Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987S vs. 981 Base

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I'd love to see those matchups. I would expect that the differance in performance between a 981 Cayman S and a 991 coupe would be so tiny that the driver and/or car's setup would be the differance. The same applies to a 981 Boxster S and a 991 cabrio.
Yup. I agree for sure. Hopefully we'll see something like that soon. Maybe if we send Chris Harris enough emails....
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they would need a former Cup, ALMS Porsche, etc. driver to get behind the 991s. Otherwise if the 981s came out ahead we'd hear something like "if a a driver more capable of getting the most out of a rear engine Porsche were involved, the 991 would have won".
If the experienced Carrera driver still couldn't beat the mid engine drivers then there'd be no excuses from either side.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I will chime in for the 981 base, with caveats

Objectively, the 981 is a better car than the 987. Period.

But you have to trade off the basic chassis performance, for power. It depends what you want to do with the car. On the road, you don't need more power. I have a just north of 200 hp 986 base and love it. Its also an excellent AutoX car. More power simply puts you in a different class, and is not the biggest change you can make. Double lose. Tires, then suspension are more effective and cheaper.

Now, is torque fun? Sure. Does it make for a more relaxed cruiser? Sure.

For all those who will argue that a) i don't understand or b) i'm making excuses for what i have, i'll note i also have a 986S. But i don't use it for competition at the moment. Chew on that.

If power is what you crave, none of the above are the best ticket. A mustang, charger or Camaro will give you much more for much less. Or, for that matter, a used Turbo 996.

So what do you value? Either will be a blast. The fur part is driving, no one's offering you, or at least me, a Le Mans seat this year.

Grant

Originally Posted by Gripster
I think that's it. The one I really want is the 981S, I just want to keep within my budget of $50k and that's not going to happen for a while. Going over $50k doesn't make sense to me. I can get a 997.2 for $50-60k - yes it's different to the Boxster, but hell, it's a 911!

You're right. I guess I was secretly hoping someone would chime in in favor of the 981 base.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Objectively, the 981 is a better car than the 987. Period. BULLHOCKEY I think the spyder stacks up against it just fine. Spyder had input from the GT3 division in it's creation. It's lower, has a factory tuned suspension, it's at least as light as a 981, it has a small HP advantage, it does not have start stop technology, it does not have electricity used in it's steering system. And if all that isn't enough the seats in the Spyder blow away the 981. The new Boxster is a very sweet ride, no question but to bash old for new without merit is nonsense posturing.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for the continued input guy, but you may have missed Post #35. I made my choice - a 2009 911.

Originally Posted by gfl
Objectively, the 981 is a better car than the 987. Period.

But you have to trade off the basic chassis performance, for power. It depends what you want to do with the car. On the road, you don't need more power. I have a just north of 200 hp 986 base and love it. Its also an excellent AutoX car. More power simply puts you in a different class, and is not the biggest change you can make. Double lose. Tires, then suspension are more effective and cheaper.

Now, is torque fun? Sure. Does it make for a more relaxed cruiser? Sure.

For all those who will argue that a) i don't understand or b) i'm making excuses for what i have, i'll note i also have a 986S. But i don't use it for competition at the moment. Chew on that.

If power is what you crave, none of the above are the best ticket. A mustang, charger or Camaro will give you much more for much less. Or, for that matter, a used Turbo 996.

So what do you value? Either will be a blast. The fur part is driving, no one's offering you, or at least me, a Le Mans seat this year.

