Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm just telling you what I have experienced. Nothing more, nothing less. Had over 14k miles with the GT3 and only 500 with the 981. I'm sure there are smarter people than me out there with a better understanding of the differences.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I've read this observation in many magazine reviews and on various forums, but I have to admit that I find it puzzling especially when a term like "electric steering" is used. That term would clearly indicate that you believe the 981 has a steering by wire setup.
The steering system in the 981 and 987 are identical with the exception of how power steering is supplied. In the 981 the hydraulic pump is replaced by an electric motor. So there is no longer a power steering pump connected to the crankshaft in a 981. Other than that the steering shaft is connected into a steering rack that goes out to ball joints and knuckles in both the 987 and 981.
Good description of the new system vs old. Hard to believe you could really feel the difference but many people say they can.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
Good description of the new system vs old. Hard to believe you could really feel the difference but many people say they can.
Mine isn't an apples to apples comparison but I did also note that the 981 didn't transmit the same level of road feel as the Spyder. Specifically I compared my Spyder to a 981S and there was a distinct difference in what you felt through the steering wheel. I'm not sure if sport suspension would help, that remains to be seen.

Having said that, the 981 is a fantastic car with incredible handling, plenty of power and a musical exhaust. It would definitely be at the top of my list if the Spyder didn't exist.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by meteor10
No offense to the OP in this thread since his observations are shared by so many others, but I have to wonder how many could discern a differance if the electric system were retrofitted on some 987s. The experiment would be to have six 987s: 3 retrofitted with the electric motor and 3 unchanged. Of course the drivers would not be told which were modified with the electric motor. I would love to test some of the journalists who have been the most outspoken on this issue.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
The really interesting thing is how much darker the Platinum Silver wheels are in comparison to the Platinum Silver car...
The wheels are actually the Platinum factory option color. I really like the color as it sets off the wheels from the car.
ATL: The factory has decided to call the color on these wheels 'Platinum'. But it has nothing to do with the 'Platinum Silver' exterior paint color of your vehicle. In Germany, the PAG website adds that is 'seidenglanz', which is roughly translated as 'silky'. In the US site, it's called 'semi-gloss'. There is another option, much more expensive at $1425, called 'Wheels painted in Exterior Color' that would have tried to match to your actual 'Platinum Silver' exterior.

Your 'Platinum' option only costs $845 and represents a unique color just for the wheels! It is also a 'value' (as far as Porsche prices go), hides brake dust a tad better and is a solid color (without the silver lip that some dislike)! It has only been offered on the 981 and 991, so it sets it apart!

Congratulations on your 981. I am partial to 'red' interiors (as some of you may know).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Good point and thanks, Eduardo. Don't know if anyone noticed, but, platinum silver is no longer offered on the Porsche configurator. The new color is Rhodium Silver Metallic. Has anyone seen the it?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

My 2 cents on the whole electric steering thing:

Yes, at slow speeds it does feel more numb. You can't feel every rock/pebble you run over. The steering wheel is easier to turn when you are at a standstill too.

However, once the car is up to speed I can't tell the difference. I certainly didn't notice it at the track with my BRZ, and when I drove my friend's 981 through a mountain run.

If steering feel is important at standstill and slow speeds, then it might bother you. Although, I can't see why that would....?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Deleted. Spammer post removed

Last edited by orthojoe; 03-04-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been reported with some frequency that the electric system does not have the same tactile feedback, I'm confident the writers were saying the same thing when manual racks were changed to power steering. Still, given that this and the start stop technology are in actuality attempts to placate cafe mileage standards, I'm not enthusiastic about the technology as a steering advance.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point and thanks, Eduardo. Don't know if anyone noticed, but, platinum silver is no longer offered on the Porsche configurator. The new color is Rhodium Silver Metallic. Has anyone seen the it?
The color was just added late last week/this weekend. It's unlikely that any examples are visible yet other than color samples at a dealer, if even that
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zirrah
The color was just added late last week/this weekend. It's unlikely that any examples are visible yet other than color samples at a dealer, if even that
Guess my Platinum Silver is now a "collectable" color
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
My 2 cents on the whole electric steering thing:

Yes, at slow speeds it does feel more numb. You can't feel every rock/pebble you run over. The steering wheel is easier to turn when you are at a standstill too.

However, once the car is up to speed I can't tell the difference. I certainly didn't notice it at the track with my BRZ, and when I drove my friend's 981 through a mountain run.

If steering feel is important at standstill and slow speeds, then it might bother you. Although, I can't see why that would....?
You touched on a critical point regarding the differance at slow speeds. With the start/stop features now on Porsches, you would have a very hard time turning the steering wheel at a red light when the engine shuts off to save fuel with the old hydraulic pump. Moreover the differance you detect at slow speeds can no doubt be attributed to the linear assist provided by the electric motor compared to the progressive assist provided by the hydraulic pump.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Guess my Platinum Silver is now a "collectable" color
+1. Imagine my delight, I figure that the demise of plat silver metallic in combination with the black painted wheels, probably makes my car more valuable today than when I took delivery!

I wonder why the plat silver has been dc'd
Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Simply amazing looking, loving the color combo !! We need some pictures with the top down too
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car! Love the color combination you chose.

Quick Reply: Got it!