Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder/Cayman R Get Together at Shark Werks today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
You're the perfect candidate to quantify it, Joe - enough laps to be consistent and to know where you are gaining and losing time.
Can you swap-out an LSD in a pdk, now?

I think it was around $4K installed, with Kali taxes.
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=382
That's right. The LSD in a PDK is different. I might try the swap next season.

It's always fun meeting Rl'ers, but visiting is a lot cheaper than relocating, especially from FL, where there is no state income tax. You can visit (multiple times a year) in first class and it will still a lot less expensive.

Oh, and no 93-octane gas, either - but you'll pay more for 91-octane than you do now.
+10000
Old 03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

You're the perfect candidate to quantify it, Joe - enough laps to be consistent and to know where you are gaining and losing time.
Can you swap-out an LSD in a pdk, now?

I think it was around $4K installed, with Kali taxes.
$4,000? Sheesh, more than I thought! (I'm cheap )

And I thought GT LSD was around $2,300 (or $2,395)? Maybe that's the Club sport price and Pro is $2,795? Hmm.

+1 about Joe. He seems to have very good audiovisual and data skillz.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, I forgot: Guard is/was working on LSD for PDK.

After declining to do so after some had asked, why the change? I'm told that an un-named race team is funding the entire R&D because they want to race a MT 991, and 991 MT is pretty much a PDK with a manual shifter. It appears to me that it's not ready yet for general sale?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
$4,000? Sheesh, more than I thought! (I'm cheap )

And I thought GT LSD was around $2,300 (or $2,395)? Maybe that's the Club sport price and Pro is $2,795? Hmm.

+1 about Joe. He seems to have very good audiovisual and data skillz.
Yes, it is the more expensive one - once I'm looking at $2400, $500 more for the other advantages just didn't seem like that much.

Great, now all we need to do is accelerate Joe's schedule.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
That's right. The LSD in a PDK is different. I might try the swap next season.
I wonder what the standard LSD in the PDK is like? better than the standard in the manual?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Great, now all we need to do is accelerate Joe's schedule.
Joe needs to accelerate his ability to make money. LOL

I wonder what the standard LSD in the PDK is like? better than the standard in the manual?
Supposedly it's weaker than the LSD placed in the manual transmissions.

How often should we be changing the transmission and diff fluid in these cars that are being tracked?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:45 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
We had a small group of Rennlisters meet at Shark Werks in Fremont, Ca today to celebrate Steve Colletti getting back his '12 Cayman R after some 'mods'! This is a repeat of a similar gathering we had almost one year ago at Alex Ross' shop to see Steve's first rounds of 'improvements' to his Cayman R. I will let Steve go into the technical details of what he has done when he gets around to it. But the one thing that really caught my eye was the Guard Limited Slip Differential from Matt at 'GT Gears' in Boulder, Co that Shark Werks installed on the Cayman R!

http://www.guardtransmission.com/

It is the same unit apparently used in Napleton's Interseries racing Caymans! Hopefully, Steve will fill in the group on the specifics of this particular Limited Slip and why he (and Shark Werks' techs) feel it's a vast improvement over the OEM LSD supplied with our Spyders & Cayman R's by the factory!

Last year we had more time to plan the Fremont event and we had in attendance Joe (OrthoJoe), Ben (Bensf), Ian (Schmidts Cat), Phil (redyps), plus one/two others, besides me & Steve. This year we did this on very short notice (just three days ago!), so we were able to get only Phil to attend besides me & Steve. But we had a lovely tour of Shark Werks facilities & some of the projects they are currently working on. One is a short shifter on a .1 gt3 that eliminates all plastic bushings & replaced them with metal parts! Alex has sold his .1 gt3 RS modified 'RS Green' Kermit to someone in LA, so we didn't see that. However, his .2 gt3 RS 'Riviera Blue' with 'RS Orange' trim was parked on a corner at his shop! After the tour, we went back to our old sushi place http://kaenyama.com/and had a great lunch!

I will again host a gathering of Rennlisters at my home in Carmel in August during the Historics, so I hope some of you Spyder/Cayman R guys are able to attend that one! We had close to ten RListers last August here for drinks! And Karen & I hope to see more of you in 2013!

Saludos,
Eduardo

PS Yes, that is a Fiat 600 on the very back...getting the Shark treatment! Brings back memories of my old 1953 Fiat Topolino & its 17 hp engine!
Great to see you and had a fun Friday! We have to do it again for sure... Now that the weather is all Californian again some of you can drop those tops too eh?

