Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic carry tote with handles and a lid, that will fit in front trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic carry tote with handles and a lid, that will fit in front trunk

Sterilite model #1458
70QT stackable plastic tote with handles and a lid.
It fits in the front trunk perfect.
Somebody with a Porsche must have designed this thing.
Here's the catch.
K-mart is the sole distributer of this Sterilite model.
In an e-mail Sterilite has confirmed to me that this tote is being made for K-mart only.
They can not sell you one.
They will tell you of a K-mart in your area that has them.
Oh yea I paid less then $10.00 for it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know if I have the same thing or not, but I actually took various measurements of the frunk then went to Home Depot for fitment. Naturally I got the largest one that would fit (for track), but there's still a large void/room at the top. It's fine to put a tarp or other small material there, but a larger box/tupperware wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'd be interested in comparing our boxes - I'll get the same one if yours turns out to be larger. Hope to see you at the track soon! Between the box, trunk, and passenger compartment, I carry a mini-garage in the Spyder to the track!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
TimD
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 37 Posts

Home Depot has the same container here in Fl. Got one last week.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's also a Rubbermaid container that fits very nicely in our 986's front trunk (though I don't have the model # handy). We've found that you can stack 2 or 3, putting the lids on the floor first. Put the trunk stuff in the top most container. When you get to an event, you can unstack and use the others for more weather-proof storage as needed, from the rear trunk, jackets, etc.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 721 Likes on 394 Posts

I took measurements to The Container Store and found a stackable storage box that fits the front trunk. It has three compartments, so you can use just one, any two, or all three (without the top lid). There are even wheels for the bottom section if desired.

I also found an under-bed storage box that fits perfectly in the rear hatch - either behind the engine or on top of the engine cover. The elastic cargo net holds it on top of the engine cover perfectly.

The sales people were great - I found a few possible options and the woman came out to the car so I could test-fit them.

Quick Reply: Plastic carry tote with handles and a lid, that will fit in front trunk