Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987S vs. 981 Base

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:32 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
Get the 987S. Wait 3 years. Get a barely driven 981 S for a steep discount over new.

what's the rush... You're in a roadster that sets the bar in its class either way.
Now that's some good thinking and advice to consider!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM
rocat14
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, new to the forms and new to the brand, thinking of stepping into my first Porsche in the next week or so and found myself with a huge question - 987 or 981. I know this thread is a bit older, and I am very new to Porsche, but it really does seem like a complex question and I was hoping maybe I could get some input from some current day owners. I have done searches, I have read this whole thread, other threads and done a lot of research on pros for each but need input. Here is the situation:

I can buy a '14 981S for around ~62 (11k miles), well equipped only really missing the nice seats

Or, I can buy a '11 987S for ~45 (6k miles), also seems well equipped.

Both are MT, and I know the PDK is good but the third pedal is a requirement for me.

I have not yet driven a 987 but plan to soon. There seems to be a consensus that the 981S is a great car, a definite looker. And it has a lot of cool technology. I have read that it is a bit more stable, more comfortable, and easier to drive. But what it loses is the hydraulic steering, an actual hand brake and some driving sensation.

The 987 on the other hand, IMO does not look nearly as good as the 981, but I have read that it maintains driver connection better than the 981. The 987 is smaller, and I have read it feels like driving a smaller car. My research also concluded that the 987 is more raw, takes a bit more effort but the reward for driving the car is worthwhile.

The real dilemma here is the value proposition. I do* like the look of the 981 better, and the technology inside is great. The interior is beautiful and this particular one in question is very well equipped. However, I am looking at a near 20k difference in price, and my research shows that 20 grand might not be justified.

Ultimately, I would love to hear all thoughts related to this because I do not know much about the brand and some experienced owner's input could really help me here. I am leaning towards the 987 because the price point is much better, the depreciation will also be much better (seems like in 3-4 years it would still be worth 35k+). The 981 on the other hand has not yet hit the steepest depreciation and buying a low mileage 981.2 might be the answer after 3-4 years of ownership of the 987.

Last off topic question, is the CPO more piece of mind than anything else? The 2011 I believe I can get CPO'd because of the ridiculously low mileage but is it worth it? Cannot find much supporting research for that.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-23-2015, 12:11 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The 987 in a plain build is a bit much of a too pure driving experience with the carpet on the doors but no door pockets. I don't like the interior trim structure.

I agree that although the 981 exterior modifications are not extensive they have done a good job of improving the rear of the car a lot. The 986 and 987 rear looks a bit too pancaked out. Especially on silver cars.

A huge advantage of the 987 over the 981 is that the Bose upgrade in the 987 is higher quality than in the 981. In the 981 they put a simpler (and cheaper) Bose so that they can upsell to the Burmester. Problem is that practically nobody buys the Burmester in a Boxster. They also refuse to sell it without the navigation system which is a jerk move at $6700 something.

The result is that > 50% of the 987s have a great stereo and the 981 is a step back.

(counting speaker/audio quality, not additional "features" I never use)
Old 11-23-2015, 12:36 PM
rocat14
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I did not actually get a chance to listen to the stereo quality as much as I should have in the 981. The stereo is important to me, for sure, but even with a sub par stereo I think I could manage. I am not entirely sure about what the

My biggest thought here is that for ~45k, I could drive a 897 for 3-5 years. I could pocket/invest the 18 saved and then when some 981.2s come out I can snag one with CPO and low mileage.

The real question is: Is the 981 worth an extra 18k? Would it make more sense to grab a 987, drive it for some years, enjoy the rawness and then sell it for the newer 981?

I used a simple mathematical model to project the value of the 897 in question, it it looks like with 20-30k miles in 4 years it should be worth around 35+. Potentially more depending on the demand of the 987 (some purists seem to think it may be the last of its type -- totally based on research (I do not know enough to speak for it myself). I am leaning towards the 987 simply because the value just seems to be so great in comparison.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Drive them both and then decide. I think you'll pick the 981, huge improvement in the car all over.

And don't get all caught up in the 'steering feel' nonsense you read on the Internet. The 981 has great steering feel, as there's a lot more to it than just hydraulic vs. electronic. There's a great article on this very topic in the latest issue Panorama.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:06 PM
rocat14
8th Gear

That is what I have read, the 981 does seem to just make the 987 empirically better in most ways. I would love to say that price is a nonfactor -- but I think 3-5 years out normally on these kind of purchases.

My gut says that the 987 will hold value for longer, and after looking at some of the asking prices for older 30-50k Caymans, it seems like mid to high 30's is expected. Some are even in the low 40's. What do you think about buying a 987 now, and 2-3 years down the line sell it for the 981?

Note: This is not a daily driver - will probably only be taken out on weekends. I do know that the 981 is a much more livable car, but it will not be driven extensively for distances.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rocat14
Thanks for the reply. I did not actually get a chance to listen to the stereo quality as much as I should have in the 981. The stereo is important to me, for sure, but even with a sub par stereo I think I could manage. I am not entirely sure about what the

My biggest thought here is that for ~45k, I could drive a 897 for 3-5 years. I could pocket/invest the 18 saved and then when some 981.2s come out I can snag one with CPO and low mileage.

The real question is: Is the 981 worth an extra 18k? Would it make more sense to grab a 987, drive it for some years, enjoy the rawness and then sell it for the newer 981?

I used a simple mathematical model to project the value of the 897 in question, it it looks like with 20-30k miles in 4 years it should be worth around 35+. Potentially more depending on the demand of the 987 (some purists seem to think it may be the last of its type -- totally based on research (I do not know enough to speak for it myself). I am leaning towards the 987 simply because the value just seems to be so great in comparison.
I came out of a similar debate now shopping for 997s. Sure it has carpet on the doors, too, but the full leather option is worth the name and the rear isn't pancaked.

Either way (987, 997) I get to have the cool pre-burmester Bose option. An early 997 is a pretty trashy car compared to a 981, however it is great value since you get the Bose and full leather virtually for free. People simply lost that options money.

Electric support for power steering doesn't ruin cars. In the case of BMWs I think the floaty rear subframe is responsible. In the case of the 981, which doesn't drive bad anyway, there is a long wheelbase and the issue with getting the (passive) sports suspension. And the active suspension is something you shouldn't buy blind either. The MF steering wheel looks idiotic but is the only heated one you can get.

The 981 is also too expensive used for my taste. It costs almost as much as basic 991s. The reason for that, in my biased view, is that the 987 just doesn't do it for most people, whereas a lot of people consider the 991 a boat. Whatever the reason, 981 prices hurt. One way out is trying to snarf the Burmester "for free" which might give you even better sound (never listened to one, so YMMV), or get a full leather 981. But if you want an S model with sports chrono and full leather the price goes through the roof.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:44 PM
rocat14
8th Gear

I do see what you're saying. I am also thinking that if I go with the 987 for a few years, I could sell it for a 991 if I decide to become a 911 owner. For me, it makes sense to have the car at least 3 years - and it would seem like it is just better value to go for a 987. There are a few features that aren't there that I would like - and there are some compromises that I would have to make with the 987 vs the 981, but up front a savings of 18k just seems like its too much value to give up. And down the line, I could sell it for mid to high 30s and step up to a 911 or a newer 981 once the prices drop. They cost quite a pretty penny - and they it seems they are dropping about 8-10k a year at least so far so maybe waiting it out makes the most sense for the next few years.

I think in 2-3 years the 981 with low mileage should be around the low to mid 40's.

Quick Reply: 987S vs. 981 Base