That fiat.. well it's an Abarth edition because the sticker says so

Looking forward to the write up, Steve! Did any discussion on PCCB replacements occur?
Yessir we did! It's complicated but hopefully still helpful

Perhaps we'll do it again next year at Shark Werks. Suggested to Alex Ross that he host a tech session at his shop NEXT Spring to explain modifications he would recommend on 987/991 Boxsters, Caymans, Spyders & Cayman R's! We can make this an informal annual event & review latest on mods for these specific models! Let's see if Sharky bites (pardon the pun) on this idea!

Yes, Steve is probably safely back in LA by now. He took off from Fremont at 3 PM! Hopefully, he will report in tomorrow!

re:PCCB replacements. Oh, yes. Some news to talk about on this front. But I will let Phil tells us what he heard from Alex...!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Yep that sounds like fun! I'm really, really liking the this sort of formula: a LWF in the manuals, with software for the E-gas. The GT3 TB works great for response too. That's about all she wrote for power- not like it needs it but with a proper 91 tune you can get a good chunk. Suspension, I'd say at least the toe-steer correction in the back. For track folks or people that want more camber then the LCAs (they're a bit noisy). Other than that? I really think a set of Pilot Sport Cups (keep the wheels stock on the Spyder or Cayman R as there's nothing better IMHO) and if your stomach can take it one of those LSDs and it's set... It's a few grand in parts/labor here but I think the car ends up having more precision, response and fun overall....
Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
The folks at Sharkworks are great. Had their center muffler bypass on my GT3. Any talk of exhaust mods for the 981?

For those considering the Guard LSD, you may also want to look into replacement of the factory components with Motorsport components - it's a lot cheaper and equal to the Guard system IMO.
Hehe thanks and glad you liked it My time with the 981 has been short thus far so I really need more

Man, it's at times like these when I wish I lived in CA!

GT LSD is pretty much as good as it gets. Very popular among trackies. I'm going there myself when my stock LSD is all used up (may already be there now!).

BTW thank you for the info on PMS part.. another interesting option.
Come out here the weather is good and so is... ? Steve fill in the blanks?

Too much fun! I'm a little beat today, and catching up with... everything (in between drives ).

Alex,
Absolutely brilliant! I'm beyond thrilled. You've unleashed what the CR should always have been... and what Porsche should have delivered.
I apologize for taking over most of your Friday - and all the time I've taken over the last year. And if you could thank Todd for the extra time and effort coming up with that 'last' tune iteration (and for his recommendation on the IPD/GT3 TB), I'd really appreciate it.
The more I drive it, the more it impresses me.

I would love to see how much time this single mod would save on track - it's hard to imagine it not making the single biggest impact, based on what I've seen and felt, already. (Joe and Vetman - you need this - ask Alex)
Thank you, Alex. You and Dan and James are amazing and I can't say how much I appreciate everything you've done (not to mention that ride in the 3.9 rocketship!), as well listening to me and not thinking I'm (too) crazy.

Now - I have to go for another drive!
Please do go for more drives! Keep me posted I really hope this one is a keeper for ya. I had a LOT of fun tweaking/testing and ahem.. driving:P It honestly would absolutely destroy my 06 RS350 Cayman that took two years to get right. No question it's a butt-kicker!

Originally Posted by lithium1330
great pictures and sounds like a fun gtg. Thanks for sharing. i need to have a more serious talk with my mgmt about reloc to the bay area. :-/
Yes just remember it's all about the weather:P
Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Joe needs to accelerate his ability to make money. LOL
We need RL'er to break some ankles and get them to you?
It's for science!

Supposedly it's weaker than the LSD placed in the manual transmissions.

How often should we be changing the transmission and diff fluid in these cars that are being tracked?
Ouch! Weaker... how about the locking percentages? Maybe they are better, and that's Ben's speed secret?

Last edited by stevecolletti; 03-11-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

It's always fun meeting Rl'ers, but visiting is a lot cheaper than relocating, especially from FL, where there is no state income tax. You can visit (multiple times a year) in first class and it will still be a lot less expensive.

