maybe I'll have it checked before the next track day.

Ben, when you finally get your solo, I'll setup a video for you. We need some solid video of your accomplishments.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
related track mods are:

tires, brake pads, control arms, remus exhaust, GT3 master cylinder, GT3 brake ducts. GT3s have a crappy LSD that needs to be replaced too.

Pretty minimal if you ask me. No need for a GT3 when someone like Ben can put them all to shame. Besides, I can't afford one right now anyway. The new stingray at $51k though.....

Khooni, where have you been? You were silent in my PCCB replacement thread...
I have been completely snowed in at work. But last weekend managed to get to spa in Belgium for one of the greatest tracks on earth. 4.5 miles of track heaven in the hills.

Completely bonded with the car there. Also got a race coach.

Anyway, as usual, I am waiting for you to lead the way on the pccb replacements. Just saw the other thread on thunder hill lap times.. Awesome job Ben. You guys are posting some incredible times. I could only wish to be half as fast on my best day.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by khooni
I am waiting for you to lead the way on the pccb replacements
Old news, buddy:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...my-spyder.html

You really have been busy!
Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 PM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ben, when you finally get your solo, I'll setup a video for you. We need some solid video of your accomplishments.
Hey wait ... are you saying that my videos suck?

Just kidding. I definitely need your help, I appreciate the offer and will take full advantage.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 PM
bensf
Racer

Originally Posted by khooni
Just saw the other thread on thunder hill lap times.. Awesome job Ben. You guys are posting some incredible times. I could only wish to be half as fast on my best day.
Thanks. You're almost there. After all blue is the fastest color.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bensf
Hey wait ... are you saying that my videos suck?

Just kidding. I definitely need your help, I appreciate the offer and will take full advantage.
Yup. They suck. LOL. You gotta show all that skill in full HD glory with full data overlay so we can see how it's DONE. I can only make humorous videos with my car....
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Which external mic are you using and by what path through that car did you wire it?

Quick Reply: Thill trackday and LSD discussion