Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987S vs. 981 Base

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 987S vs. 981 Base

Firstly - hello all. I've been lurking for a while having been a BMW nut for the last few years, but it's time for me to graduate to Porsche. This forum is terrific!

I recently sold a Z4 Coupe - it was the 255hp 3.0si version with 6-speed manual. I loved that car, it had decent low-down torque but over time I became disappointed with how it ran out of breath at the top of the rev range, so it was time to move on. In the meantime my buddy bought a Cayman and it's mid-engine handling had me at hello.

Now, here I sit with a budget of $50k. I could spend more, but don't want to - at least not while I have a mortgage. I started out by shopping for 2009 and newer Boxster S models. These can be had nicely specced for well under my budget and they come with CPO for peace of mind. In my 2-3 weeks of shopping I have seen a couple of Base 981's - they were apparently traded for 911's.

Now to me, the 981 is a visual stunner. Porsche has really done a superb job of giving the Boxster it's own identity. The looks and interior of this car are really quite a step up from the 987S. Problem is, with my budget, the engine is not. I haven't driven the base yet, but I'm worried that like my Z4 as time goes on, the 265HP won't cut it.

The 981 looks the business but the 987S has the engine that I would want.

--

It's a high class problem I know, but I'm getting really confused by it all. In short, 981 Newness and Beauty vs. 987S Power? It could be that the car that I really want is the 981S. It's just they can't be had for around $50k right now and having sold my Z4 - I'm really missing having a fun car to drive on weekends!

I'm just seeking some opinions - especially from those who know both cars well.

----

My recently sold Z4.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want a PDK, go for the 981 base as it is much improved over the older versions.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Gruson
Instructor

The 981S hauls ***. I looked at a base 981, 981S, base 991, and 991S.

The base 981 is fun but is lacking in both low and high end torque. It's ok but compared to the S it feels really slow. Now the 981S was incredible. It felt faster than the base 991 and was just so easy to drive. Loved it. I think you would be disappointed in the base 981 compared to the 987S. That said, the interior and exterior are MUCH better with the the 981. Tough call!

Keep an eye out for deals and maybe you can get your 981S. Prices have really dropped on 2012 models over the last month I noticed.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
if you want a PDK, go for the 981 base as it is much improved over the older versions.

I've actually never driven a PDK and I was planning a 6-speed manual to be honest. I've read all the threads with the pros and cons of PDK and I still think I'd miss the 3rd pedal too much.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You kind of answered your own question with the concerns in the initial post, go for the S. Power is like bringing a hoodie on a cold day, you don't have to use it but it's sweet to have. If you do get bored with the base performance you will pay more to juice it up with aftermarket bling than to simply pay the fine folks in Germany on the front end.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gruson
The 981S hauls ***. I looked at a base 981, 981S, base 991, and 991S.

The base 981 is fun but is lacking in both low and high end torque. It's ok but compared to the S it feels really slow. Now the 981S was incredible. It felt faster than the base 991 and was just so easy to drive. Loved it. I think you would be disappointed in the base 981 compared to the 987S. That said, the interior and exterior are MUCH better with the the 981. Tough call!

Keep an eye out for deals and maybe you can get your 981S. Prices have really dropped on 2012 models over the last month I noticed.
I think that's it. The one I really want is the 981S, I just want to keep within my budget of $50k and that's not going to happen for a while. Going over $50k doesn't make sense to me. I can get a 997.2 for $50-60k - yes it's different to the Boxster, but hell, it's a 911!

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
You kind of answered your own question with the concerns in the initial post, go for the S. Power is like bringing a hoodie on a cold day, you don't have to use it but it's sweet to have. If you do get bored with the base performance you will pay more to juice it up with aftermarket bling than to simply pay the fine folks in Germany on the front end.
You're right. I guess I was secretly hoping someone would chime in in favor of the 981 base.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 574 Likes on 217 Posts

I have the 981S. The car builds speed so quickly and smoothly it's almost too easy to get up to highly illegal speeds. I have no doubt a base 981 would be a marvelous car to drive and you will likely have just as much fun and have a less likely chance of getting a ticket
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

There is a lot of truth and merit in what underblu wrote, the Spyder makes me wonder what anyone would do with more HP anywhere but on a track. He did buy an S though so I guess we are all acceleration junkies to some degree.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Gruson
Instructor

It is tough to decide. I originally wanted a 997.2 for around $60k. I then drove the newer Porsches and really want a 991 now. I've found some low mile 2012 cabs for around 90k but that's $30k more than say a 2009 911S!

