Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting PCCB rotors to steel on my Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
When PCCB was first introduced and people started using them at the track there were lots of reports of premature wear and other unhappiness. Later, we were told, All Is Well with PCCB V2.

OrthoJoe's saga tells us that PCCB are really not compatible with track use; and IMO they are ridiculous for the street so they are just plain ridiculous.

Comments?
I'd have to agree that they don't serve any real purpose. Although, I will say I like the look of the large 6 piston calipers behind my 19" wheels.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

It's the turn in which you will notice I would think.
I love how the car feels with PCCB regarding that.

I have driven a normal Boxster back to back and it felt dull.
But not a steel disk Spyder.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically the car will handle a bit better with the Brembos. Why? Porsche does not provide a different spring rate for PCCB shed cars. I would love to soften the stock fronts a bit since I have PCCB and the LI battery.

Pad choice is critical on the PCCBs. Porsche had a bulletin that explains what pads to use for the track. I got 5 years out of my PCCB brakes on my GT3. No issues at all but I only tracked 4-5 times a year. (I drove the car hard.)
Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
2) I am SUPER HAPPY right now with my brake pedal. I FINALLY HAVE A SHORT TRAVEL, FIRM PEDAL. Mushy pedal is GONE! This is what I've been hoping to have for the past 2 years! It must be the brake pads combined with the GT3 master cylinder. I'm elated right now. Hopefully it doesn't change after I bed in the pads, which I'll do tomorrow am.
Joe, this is great to hear!!

I'm happy for you that you're finally happy with your brake pedal after so much frustration!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default OEM Brembo vs Brembo High Performance

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Unless I'm mistaken, Porsche brakes are made by Brembo?? Perhaps Alex was referring to Brembo BBKs (vs. the OEM Porsche brakes also made by Brembo).
Originally Posted by orthojoe
Vet, not sure who makes the PCCB rotors, but the rotors that I bought and the rotors being referred to by Alex and Eduardo are made by brembo specifically for this application
Oh, I'm sorry, I was referring to the steel brakes. I'm pretty sure that Brembo is the OEM supplier of Porsche steel brakes. IDK who makes PCCB brakes for Porsches either.

As you said, Brembo also makes the "conversion" kit and BBK.
A few years ago, right here on Rennlist, I read one of the best post regarding this subject. I was written by Gary Cogis, a salesperson for Race Technologies, the Brembo Performance Distributor in the US. I found it very useful...and I hope you guys will too!

"OEM Porsche calipers are in fact made by Brembo.
OEM Porsche discs are not.

OEM Brembo, and Brembo High Performance, are very different. OEM development follows a different criteria for design, performance, longevity, cost, etc...

Porsche's are definitely known for having some of the best braking cars on the planet, in comparison to other road going cars. That doesn't mean that there's not significant room for improvement, and that's exactly what Brembo's High Performance division focuses their developments on.

That said, Your ultimate goals with your car should dictate the direction you want to go next....followed by your budget, and your expectations of what an aftermarket braking solution should provide/accomplish.

You can upgrade pads, brake fluid, and lines to make sure the OEM system is working to it's optimum capabilities.

You could upgrade to higher quality aftermarket Brembo 2pc. discs in order to save weight, improve temperature management, increase component quality, and overall longevity.

You could also consider an OEM transplant such as Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers and the larger 350mm discs.
Some have even gone the extra step and used the Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers WITH aftermarket Brembo 2pc. lightweight discs.

If you really want to spend some money and not look back, there's a handful of aftermarket brake kit options from Brembo that include their aftermarket monobloc calipers, their 2pc. discs, pads, lines, and hardware in a number of different combinations to cater to different types of expectations, usage, driving styles, and wheel fitments.

Brembo worked extensively with Porsche on the development of the OEM braking system (including the entire corner module...wheel carrier and uprights), so they already have a significant head start on where they can make practical and noticeable improvements that cater to performance enthusiast who have already exceeded the limits of the OEM braking system. In my humble and educated opinion, the OEM brakes are quite good, and with minor upgrades like pads, fluid, lines,... and if necessary, their 2pc rotor kits,... will undoubtedly perform at a much higher level than most other companies aftermarket BBK options. And if you still feel that you are at a level that requires a complete system upgrade, Brembo's High Performance aftermarket systems are the only options I would trust to improve upon Brembo's OEM systems."

