Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981S PSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Chap3748
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981S PSE

Hi guys

I am a prospective 981S Boxster owner waiting for June production. Similar to most of you I am sleeping with my labtop in the past two months to go through the configurator and forum discussions so I can understand more about PASM, PSE, SC, etc. so I can make up my mind deciding the options. I have until end of April to finalise the list.

Among the options that I am looking into, I consider PSE to be the most interesting. I have never owned nor driven a Porsche before until today but what I can say is I am a sound guy. I came from a MB C63 and it has quite an amazing stock exhaust. What I can find from the many forum discussions seemed to suggest that PSE is a great option. In particular the review from EVO magazine suggested that it is a “must have”. What troubles me is that in one forum discussion one of the owner mentioned that there is some drone at cruising speed and after testing with another car it was concluded that it might be due to the set up of pdk not entirely matched with the PSE, and hence the drone. At one point I am thinking to go MT but from where I am located my dealer told me MT is not yet available. Therefore I am stuck with pdk, which I don’t mind because of the many things it can do.

However, this leaves me some questions in mind:
- Is the drone serious enough to annoy me?
- What will the “PSE” button alone do?
- How much will the “Sport” button add to PSE?
- How much will the “Sport Plus” button add to PSE?
- How “good” is PSE as a whole and is it worth it?

Luckily, today I have a chance to find out all of the above because the dealer told me there is a test car with PSE available. Although I wanted very much to drive a pdk/PSE and a MT/PSE car back to back to complete this controlled experiment but as I mentioned before MT 981 is not available where I am located. After the test drive I can now answer all of the above and I wish to share my experience with anyone considering PSE.

Test car: 981S with SC, PASM, PSE, 20” wheels, pdk.

Everything off: With everything off the car is so comfortable. It sounds like a typical sports car with a sporty note. No drone whatsoever.

PSE button on, everything else off: As other forum members have tested before, this adds very little difference to “PSE off”. However, I can hear a slight increase in sound level especially I think during higher rpm. What I can confirm is that it is definitely louder than “button off” but maybe we all expect a bit more difference in sound level when the button is on to ensure the drama. Again, I don’t realize any drone.

Sport button on, PSE on: This is when the exhaust starts coming to life. Throttle blip, the crackers firing when lifting the throttle, even the sound between gear changes is so fascinating. This is also when I start realizing some drone when the top is up. It happens when I step on the throttle trying to accelerate during higher gear at low rpm (around 2000+rpm) when there is less torque. It is true that there is some drone, but I am glad that it has not breach my tolerance level. Also, this is only more apparent when the top is up. When top down the drone is much less apparent.

Sport plus button on, PSE on: This is when I went to heaven. Everything seems to become more aggressive. I have pdk set to manual because otherwise every gear will be shifted at redline. In this mode, every exhaust note is further exaggerated from the previous Sport button. From throttle blip to off throttle crackle, to every flip of the gear paddles, the character of the sound and aggressiveness reminds me of F1. Although sound level is not up there with the Ferraris, I am sure that it is good enough to keep people smiling every time in the car. Unfortunately drone is also slightly more apparent at the same rpm and drive condition. But what works for me is that at such cruising speed and situation, I would simply switch off PSE and drone seems to disappear.

In any case I have come to my own conclusion. The joy of PSE no doubt outweigh the slight drone at certain drive conditions, and any such situation can be easily mitigated by switching off PSE. Also, in my opinion SC is a must have to accompany PSE. It has taken PSE to another level. Notwithstanding its quicker acceleration, in my previous C63 only throttle blip on downshift made me smile. In the 981S PSE/SC equipped car with top down and Sport Plus, every push of the throttle, flip of gear paddle, and downshift blipping make me laugh. Six hours after test drive I am still in between Heaven and Utopia.

I hope this is useful to those interested.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great review, it matches my own experience nicely!

Since PSE wasn't available from the factory when I ordered my car, I had it retrofitted and therefore I have some experience comparing stock with PSE.

PSE actually sounds better than stock exhaust even in "off" mode. It has a deeper sound and I find it slightly louder, so the difference between stock and PSE is actually quite significant.

I'm curious why your dealer claims that MT "isn't available"? It's been available from the start. Are you located somewhere where the local spec creates a problem for Porsche to deliver a MT?
Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Chap3748
2nd Gear

I guess that must be it. Dealer said a few guys ordering a MT has been on wait for 9 months and Porsche can still not commit to a date for delivery! That's actually not bad for me because I have one less decision to make!
Old 10-18-2016, 08:35 PM
neilvosko
AutoX

great post
i am curious how the PSE compares to the Carnewal GT Exhaust Modification for 981 Cayman, a la:

https://cantrellmotorsport.com/produ...ayman-boxster/

Quick Reply: 981S PSE