Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 981 reliability - let's get better info

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM
mkaresh
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 981 reliability - let's get better info

TrueDelta updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year to track cars' reliability closely as they age.

Thanks to the help of this forum, for which I'm very grateful, we've been able to provide increasingly precise stats for the 986 and 987. I'd love to do the same for the 981, just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Participants simply report repairs quarterly on a one-page survey. No repairs? Then the response is little more than an approximate odometer reading.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to the results for all models for free. I'll also share updated stats for the 981 in this thread once we have them. Currently, we're just a few cars short of being able to include the new Boxster (and Cayman, for 2014+) in the survey.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

http://www.truedelta.com/join
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 AM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
TrueDelta updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year to track cars' reliability closely as they age.

Thanks to the help of this forum, for which I'm very grateful, we've been able to provide increasingly precise stats for the 986 and 987. I'd love to do the same for the 981, just a matter of getting more owners involved.

Participants simply report repairs quarterly on a one-page survey. No repairs? Then the response is little more than an approximate odometer reading.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to the results for all models for free. I'll also share updated stats for the 981 in this thread once we have them. Currently, we're just a few cars short of being able to include the new Boxster (and Cayman, for 2014+) in the survey.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

http://www.truedelta.com/join
I have been using the TrueDelta service for a few years and I can confirm it is as easy to use as he says. I can also tell you that, IMHO, he does NOT sell your info to anybody else. My new Boxster is registered but he needs more folks to start inputting data before the info becomes statistically relevant. This can be a useful tool if enough of us sign up and use the website.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Thank you for putting a good word in!

We're currently about halfway to the minimum sample size with the 2013 Boxster. Getting there!

The 2014s are also off to a good start. If a few more owners joined for each year, we could include them both.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:40 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Closer, but not quite there yet.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you posted to Planet 9?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 AM
Bocatrip
AutoX

Planet 9 is definitely where the real stories are. There is a ton of info regarding customer service experiences. Are you able to post on that site?
Old 10-27-2013, 12:08 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Thanks for the tip. I have permission to post there, will see what I can do to reach more people.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM
mkaresh
Racer

I've now posted there. We'll likely be able to include both the 2013 and 2014 in the next round of the survey. Get enough responses and we'll have stats in February. Otherwise May.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:21 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Both years have been added. We still need more cars signed up to reach the minimum sample size, but we should now get there sooner rather than later. Probably have some initial stats in May.

To help (if you aren't already):

www.truedelta.com/join
Old 03-28-2014, 05:43 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Both years are now a bit above the minimum. We should have some stats with the next update, in May, but it's going to be close. A few more of each could make the difference.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM
Speeddeacon
Intermediate

I've had cars registered on True Delta for several years now. Just ordered a 981 so won't have anything to report until fall but can vouch for the information Michael provides. It's a great resource.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:26 PM
mkaresh
Racer

Our reliability stats for the latest Boxster and Cayman now include owner experiences through March 31, 2014, making them nearly a year ahead of other sources.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2014 Boxster and Cayman: 11, low
2013 Boxster: 0, low, small sample size

Thank you, once again, everyone who has been helping. Next update in August.

For a deeper dive, including the stats for other cars and repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Porsche Boxster reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM
mkaresh
Racer

We've updated our reliability stats for the Boxster to include owner experiences through June 30, 2014 (making them about 14 months ahead of some others).

2014 Boxster and Cayman: 18, low
2013 Boxster: 16, low

Like most sports cars, Boxsters tend to be driven about half as many miles per year as the average car.

Next updates in November and in February. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For repair descriptions, the stats of other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 PM
mkaresh
Racer

We've updated our reliability stats for the Boxster to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

2014 Boxster and Cayman: 20, low
2013 Boxster and Cayman: 13, low

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 PM
mkaresh
Racer

We've updated our reliability stats for the Boxster and Cayman to include owner experiences through the end of 2014. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2014 Boxster and Cayman: 21, low
2013 Boxster: 11, low

Both are low, I wouldn't read anything into the difference between these two scores.

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2014 Boxster and Cayman: 84, < 1

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, including how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Quick Reply: Porsche 981 reliability - let's get better info