Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987S vs. 981 Base

Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gfl
You cant fix bones.
? I can.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

981 will be better than the 987.
any version performance wise
there is no debate,

however, spyders and CRs are special cars that have a high degree of oneness with the driver. Something has been lost in the interface with the new chassis IMO. Some may not care, some may, some may even BS the difference. Nonetheless, it is irrefutable that the looks of the spyder is special and still unmatched by the 981 variant. Simply put, the limited nature of the spyder versus the ten of thousands of 981s out there...... To a lot of us, rarity has even more importance than the minute differences in performance or steering feel.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
? I can.

Perfect! The dream of anyone with bad fractures, an Orthopaedic who is a car enthusiast and likely mechanically minded. I'll bet your repairs are artwork, cool! I worked in that world my own self during my career.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

? I can.

I know this is , but its my thread so to heck with it.

Doc - My 911 has the GT3 seats the alcantara ones. After a 3 hr drive yesterday, my back is killing me. Any advice?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gripster

Doc - My 911 has the GT3 seats the alcantara ones. After a 3 hr drive yesterday, my back is killing me. Any advice?
If you have ongoing problems with your back this book is your friend. If it only happens when you drive in that seat that is another issue entirely.

http://www.amazon.com/Steps-Pain-Fre.../dp/0452282772

PS A strong core is good for the lower back
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, i just put the GT3 seats in my 986

I have not yet done a 3-horu drive. But i will say that when i first ptu them in, i felt that they were too low, too "fixed" etc and that i might be largely uncomfortable for commuting etc.

As i have lived with them, and learned to relax, hold the wheel a bit lower, etc, they are becoming quite comfortable. Maybe my first trip to Alton, VA or Lexington, OH will be agony, but i'd suggest playing a bit with how you place the seat and set the wheel.

The one thing that will bother me is that they confine my shoulders too much. I'm small enough to fit int he seat with room to spare, but my shoulders span across where the "wings" kick in.

You must not slouch. Sit in the very back, upright and get comfy.

Good luck.

Juts another example that a good track car is not necessarily a good street car.

Grant

Originally Posted by Gripster

Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good one!

I hope not to require your services any time soon :-)

Last year i managed to s=do a fine job on my knee skiing.

Getting old sux

Grant

? I can.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gfl
I have not yet done a 3-horu drive. But i will say that when i first ptu them in, i felt that they were too low, too "fixed" etc and that i might be largely uncomfortable for commuting etc.

As i have lived with them, and learned to relax, hold the wheel a bit lower, etc, they are becoming quite comfortable. Maybe my first trip to Alton, VA or Lexington, OH will be agony, but i'd suggest playing a bit with how you place the seat and set the wheel.

The one thing that will bother me is that they confine my shoulders too much. I'm small enough to fit int he seat with room to spare, but my shoulders span across where the "wings" kick in.

You must not slouch. Sit in the very back, upright and get comfy.

Good luck.

Juts another example that a good track car is not necessarily a good street car.

Grant
I'll play with with. I just got the car last week and other than driving home from the dealer this was my first time out. I was futzing with the seats all the way home. I think I'm spoiled by my DD (a 2006 330i) which has adjustable lumbar support and my Porsche does not. I just couldn't find a position that was quite right, but the last adjustment I made half an hour from home seemed to do the trick - it's just the backache had set in by then.

Will futz around some more...
Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Perfect! The dream of anyone with bad fractures, an Orthopaedic who is a car enthusiast and likely mechanically minded. I'll bet your repairs are artwork, cool! I worked in that world my own self during my career.
Thanks. I do like to think that my days of car projects and wrenching had a positive impact on my surgical skills.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
My understanding is that Porsche is introducing a mid engined car to be placed between the 911 and 917. It will likely cost about $140 - $190
I believe the FeFi (Ferrari Fighter) will be priced at around $250K. The various versions of the upcoming 991 gt3, gt3 RS, gt2 & gt2 RS and 'Limited Editions' will take all the 'green oxygen' out of Porsche customer's wallets holding ANYTHING between $140K & $190K! You will need deeper pockets for the 960!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11301235...ngine---report

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything I've heard on the 960 matches what Eduardo has said.

Gripster,
I too have back issues with certain seats. In my case it seems to come down to the seat base angle. I need the seat bottom to be more or less flat and level. I was able (with the 996 GT3 seats I put in my 2001 Boxster S) to loosen the front and rear seat set bolts (the ones on each side holding the seat to the metal supporting frame) and tilt the seat a couple of degrees toward level. In my case that was enough to make the back problems go away.

Personally, I like shell-type seats. Unlike the comfy versions of seats, there is no suspension per se, just foam pads which are readily replaced when they start to die (or if you need to sit higher or lower). Remanufacturing a comfy seat's suspension to original condition is an expensive proposition, and not many people can do it right. Given that it can take 10 years and/or 100K miles to for that suspension to break down, getting it repaired/replaced can be problematic.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Nonetheless, it is irrefutable that the looks of the spyder is special and still unmatched by the 981 variant."

It is refutable. I don't like the humps or the top.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
"Nonetheless, it is irrefutable that the looks of the spyder is special and still unmatched by the 981 variant."

It is refutable. I don't like the humps or the top.
Agreed. I like the Spyder, but seeing the 981 in person really did it for me. Its just a gorgeous shape.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

guys, I am happy for you that you love the 981 shape, it is definitely a step up on the 987.

"Special" means when you drive into any porsche dealership, you don't see dozens of the same car in every hue and interior............ the spyder is unmatched in its rarity and sense of occasion, it looks different- bespoke... Ever get the feeling that if every other joe has the same thing it ain't special?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I you offered me a Boxster Spyder or a 981 strictly for the track/AX ... I'm taking the 987 all day long.
The Boxster Spyder will always be the lightest, hydraulic steering, roadster with at least 300 HP. Which might make it the last great roadster.

For the ride home I'll take the 981. S model if you have it. PDK as long as the warranty is infinite.

p.s.
The 981 front end is "irrefutably" the best looking of any Porsche. Better than previous Boxsters and all the of the water-cooled Carreras. The 991 in my book barely looks like a Carrera anymore. I'd say more like a GT (ie Jaguar) than anything Steve McQueen might have driven.
The 981 rear end is growing on me. I don't care for the side intakes at all. Anything below 19" wheels don't look right on a wheel well that big -- I wish they would have designed the body for a 18" wheel. Like air-cooled Carreas, big wheels don't look right on roadsters to me.

p.s.
Fixed seats are great if you have lower backpain, no slouching -- shoulder blades are pinned. Bad if your core is not in good shape. and really tough for parallell parking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 987S vs. 981 Base