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 04-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Eduardo. Does anyone know if the gt3 calipers can be easily fitted to a cayman s? Some take-offs and the two piece rotors could be a sweet and affordable (?) upgrade. Joe?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Excellent info. Thanks, Eduardo!

And I forgot to specify earlier that rotors are not Brembo. OEM suppliers include Zimmerman, Sebro, etc. Now that I think about it, OEM brake pads aren't Brembo either... Textar, etc.

So I guess it comes down to calipers, uprights, etc. Hmmm...
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Does anyone know if the gt3 calipers can be easily fitted to a cayman s?
EDIT: oops, please ignore this post. I didn't catch the "calipers" part.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by texasviany
Technically the car will handle a bit better with the Brembos. Why? Porsche does not provide a different spring rate for PCCB shed cars. I would love to soften the stock fronts a bit since I have PCCB and the LI battery.

Pad choice is critical on the PCCBs. Porsche had a bulletin that explains what pads to use for the track. I got 5 years out of my PCCB brakes on my GT3. No issues at all but I only tracked 4-5 times a year. (I drove the car hard.)
I took the car out to some remote twisty roads this AM. I didn't notice any difference in handling. This is a good thing for me. Keep in mind, again, I am not the best when it comes to noticing subtle differences.

As far as pad choice goes, Porsche doesn't give us many choices. P40. That's it. They used to allow P50, but then changed their minds. Just like they changed their minds on the longevity of PCCBs. Just like they changed their minds on the service intervals of centerlocks...

Joe, this is great to hear!!

I'm happy for you that you're finally happy with your brake pedal after so much frustration!
Thanks man. The pedal is still not GT3 solid, IMO. However, it's solid enough for me at this point.

Originally Posted by Z356
You could also consider an OEM transplant such as Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers and the larger 350mm discs.
Some have even gone the extra step and used the Porsche 6-piston GT3 calipers WITH aftermarket Brembo 2pc. lightweight discs.
Great re-post, Ed. I think the recommendation above is essentially what my setup currently is. Larger OEM 6 piston calipers with aftermarket 2-piece brembo 350mm discs.
The OEM PCCB calipers have 'made in italy' stamped on them, and I have to restate that they feel VERY light. Surprisingly light.

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Thanks Eduardo. Does anyone know if the gt3 calipers can be easily fitted to a cayman s? Some take-offs and the two piece rotors could be a sweet and affordable (?) upgrade. Joe?
Ian, if you're looking to upgrade your brakes to a larger size, I think take-offs are a good idea. Whether or not it's needed is debatable. There are plenty of guys running OEM steel sized 4 pot calipers and do just fine. If you want to go bigger, though, some 987 PCCB take offs, 997.1 GT3, 996 GT3, or equivalent would do the job nicely. It would probably be an easy swap to do, assuming that the mounting points to the hub are the same (I don't know if this is the case). 380mm sized 997.2 GT3 calipers are probably overkill for our application, given that 350mm is likely overkill already.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks joe, I may do brakes down the road. 997.1 seems prudent, if.... They bolt up. Next step for me will be PSS10s, I think. I'm looking forward to feeling the recent mods at TH. then think about what's next.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

One more thing to note about my setup:

The front pfc08 pad shape is compatible with the rotor and caliper, but the shape is not identical to the stock pads. As a result, the retaining spring does not stabilize the pads as well and you will sometimes hear a little rattle coming from the brake pads moving inside the caliper. Some people don't bother using the retaining spring when it's a dedicated track car because the rattling is only an issue when driving at slow speeds over bumps. In this case, since the pad shape is slightly different and the pads rattle anyway, the retaining spring might not be worth installing at all..... Or might make the rattle even worse. I'd have to test it out
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

What is your front and rear camber now ?

Am just about to get mine changed, but mine is a road car with maybe 3 track days this year, was going to go -1.5 all round and see what happens.
After a better road car than track, on track I'll drive round the issue and is only for fun.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I'm running -2.0 in the front and -1.8 in the rear. I think for dual street/track use this setting is a good compromise.

My next alignment will likely be more aggressive, though, if I continue to see outer edge wear on my NT01s
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Pic with the wheel mounted and after brakes bedded:

Next weekend I'll throw back on the track wheels to get ready for April 19th
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

OrthoJoe: You've got the really hot setup now !

You look so cool with the yellow PCCB calipers and yet you're running the better setup !!

Quick Reply: Converting PCCB rotors to steel on my Spyder