Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 is in for recall, got a 981 6-sp loaner: impressions

Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GT3 is in for recall, got a 981 6-sp loaner: impressions

I was very surprised on Monday when I dropped off my GT3 to get the CL recall performed to get a brand new 981 Base 6-sp as a loaner car. My dealer, Boardwalk Porsche, had several issues with their 987.2 Boxsters/Coxsters being trashed, so they took them all out of the service fleet. Since then it has switched from Audi A3s, Q5s and Q7s, to Panameras and Cayennes, to current mostly VW Passats (ugh) and a couple Cayennes/Panameras. They decided to put 2 Boxsters in the service fleet and held a new 6-sp manual for me.

Car is fairly well equipped: technology package (Nav, Bose), Premium Package (heated power seats, auto temp control) and 19" Boxster S wheels. I have been driving the car and here are my honest opinions.

The good:
1. The car in Dark Blue, just looks fantastic from every angle. Porsche has simple done a great job with the exterior styling. Interior is just as attractive, except for the 2-tone accents that were an option on this particular car.
2. Handling/ride balance is greatly improved. I am in disbelief at how well is soaks up bumps. I went over a piece of pavement that had a sharp 1.25" drop and was cringed right before I hit, yet it completely soaked it up and I didn't feel it at all inside.
3. Shifter is tremendously improved. It is now very direct with none of the rubbery side to side feel of the previous 986/996/987/997 base shifters. It actually feels more direct than the previous sport shifters.
4. Leather is better than on the 987/997. They went back to a more grained leather like was used on the 986/996, which has proved more durable than the more subtle leather on the 987/997.
5. Bose stereo is really good. I have always been disappointed with the stereos in the previous 986/987, especially the Coxsters that have terrible accoustics. Never even noticed any improvement with the previous Bose systems. I am now literally shocked at the base and subwoofer feel the car has with the new Bose. So much improved that I can now really feel the music. Surround is far better with really good fill from behind.
6. It is noticeably wider with more elbow and leg clearance in the doors.
7. The new fully electric top is fantastic. Love the integrated look top down. Top up, it is one of the quietest convertibles I've ever driven. The new top definitely has better insulation.

The bad:
1. Electronic parking brakes sucks! If the car rolls even a little bit, it disengages.
2. Auto start is terrible. Don't know if it is better on the PDKs, but with the manual it starts the engine as I release the clutch pedal starting up from a stop shaking the entire car. Simple an irritating feature. I shortly figured out the "A" disables it and does keep it disabled when you shut it off and turn it back on.
3. The steering is better than in the new Carrera as it is better weighted. The problem is it is completely numb. I can never feel what the front tires are doing trough the steering wheel at all. This is really a big disappointment.
4. Shifter feel is just took light. It is very direct and throws are not that bad, it just has no resistance/feel. It is like I am moving the level, but it is not really connected to the transmission.
5. Why is there a gear indicator in the tach? It is a manual, not a PDK. As someone driving a stick for over 20 years, I simply don't see a need for this.
6. The new 2.7l engine is noticeably lower in torque/power in the mid-range where rev it on a daily basis than the old 2.9l 987.2. The 987.2 in the 4-5K range simply feels a lot faster. Torque is also extremely flat and it does not seem to pickup in power until you get above 6K rpms. Too slow for me and I would consider the S as really the base car if I were to ever consider buying one of these.
7. Center console is huge, but has only the armrest storage. I got used to keeping sunglasses in center cubby whenever I drove the previous models. Instead you get 2 door compartments. I would give up one to door compartments to storage in the center console back.

Overall, I think it is a better daily driver convertible; I just don't think when you take into account the poor steering feel and electronic parking brake that I would ever feel a need to trade a 987.2 S or Spyder to get one.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 02-01-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Overall, I think it is a better daily driver convertible; I just don't think when you take into account the poor steering feel and electronic parking brake that I would ever feel a need to trade a 987.2 S or Spyder to get one.
Thanks for the review 10 GT3! What are you thinking re: your own .2 gt3? Are you concerned with what you are hearing (the speculation) on the 991 gt3 & RS or are you going to 'trade up'?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

3. The steering is better than in the new Carrera as it is better weighted. The problem is it is completely numb. I can never feel what the front tires are doing trough the steering wheel at all. This is really a big disappointment.
yawn
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 310 Posts

Thanks for the comments, I'm looking for reasons not to buy a new 981.
I'm having trouble being patient enough to find one (correctly equipped) with 3k+ miles.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's with the OP's reference to "Coxster"....it's not really funny and it's not even clever.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It's in reference to a review that Jeremy Clarkson did on the cayman. Coupe + boxster = coxster. I thought it was funny...?

Thanks for the review, OP.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 10 Gt3,

Thanks for the review..I will do the same one too - I mean test the new boster soon. I will however take the S..owning a 997 3.8 Gt3 and 997 GT2...a normal boxster with 260HP would probably come as a huge disappintment. I will report here in this thread then. Given the fact that I already own two 911s, a 991 would not be the right choice anyway..and I dont like certain things about it either.

