Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Boxster Spyder alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boxster Spyder alignment specs

I just purchased a 2012 Boxster Spyder. One of the first things that I do after buying a car, especially a sports car, is get a good alignment.

However, I could not find the alignment specs for the Spyder online. I am not going to take it to the Porsche dealer; I'm going to an independent shop. Does anyone have the specs for an alignment?

I'm not tracking the car, so I don't need to max out negative camber. However, I'd like some neg camber, with probably a little toe-in in the rear, and either 0 toe or even a slight toe-out in the front. Sound good, or will (a very small amount of) toe-out in the front cause too much instability in this car?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep
I just purchased a 2012 Boxster Spyder. One of the first things that I do after buying a car, especially a sports car, is get a good alignment.

However, I could not find the alignment specs for the Spyder online. I am not going to take it to the Porsche dealer; I'm going to an independent shop. Does anyone have the specs for an alignment?

I'm not tracking the car, so I don't need to max out negative camber. However, I'd like some neg camber, with probably a little toe-in in the rear, and either 0 toe or even a slight toe-out in the front. Sound good, or will (a very small amount of) toe-out in the front cause too much instability in this car?
If the alignment shop doesn't have the alignment settings it is imho a shop you do not want to use.

My advice is to start out the alignment set to the factory settings. The car will handle just fine, not be too darty, and tire life will be as good as it can be.

Then if you want to experiement... but just about any change you make will make the car darty/twitchy on the street and almost certainly shorten tire life.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the following settings with good results on my CR:
FRONT: -1.1* camber, zero toe (about all the camber you can get stock).
REAR: -1.4* camber, ~1/16" toe in.
Car has decent turn in, isn't twitchy, doesn't tram on rutted roads and is pretty neutral.
These are not factory specs but any good shop can set your car. Keep in mind if you use a Porsche dealership they measure in minutes and degrees vs inches and tenths of degrees (60 minutes = 1 degree).
Good Luck
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5500
I've used the following settings with good results on my CR:
FRONT: -1.1* camber, zero toe (about all the camber you can get stock).
REAR: -1.4* camber, ~1/16" toe in.
Car has decent turn in, isn't twitchy, doesn't tram on rutted roads and is pretty neutral.
These are not factory specs but any good shop can set your car. Keep in mind if you use a Porsche dealership they measure in minutes and degrees vs inches and tenths of degrees (60 minutes = 1 degree).
Good Luck
Thanks; that's just about what it came out to be.

Front: -1.0 deg camber, 0 toe, 7.8 deg caster
Rear: -1.5 deg camber, 1/16" total toe in

Took a few tries to get the steering wheel straight, but it's perfect now. I love it.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheel Enhancement would be an excellent resource for those specs. My Spyder will be getting new shoes there in a few weeks. If remember, I will post the actual factory specs.

Quick Reply: Boxster Spyder alignment specs