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I went from a 325 HP Carrera to a 2013 Base Boxster and don't miss the extra power. As to the facts about how much faster the 981 S is than the base; 0-62 -5.1ec, base 5.8 sec. . These numbers are right out of the Porsche owners manuel. As you can see its not that much difference. It's certinally not "slow" as one poster put it. Drive them all and get what you like.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you time yourself with a stop watch out of every green light, or want to drag race everyone around you, get a 987S!
If you want the latest and greatest in handling and design, get a plain standard 981. The only extra option you need is the $800 sport seats.
If you enjoy dynamic driving, using the "best manual 6 speed gear box in the world" (Chris Harris), keeping the 2.7L in the sweet spot rev range, is more thrilling than the low end grunt of the "S" engine. The 2.7L is more free reving than its big brother, and love to rev to the 7,800 rpm limit.
The 981 Cayman has 275Hp (rather than Boxster 265Hp), so an ECU remap should get you there. If you want to get an open exhaust with more efficient headers and a better air intake, that might free up another 10Hp. With your $50k budget, you can get close to "S" performance, just do one small step at a time when youe economy allows it.
Again, just the deisgn of the new 981 should make it a no brainer"! The 987 is basically the same car as the the 986 Boxster introduced in 1996 (I have had a 2000 and a 2009, and they are very similar to drive), the 981 is in my opinion the best Porsche for the money!
I was at my local Porsche dealership a while back, and there was a guards red 981 non "S" side by side with a guards red 991 Cabrio non "S". The 981 was $49k and the 991 was $109k! $60k difference!!! And the Boxster looks so much better! Again, the plain standard 981 is a no brainer!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the 987S. Wait 3 years. Get a barely driven 981 S for a steep discount over new.

what's the rush... You're in a roadster that sets the bar in its class either way.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fly911
If you time yourself with a stop watch out of every green light, or want to drag race everyone around you, get a 987S!
If you want the latest and greatest in handling and design, get a plain standard 981. The only extra option you need is the $800 sport seats.
If you enjoy dynamic driving, using the "best manual 6 speed gear box in the world" (Chris Harris), keeping the 2.7L in the sweet spot rev range, is more thrilling than the low end grunt of the "S" engine. The 2.7L is more free reving than its big brother, and love to rev to the 7,800 rpm limit.
The 981 Cayman has 275Hp (rather than Boxster 265Hp), so an ECU remap should get you there. If you want to get an open exhaust with more efficient headers and a better air intake, that might free up another 10Hp. With your $50k budget, you can get close to "S" performance, just do one small step at a time when youe economy allows it.
Again, just the deisgn of the new 981 should make it a no brainer"! The 987 is basically the same car as the the 986 Boxster introduced in 1996 (I have had a 2000 and a 2009, and they are very similar to drive), the 981 is in my opinion the best Porsche for the money!
I was at my local Porsche dealership a while back, and there was a guards red 981 non "S" side by side with a guards red 991 Cabrio non "S". The 981 was $49k and the 991 was $109k! $60k difference!!! And the Boxster looks so much better! Again, the plain standard 981 is a no brainer!!!
Originally Posted by perfectlap
Get the 987S. Wait 3 years. Get a barely driven 981 S for a steep discount over new.

what's the rush... You're in a roadster that sets the bar in its class either way.
Wow! You guys couldn't be further apart! I'm leaning toward the 987S like perfectlap says I can get a 981S on the used market with CPO in a couple years. I can't bear the thought of new car depreciation on a second car while it sits in my garage for 5 days a week.

But this is a difficult choice. I'll guess I'll have to go drive them back to back and hope my gut/heart can make the choice for me because my brain sure as hell can't!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Kelderek
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gripster
But this is a difficult choice. I'll guess I'll have to go drive them back to back and hope my gut/heart can make the choice for me because my brain sure as hell can't!
Exactly... this is not a rational choice, you can never get this right with facts and figures. It's about your gut feeling.

Drive both cars and measure the grin on your face afterwards. Wider grin = the best car for you.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripster
Wow! You guys couldn't be further apart! I'm leaning toward the 987S like perfectlap says I can get a 981S on the used market with CPO in a couple years. I can't bear the thought of new car depreciation on a second car while it sits in my garage for 5 days a week.

if you test drive that 981 S. You will buy that 981 S. Those sales guys are very good at what they do and frankly selling the latest and greatest Boxster to an enthusiast isn't exactly like selling ice to an eskimo. STAY AWAY!

There's a guy in the 997 forum who is selling his car after six years with a grand total of 81 miles. Yes 81. The car has a top bluebook of low $40's and there's probably $90K into it on purchase and mods. 81 miles....
Point is there will always be Porsche people who have to have the new Porsche and then hand it off to you with barely any mileage, a warranty and a steep discount to boot. Which makes it a screaming deal. And the kicker, on the time sheets the 981 S Boxster and 991 Carrera are basically equal. Performance and value simply for waiting a couple of years. What could be better?? I certainly can't think of anything.

Quick Reply: 987S vs. 981 Base