Realistically, I´ll probably wait one more year..to get one of the first used 981s ones..alternativelly, the boxster syder, or cayman r are an option..but since I have already "two extreme" cars..something dd is probably better..but for that I still have an audi too..

thanks,
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After spending another day with the Boxster (picked the GT3 back up yesterday) I figured what it was that was bugging me about the Boxster shifter. My comments above about it being the lightness is not very correct. It really comes down to a simple question, is the shifter actually linked to the transaxle or is it just a mechanical device with sensors? What I finally realized is the shifter in no way shape or form, feels like it is directly linked to the transaxle. When you touch the lever, you can't feel any resistance from a shift cable or linkage in the transaxle. You also can't feel any drivetrain vibration in the shift lever. The gates are very direct and well define, like they are actually built into the shifter. Yet despite shorter throws than the old 987 shifter; it is significantly lighter and there is absolutely 0 notchiness. So, I would like to ask the question here. Is there actually no mechanical linkage between the shift lever and the transaxle, i.e. shift-by-wire? If so, this explains why the manual cars have the gear indicator in the dash.

Originally Posted by Z356
Thanks for the review 10 GT3! What are you thinking re: your own .2 gt3? Are you concerned with what you are hearing (the speculation) on the 991 gt3 & RS or are you going to 'trade up'?

Saludos,
Eduardo
If Porsche does not put the 9A1 engine and 7-sp manual in the race cars, then why should we have confidence in having them in a GT3? If I buy another one after this one, it will need to have what they race.

Originally Posted by VGM911
What's with the OP's reference to "Coxster"....it's not really funny and it's not even clever.
Orthojoe has it right. Coxster = Coupe-Boxster. That is simply what it is. I personally have been calling this model a "Coxster" since it came out and have years of posts on these forums where I've referred to them as such. Nothing new here.

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Thanks for the comments, I'm looking for reasons not to buy a new 981.
I'm having trouble being patient enough to find one (correctly equipped) with 3k+ miles.
If I were seriously thinking about spending my money on one of these cars, what matters most to me is what the car does from the driver's seat. Now taking the exterior appearance away, my choice is very clear: a 6-sp 987.2 Boxster Spyder. The problem with the 981 Boxster is that it is such a beautiful car from ever angle enticing you to want it. To me it is the best looking Porsche model ever created in Stuttgart. In the end, you need to drive one and make your own decision.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 02-02-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I refer to my 981 as a Cayman S Cabriolet!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I refer to my 981 as a Cayman S Cabriolet!
Why??
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I've driven the 991 but not the 981. I'll stop by the dealership soon and take one for a spin.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

After spending another day with the Boxster (picked the GT3 back up yesterday) I figured what it was that was bugging me about the Boxster shifter. My comments above about it being the lightness is not very correct. It really comes down to a simple question, is the shifter actually linked to the transaxle or is it just a mechanical device with sensors? What I finally realized is the shifter in no way shape or form, feels like it is directly linked to the transaxle. When you touch the lever, you can't feel any resistance from a shift cable or linkage in the transaxle. You also can't feel any drivetrain vibration in the shift lever. The gates are very direct and well define, like they are actually built into the shifter. Yet despite shorter throws than the old 987 shifter; it is significantly lighter and there is absolutely 0 notchiness. So, I would like to ask the question here. Is there actually no mechanical linkage between the shift lever and the transaxle, i.e. shift-by-wire? If so, this explains why the manual cars have the gear indicator in the dash.

If Porsche does not put the 9A1 engine and 7-sp manual in the race cars, then why should we have confidence in having them in a GT3? If I buy another one after this one, it will need to have what they race.

Orthojoe has it right. Coxster = Coupe-Boxster. That is simply what it is. I personally have been calling this model a "Coxster" since it came out and have years of posts on these forums where I've referred to them as such. Nothing new here.

If I were seriously thinking about spending my money on one of these cars, what matters most to me is what the car does from the driver's seat. Now taking the exterior appearance away, my choice is very clear: a 6-sp 987.2 Boxster Spyder. The problem with the 981 Boxster is that it is such a beautiful car from ever angle enticing you to want it. To me it is the best looking Porsche model ever created in Stuttgart. In the end, you need to drive one and make your own decision.
Your comment about the shifter is interesting. I was told by the saleseman on several ocassions that the shifter on the 981 is the same as the 991 which means it's a PDK box with manual shift capability. Judging by your experience this may be very true.

If this is true the downsides include inability to repair the gearbox and added weight. Anyone know for certain what gearbox is used?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

All the reviews and tech information clearly state the opposite. The 6 speed in the 981 is the old Getrag 6 speed not the 911 tranny.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
All the reviews and tech information clearly state the opposite. The 6 speed in the 981 is the old Getrag 6 speed not the 911 tranny.
I agree - I've heard the same. It was even told to me as a 'selling point' - you have more freedom with 981 shifter whereas 991 shifter you have to go through each gear (no 6th to 4th, for example).

Afshin, I believe your salesman may be wrong on this.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I also drove a base PDK boxer while my GT3 was in for service. The auto start is terrible and I predict it will be removed shortly. On the PDK when you come to a stop the engine shuts down. When you let off the brake it restarts. I need to briskly cross a busy highway, i move up to get ready to cross and the engine engine stops. Now I need to go quickly and it coughed during a restart and I was almost in an accident. This auto start feature is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I bet they eliminate this feature before the model year is over. I can't imagine an engine that restarts after every stop will last long. I am sure starter motor will be wear item as well. The car has a bunch of price point plastic interior and exterior parts as well. Not impressed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 is in for recall, got a 981 6-sp loaner: impressions