Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder - to mod or not to mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 AM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Spyder - to mod or not to mod

Hi Guys,

Quick thought question for you - I have a 2011 Spyder that I love. Black, 6-speed, sport buckets, alcantara accents. The thing is awesome. It's also extremely low miles (~700).

The question is I've been getting the itch to mod it. I've been thinking about the full TPC JRZ RS1 suspension setup. However I start to worry about it impacting the drivability or residual value since it's somewhat rare. Any thoughts on whether I should mod it or stick to modding the race car?

I already own a full race car track car, but it's only really usable at the track, so it's a different animal. I'm hoping it will keep me from going too crazy with the Spyder, however.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:43 AM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quickone,
Keep it pure and drive it more.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by pjmachineco
Quickone,
Keep it pure and drive it more.
+1
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree drive it more. That said, I have installed two "mods" in my Spyder. First, a fire bottle mount in front of the drivers sport bucket seat. Second, I moved the sport chrono clock and replaced it with an oil pressure gauge in the pod. I carefully wrapped the clock an tie wrapped it inside the dash. Nice to know what the oil pressure is.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

What don't you like about the car that you want to change? Probably hard to tell in only 700 miles. It's not even broken in yet!

Personally, I'd leave it stock for a while. Then, if you notice a deficiency, make plans to improve it. Modding something just for the sake of modding it doesn't make sense to me.

I owned a Spyder for a while - perhaps the perfect sports car. All I did was address the mushy brake pedal - GT3 master cylinder, stainless lines, and high-temp brake fluid.

Then I decided I would prefer a roof over my head and now have a Cayman R. Again, I've improved the brakes. I've also added a fire extinguisher and Rennline track mat on the drivers side. And I've switched to 18" wheels for better tire selection and less expensive rubber. If I do anything else, it would be a roll cage and harnesses.

Since you have a dedicated track car, that should fulfill your need to tinker. I'd leave the Spyder alone.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

No LCA's, Bill?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about buying a Boxster S and adding, headers, exhaust, underpulley, wheels, seats, then I decided to buy all that performance from the factory and found my Spyder. I think it's fine if someone wants to mod their car, I just think to do so and add that cost in as an increase in the value of the vehicle is "beyond wildly optimistic and venturing into the land of cuckoo". I put thousands into a house and the stingy buyers don't even want to concede to common sense upgrades like new HVAC, if you're going to mod for you go for it, if you do it to make money the next guy has to have the exact same car vision as you.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Well, it wasn't a mod just for modding, I just prefer a sharper and stiffer suspension. I have also been thinking of taking it to the track (something a little simpler than my race car), but I'm a little worried about beating it up. My race car takes quite a beating at the track.

Mostly the mods are to tighten it up on the street, since it doesn't get driven all that much (a byproduct of my constant-travel lifestyle)
Old 03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No LCA's, Bill?
No. Still the stock set up. No abnormal tire wear, except with NT01's. However, they were so stinking loud on the street and lasted about 1/2 as long as RE-11's. So, no more R-comps for a while. Now, if I get an Alfa 4c and make the Cayman more track focused. . .
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

You don't like the howling sound the NT01s make? LOL. I wonder if they'll be making the new BFG Gforce rival tires in sizes for us?

4C is nice, but I'd still rather have your CR over the 4C.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickOne
Hi Guys,

Quick thought question for you - I have a 2011 Spyder that I love. Black, 6-speed, sport buckets, alcantara accents. The thing is awesome. It's also extremely low miles (~700).

The question is I've been getting the itch to mod it. I've been thinking about the full TPC JRZ RS1 suspension setup. However I start to worry about it impacting the drivability or residual value since it's somewhat rare. Any thoughts on whether I should mod it or stick to modding the race car?

I already own a full race car track car, but it's only really usable at the track, so it's a different animal. I'm hoping it will keep me from going too crazy with the Spyder, however.
I also vote for driving it more, but we all have different lifestyles and preferences.

If you want to stiffen up the Spyder suspension for the street, I vote for H&R lowering springs or Bilstein PSS9. PSS9 because of lower cost than JRZ. Why pay for TPC JRZ when it won't be tracked and doesn't see many miles? My 2 cents.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
No. Still the stock set up. No abnormal tire wear, except with NT01's. However, they were so stinking loud on the street and lasted about 1/2 as long as RE-11's. So, no more R-comps for a while. Now, if I get an Alfa 4c and make the Cayman more track focused. . .
Not a fan of the gopher face on recent Alfas. However, I'm just glad Bill has kept the CR for this long! And will continue to keep.... right?

p.s. Oh, and you should get RSS LCAs for the front, Bill. Not only do they preserve tires but help with turn in!

Last edited by the_vetman; 03-08-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickOne
Well, it wasn't a mod just for modding, I just prefer a sharper and stiffer suspension. I have also been thinking of taking it to the track (something a little simpler than my race car), but I'm a little worried about beating it up. My race car takes quite a beating at the track.

Mostly the mods are to tighten it up on the street, since it doesn't get driven all that much (a byproduct of my constant-travel lifestyle)
Well if it's like mine, wearing bedroom slippers masquerading as Potenza tires, the first thing to do to tighten mine up will be to put better rubber on it.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
QuickOne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I also vote for driving it more, but we all have different lifestyles and preferences.

If you want to stiffen up the Spyder suspension for the street, I vote for H&R lowering springs or Bilstein PSS9. PSS9 because of lower cost than JRZ. Why pay for TPC JRZ when it won't be tracked and doesn't see many miles? My 2 cents.
The PSS9's are nice, but I have a passion for the race-bred hardware. And I don't know if it will never see the track - just won't see it as much as my race car does.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Not a fan of the gopher face on recent Alfas. However, I'm just glad Bill has kept the CR for this long! And will continue to keep.... right?

p.s. Oh, and you should get RSS LCAs for the front, Bill. Not only do they preserve tires but help with turn in!
Well, I'm considering 2 options now. If I get a 991 GT3, the CR will have to go. Maybe. Alternatively, I may go for the 4c. In that case, the CR gets more track focused.

While the GT3 will likely be a phenomenal car, there are a few things I don't care for. Costing twice as much as the CR or Alfa is but one.

Quick Reply: Spyder - to mod or not to mod