Oh, and no 93-octane gas, either - but you'll pay more for 91-octane than you do now.
whole heartedly agreed steve. while grass can be greener on the other side. some times the decision is not so easy. i think few here would give up the fantastic roads in cali... for flat, straight roads & 9% bump in income in S. FL.

hopefully i'll align one of my upcoming business trips with a RL gtg.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

We need RL'er to break some ankles and get them to you?
It's for science
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote trimalleolar fracture, let's see what you got now Jester!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car sounds like it's way sorted now.
nice one, steve!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

how about a GTG next year during Parade, I plan to be in town with the Spyder

Perhaps we'll do it again next year at Shark Werks. Suggested to Alex Ross that he host a tech session at his shop NEXT Spring to explain modifications he would recommend on 987/991 Boxsters, Caymans, Spyders & Cayman R's! We can make this an informal annual event & review latest on mods for these specific models! Let's see if Sharky bites (pardon the pun) on this idea!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year we had more time to plan the Fremont event and we had in attendance Joe (OrthoJoe), Ben (Bensf), Ian (Schmidts Cat), Phil (redyps), plus one/two others, besides me & Steve.
Sorry I couldn't make it this time around sounds like you guys had a great time again. 2slow2speed was one of the other participants last year.

Ben? Is this what you need to get sub 2:00 times at Thill?
That and more talent. I'm not sure how much time it would shave off since I have never owned a car with a proper LSD but it's got to help. Maybe I can get close with just stickier tires but I don't think I can get below 2:00. Hmm, stickier tires + LSD?

Calling Ben... Ben... anyone? anyone?

Perhaps this could be my secret weapon that gets me closer to Ben's laptimes.... sshhhhhh. How much does one of these LSDs cost? Maybe I'll put it in the 'budget' for next year since the PCCB conversion will eat up this year's budget.
Lol, you're a great driver. You don't need a secret weapon just more seat time.

Oh, I forgot: Guard is/was working on LSD for PDK.

After declining to do so after some had asked, why the change? I'm told that an un-named race team is funding the entire R&D because they want to race a MT 991, and 991 MT is pretty much a PDK with a manual shifter. It appears to me that it's not ready yet for general sale?
I inquired 1.5 to 2 years ago and they had no intention of supporting PDK. They said that the predicted number of sales couldn't justify the R&D cost. Given your information and also considering that PDK is the way Porsche is heading (991 GT3 is PDK only) I don't think they had a choice but to develop one.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lithium1330
whole heartedly agreed steve. while grass can be greener on the other side. some times the decision is not so easy. i think few here would give up the fantastic roads in cali... for flat, straight roads & 9% bump in income in S. FL.

hopefully i'll align one of my upcoming business trips with a RL gtg.
If you own a Porsche, odds are its a 10+% bump in income, not counting FL's other tax savings.

Kali used to have a lot of fantastic roads, but then the state stopped maintaining them. But, I guess with traffic and enforcement so high, it doesn't make as much difference as it would have a decade ago.

BTW, I've never been anywhere else that seems to have more track events than FL... I guess it makes up for your straight flat roads. Whereabouts are you?

Originally Posted by sharkster
Yep that sounds like fun! I'm really, really liking the this sort of formula: a LWF in the manuals, with software for the E-gas. The GT3 TB works great for response too. That's about all she wrote for power- not like it needs it but with a proper 91 tune you can get a good chunk. Suspension, I'd say at least the toe-steer correction in the back. For track folks or people that want more camber then the LCAs (they're a bit noisy). Other than that? I really think a set of Pilot Sport Cups (keep the wheels stock on the Spyder or Cayman R as there's nothing better IMHO) and if your stomach can take it one of those LSDs and it's set... It's a few grand in parts/labor here but I think the car ends up having more precision, response and fun overall....

Come out here the weather is good and so is... ? Steve fill in the blanks?

Please do go for more drives! Keep me posted I really hope this one is a keeper for ya. I had a LOT of fun tweaking/testing and ahem.. driving:P It honestly would absolutely destroy my 06 RS350 Cayman that took two years to get right. No question it's a butt-kicker!
Still enjoying the heck out of the car. I wouldn't change a thing. I can't imagine ever letting her go. Besides, the 991 'GT3' engine needs a mid-engine home.

We have to get Pete Stout to drive it.

Originally Posted by sharkster
Yes just remember it's all about the weather:P
At times I feel like I'm paying for the weather by the step.

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
car sounds like it's way sorted now.
nice one, steve!
I can only take some of the credit. Sharkwerks, Evoms, GT Gears and RL'ers passing on their experiences all helped make this happen. But, yes, I'm loving it. So many articles seemed to doubt the CR - and its potential. That's where I'm glad to be right!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using my GT LSD in my race car for 8+ years..... Never an issue- It just keeps chugging along. Matt is a great resource too.

Quick Reply: Spyder/Cayman R Get Together at Shark Werks today!