Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for 981 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice for 981 build

Hello everyone,

I've always been a Porsche fan since my father gave me a Porsche toy when I was little and it's now time for me to buy my first Porsche.
Since I'm in love with the design of the new 981 I'm going to settle for it! (before that I wanted a Cayman)

I created a build and I was wondering if you could have a look and tell me what you think about it.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PE2TGJL7
Is there any must-have I might have forgotten?
Is there any stuff I'd better remove?

I also have some questions
S or not? It's 10k difference, but is it worth it? I never drove a Porsche by the way (I have to go to the dealership to test one). In fact I never had a sport car, I'm currently owning a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport S (that I absolutely love especially with no top and no door ).
What do you think about the 14-way seats (and the Premium package for that matter)?
Leather for the interior? (never had a leather interior car)

And finally I'm still having hesitations on the colors.
Exterior/Top/Interior
Sapphire Blue/Black/Black
Agate Grey/Red/Carrera Red (I think it's the one on the marketing materials)
Sapphire Blue/Black/Carrera Red (this one is maybe too much no?)

I always had cars with black interior and I'd like to change and I really like the Red one. But I'd also have an exterior different that Black/Grey so I'm kinda struggling with that.

Thanks to everyone!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If you can afford the "S", get it. Adding power to these cars aftermarket is very $$$$ and suspect at best.

In all my "Porsche Years" I've seen an "S" owner wish they had a base model. I've seen hundreds of base owners wish they bought the "S".
Old 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

The cool thing is that I'm currently living in Canada and I'll be moving to Seattle in October.
In Canada my current build costs 83,000$ with taxes. In Washington it will costs ~70,000$, so I have an extra 13k to spend (or to keep)
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not Funny!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Yeah it was my thought the first time I went to the dealership in Montreal (where the taxes are even bigger than in Ontario)!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

okay honestly, it's hard for me to look at such a lightly optioned car. (maybe because misery loves company...) Anyway, hide all the aluminum trim under leather options and you're good to go. I like the color combo, and I guess the red calipers only come on the S? I like red, but in the end, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Cool that you shared that build link. Love technology these days...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Domer911
okay honestly, it's hard for me to look at such a lightly optioned car. (maybe because misery loves company...)
Yeah that's what I was talking about.
What other options do you think are worth it?
When you're spending 80k on a car you might as well get it right
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As everyone says, it depends on what you value/want. Luxury or pure Porsche sport or both? I like some of each. Do the red interior with full leather, S, screw the sound and butt messaging seats. Do Manual, and PSE. Then go enjoy it.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:36 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

I like your car. There are no must have options afaic. A base 981 with nothing is an amazing car.

i will say this though, out of all the options on my 981S, the one option i would check first is PASM.

If you live where roads are less than optimal PASM is great. It povides the perfect combination of enahnced handling and comfortable ride. i dont know how Porsche does it as peviously comfort always came at the expense of ultimate handling. Not so with PASM. The ride is comfortable but the feel is taught and sharp amazing.

I like the full leather. thets one option I wish I got on my 981S as the stitching on the dash especially deviated stitching gives it a real nice look.

Congrats and good luck
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu

If you live where roads are less than optimal PASM is great. It povides the perfect combination of enahnced handling and comfortable ride. i dont know how Porsche does it as peviously comfort always came at the expense of ultimate handling. Not so with PASM. The ride is comfortable but the feel is taught and sharp amazing.

Congrats and good luck
I got screwed then...when I invoke PASM on either of my p-cars, "comfort" is the very last thing on the menu.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

I have an '08 RS 60 Spyder.
GT Silver Metallic, red leather, red top. Love that combo. Which is the same color combo as the car shown thru out the 2013 Boxster brochure. Not the Agate grey like you mentioned which is much darker.
My car has PASM, never use it on the street, too harsh. Would only consider if you plan to track the car. I would trade the PASM for the Sport Exhaust.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Even on track, PASM is not always great. I never used it in my 3 or RS.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Here's my 2 cents CND / 1.3 cents USD. Y

Re: Basic 981 or 981 S? It's an extra chunk of $$ and I just want a basic car withi a great engine that I can keep in the higher revs without going crazy fast. Check out the Feb issue of Panorama mag.

Add:
1. PSE - sport exhaust or PASM
2. Sport Seats Plus - a must for extra bolsters on the side

Drop:
1. Power Steering Boost - WTF? Don't need it. This is a light car.

And youll have a BITCHIN' ride!

Here's my build of a basic 981 for comparison:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PEMAK2X2

My wife thinks white cars are, errr.., a bit 'fancy' if you know what I mean but I saw a 2012 TT cab in white over black, yellow PCCBs and red seat belts and it looked AWESOME.

Whoops - sub 19 inch wheels for the 18's in the build

Last edited by Zeus993; 04-17-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Here's my 2 cents CND / 1.3 cents USD.

1. Power Steering Boost - WTF? Don't need it. This is a light car.

About white cars: I've never had a white car before the Spyder and never wanted a white car. As things turned out (and not planned this way), all my vehicles will be white soon!!

Spyder (wanted ABM or CW... got CW), Gixxer (limited edition white with blue and black accents - muah!), and I just bought a Tacoma V6 for towing..... yup, white. I had no intention of getting a white truck but such is the used car market - you grab it if a good car comes along at a great deal.

So now I'm gonna be all whited out... and I'm not even white!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

My CS is my first white car ever... Somehow appropriate, not to mention how practical.

Quick Reply: Advice for 981 build