Grant
Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Objectively, the 981 is a better car than the 987. Period. BULLHOCKEY I think the spyder stacks up against it just fine. Spyder had input from the GT3 division in it's creation. It's lower, has a factory tuned suspension, it's at least as light as a 981, it has a small HP advantage, it does not have start stop technology, it does not have electricity used in it's steering system. And if all that isn't enough the seats in the Spyder blow away the 981. The new Boxster is a very sweet ride, no question but to bash old for new without merit is nonsense posturing.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the continued input guy, but you may have missed Post #35. I made my choice - a 2009 911.
Doesn't mean that the debate can't continue regardless.
:eating popcorn:
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Doesn't mean that the debate can't continue regardless.
:eating popcorn:
Totally agree. It's a great conversation - keep it going. It's just too late for me to take any advice offered.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Whatever you said in post 35 doesn't mean the validity of your words in a subsequent post cannot be challenged, at least as far as I know, I didn't read every rule before joining.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Whatever you said in post 35 doesn't mean the validity of your words in a subsequent post cannot be challenged, at least as far as I know, I didn't read every rule before joining.
Gosh. I didn't mean it that way at all. I just meant that my original question about which car to buy is now moot. I ended up buying a 911 instead of a 981 or a 987S.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Gosh. I didn't mean it that way at all. I just meant that my original question about which car to buy is now moot. I ended up buying a 911 instead of a 981 or a 987S.
I wasn't trying to be combative either, the 981 is a great car, no question. I'm quite sure the 911 you ended up with is sweet too, they're Porsche cars, what's not to love other than service bills?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 PM
gfl
Racer

Default The chassis rigidity and suspension geometry are substantially better.

You cant fix bones. The numbers are there, nearly every major, respected journalist and racer who's driven it has reported the same. I drove it ont he track (courtesy or Porsche) and agree (was a 981S) - the car is a significant step forward, whereas the 987 is based more closely on the 986.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd buy a 10 y.o. 986 or S and move on, the driving's the thing and it still stomps most competitors. But i don't think the 987 is fundamentally in the same league.

Let's ignore model variants. They were not the question, and dont change the basics. Its the basic geometry, stiffness, etc of the new car. Oh, and the new tranny (both are basically the same, one has e-control and one a lever) is, IMO, significantly better than the 987/997 6-speed box.

Grant

Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Let's ignore model variants, mkay, let's just pretend some other manufacturer made them or ignore that they exist at all if it screws with your hypothesis.

PS The Spyder is lower and stiffer, I also owned a 986 and the spyder isn't like it at all and that statement is not an insult to the spyder. To each their own boys, to cherry out a 981 with the same options sans carbon fiber seats comes to far more than I paid, I'll take the slightly bigger motor, and the "sloppy 987 pinto suspension" that keeps me leagues apart from a 981 or whatever you mean.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I think they would need a former Cup, ALMS Porsche, etc. driver to get behind the 991s. Otherwise if the 981s came out ahead we'd hear something like "if a a driver more capable of getting the most out of a rear engine Porsche were involved, the 991 would have won".
If the experienced Carrera driver still couldn't beat the mid engine drivers then there'd be no excuses from either side.
I don't believe that Porsche would welcome that comparison. Don't you think that the 911(991) mystique would be tranished if a Cayman outperformed it?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM
gfl
Racer

Default ok, but the question was gen 2 boxster vs gen 3

not vs 991/ 911

Maybe i'm missing some context here (wasnt kawf great?), but comments seem all over the map.

For the record, i've driven (others's) 991s and 981s and been mighty impressed.

And there have been quite a few reports recently that the artificial suppression of the mid-engine chassis is about to end.

We shall see

G

Originally Posted by fast1
I don't believe that Porsche would welcome that comparison. Don't you think that the 911(991) mystique would be tranished if a Cayman outperformed it?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by gfl
not vs 991/ 911

Maybe i'm missing some context here (wasnt kawf great?), but comments seem all over the map.

For the record, i've driven (others's) 991s and 981s and been mighty impressed.

And there have been quite a few reports recently that the artificial suppression of the mid-engine chassis is about to end.

We shall see

G
My understanding is that Porsche is introducing a mid engined car to be placed between the 911 and 917. It will likely cost about $140 - $190

Quick Reply: 987S vs. 981 Base