Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting PCCB rotors to steel on my Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Here in the Uk the talk is, keep them cool, treat them like steels but give them 2 cool down laps.

It seems people are over heating them thinking PCCB means you can stay out a lot longer.

I bought GT3 ducts yesterday only £6 the pair :-) .
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

I was told this by a guy who has links with Porsche

"A steel Porsche spec is 30 stops with fade resistance, the PCCB spec is 50 stops with fade resistance and shorter stopping distance. ( and of course the weight saving benefits ).

After that you just look after them like steels.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

And don't run pads over 50% worn on track.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I've followed all the recommendations on pccb care, including swapping pads out at 50%. I still have wear. I honestly believe most of the wear came from two track days at Laguna Seca. That track is brutal on brakes. I'll bet if I never took the car to Laguna, I'd still be running PCCB right now

Also, I've never experienced fade or overheat on the spyder with the PCCBs. Even at Laguna. Lap sessions are 20-25 minutes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I had no idea the PCCBs were so fragile, those brembos look great BTW!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:29 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by medtech
Wow, I had no idea the PCCBs were so fragile, those brembos look great BTW!
Thanks. This is where marketing meets reality, unfortunately. My friends were told at the Porsche driving school that they never had to replace the PCCB rotors on the cars in their fleet. They bought the line hook and sinker and optioned their Gt3s and turbos with PCCBs. Fast forward two years later and they get an update in the mail that warns increased wear with PCCB during track use....
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Joe, it's quite understandable and I think you are doing the smart thing! Alex 'Sharky' Ross thinks very highly of Brembo for these cars as a replacement for factory OEM, as you may recall when I posted about meeting Steve Colletti & Phil Barker at 'Shark Werks'. And these Brembos also look really good! Good luck! Of course, as a 'John Cooper Works' MY2011 Mini Hatch owner, Brembo's came on my car from factory...so I am already ahead of the curve!
Unless I'm mistaken, Porsche brakes are made by Brembo?? Perhaps Alex was referring to Brembo BBKs (vs. the OEM Porsche brakes also made by Brembo).
Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Vet, not sure who makes the PCCB rotors, but the rotors that I bought and the rotors being referred to by Alex and Eduardo are made by brembo specifically for this application
Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Vet, not sure who makes the PCCB rotors, but the rotors that I bought and the rotors being referred to by Alex and Eduardo are made by brembo specifically for this application
Oh, I'm sorry, I was referring to the steel brakes. I'm pretty sure that Brembo is the OEM supplier of Porsche steel brakes. IDK who makes PCCB brakes for Porsches either.

As you said, Brembo also makes the "conversion" kit and BBK.

Finally, your brakes look great. 350 mm!! I wish....
Old 04-06-2013, 03:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ok, I just finished installing on the other side and did a quick run to shave the zinc plating off the rotors. Not surprisingly, the rotors on the other side weighed the same, so nothing to report there. I haven't bedded the pads in yet, and all I've done is a quick one mile drive at low speeds to shave off that zinc layer as instructed. Thoughts so far:

1) The car doesn't feel like it's become sluggish from the weight. It seems to be just as responsive in terms of throttle application.

2) I am SUPER HAPPY right now with my brake pedal. I FINALLY HAVE A SHORT TRAVEL, FIRM PEDAL. Mushy pedal is GONE! This is what I've been hoping to have for the past 2 years! It must be the brake pads combined with the GT3 master cylinder. I'm elated right now. Hopefully it doesn't change after I bed in the pads, which I'll do tomorrow am.

Lesson learned: OEM pagid P40 pads SUCK compared to PFC08
Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Did you really think that adding a few tens of pound (even unsprung) would make the car feel differently on the street?

ALSO -- pls provide the model number of those PFC pads.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fhp911
Did you really think that adding a few tens of pound (even unsprung) would make the car feel differently on the street?
Honestly, I didn't know what to think. People seem to make such a big deal out of unsprung weight, I was afraid the car would feel sluggish. I'm glad that didn't turn out to be the case.

ALSO -- pls provide the model number of those PFC pads.
Great idea! Here are the part numbers:

Front Brembo rotors: 102.8006A
Rear Brembo rotors: 202.8007A
Front PFC08 pads: 7819.08.17.44
Rear PFC08 pads: 0776.08.17.44

BTW, Fred, that brake tool of yours is sweet. Messing with those stupid spring clips was such a pain. The tool makes pad swapping so much easier. I also picked up a girodisc pad spreader. Again, makes the job sooo much easier. Pricey tools, but worth it if you do this kind of stuff frequently.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:44 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having done it with wheels, a few tens of pounds is noticeable, though I usually feel it more on how the suspension works over uneven surfaces/ Less unsprung weight almost 'dances' over the bumps, allowing better contact with the road surface.

Glad the brake pedal is better, Joe. That also tells us the mushy pedal has nothing to do with the calipers.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Not4off
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced my PCCB rotors at 57,000 miles as the fronts were toast. Rears still had a lot of life left (at least away from a track setting). With the PCCB OEM calipers I now run 997 turbo pads in the front and Carrera S pads in the rear with GiroDisc slotted steel rotors. It's a good fit.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Having done it with wheels, a few tens of pounds is noticeable, though I usually feel it more on how the suspension works over uneven surfaces/ Less unsprung weight almost 'dances' over the bumps, allowing better contact with the road surface.

Glad the brake pedal is better, Joe. That also tells us the mushy pedal has nothing to do with the calipers.
I'll have to pay closer attention to the bumps, Steve. Admittedly, I'm not the best when it comes to noticing subtle differences.

Love my new brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Converting PCCB rotors to steel on my Spyder