Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Boxster S Engine Failed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Times and corporate policies change, but in 2008 I negotiated with my local dealer and PCNA to have them buy back my 2007 GT3 that had been in the shop of a total of 14 weeks in the 11 months I owned it. Te reason was a rear main seal leak that they could not stop. the engine had been removed four times for seal replacement. My dealer went to bat for me which helped. I replaced it with a custom order '09 C2S that has been great. Good luck, be factual not emotional and you will have a better outcome. By the way I still miss the GT3
I had the identical problem on my 2007 GT3. 4 RMS replacements in 5 months and 2500 miles. The dealer offered a new engine and said if I really pushed the issue Porsche would probably buy the car back. I ended up selling the car to another dealer and moved on.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Lexz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't this the same engine as in a 991?

Isn't the 3.4 liter engine in a S the same engine, just slightly retuned, that sits in a 991? If so, one would think that if this was a wider issue such as the engines on the 996 ( I owned a '99 for five years and had no engine problems ) we should hear of issues on the 991 board ?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Sucks for sure, but you won't be getting a new car unless your state's lemon law warrants it. A lawyer will get you nowhere; Porsche is abiding by the warranty.

Neither the dealer nor PCNA are obligated to compensate you for your inconvenience, however providing the CPO warranty would be a very nice gesture. Having just returned from a Porsche dealer 5 minutes ago to inquire about the cost of CPO, I can tell you it is a $2,400 value.

For what it's worth, the Tiptronic transmission on my early 997 failed at 6-7k miles. Same basic drivetrain as the 996, so it should have been well tested. A recall followed. I was given a Chrysler Sebring with 60k miles on it to drive for 3 weeks. Haven't been back to that dealer for service of any Porsches since.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

I recently had a similar experience with my spouse's '11 Panamera v6. While out of town the car developed a 2 oil leaks and a coolant failure and dumped all of its coolant into the engine block. My wife called me and I told her to take it to the dealer immediately. Upon further examination it seems that both the oil vacuum pump failed and the oil lines also after/during/before the coolant pump and temp control/thermostat also went south! Dealership told me the car wasn't CPO'd as I thought it was from my purchase at a previous dealer! Car was bought w/9k on it and had undergone a CPO inspection just not the rest of the paperwork filed w/PCNA.

I contacted PCNA and expressed my displeasure at having an engine fail on me with only 3k miles put on it since purchase as well as my serious misgiving letting my family ride in the repaired vehicle without some sort of assurance that the car wouldn't grenade on me again. PCNA repaired the car under warranty (not sure if I got a new engine or a re-manufacturer one) and when I pressed warrantied the car up to 100k/6yrs from the date of repair for me. Also gave em a $1k voucher to use as I like at any Porsche dealership too. I considered it fair and so far the car has been solid without any issues. Granted this is like my 7th Porsche purchased (1 996, 1 997.1, 2 997.2, 1 987, 1 Cayenne, 1 Panamera) so like others have said loyalty and being a repeat customer surely helped with the good will repair. But it doesn't hurt to ask..however I doubt seriously PCNA will give you a new car out of it all...even with a lawyer as they've already done the new engine IMHO. But do document and send them the facts...try not to be emotional about it (hard to do with these cars and the amt spend on them) and hopefully you'll do fine.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
Is this a 9A1 based engine? I thought this problem would be handled by now!

agvaldes - sorry to hear bout the failure... I know I would be sick.
This is the real issue here. What is the root cause of the 9A1 engine failure?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:07 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have been surprised if they didn't send you a brand new engine. A failure at only 2K miles sounds to me like something they'd be eager to put under the microscope. If they figure out there's an assembly line issue I'm sure they'll want to get the jump on contacting the 981 owners before they angrily contact them about their busted engines. The last thing they need during the Twitter/Facebook age is bad engine PR on a brand new model.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 AM
agvaldes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my slightly used new car back with a new engine. So far everything seems okay. It only has 60 miles now but plan to put a lot of miles on this weekend very gently. I keep listening for noises!

Haven't heard anything from Porsche but I wanted my car back and didn't want to wait Have to thank Doug Parmon at Champion Motors for the quick turnaround. I attached a picture of the engine still on the crate that Doug sent me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Agvaldes, I'd highly recommend you do an early oil & filter change in about 1,000 miles. Pull an oil sample and send to Blackstone, and start data logging your UOA's.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

So what was they cause of failure. I am guessing scored cylinder?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM
MikenOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
Agvaldes, I'd highly recommend you do an early oil & filter change in about 1,000 miles. Pull an oil sample and send to Blackstone, and start data logging your UOA's.
+1; also--get a wav. file of your engine when new (I'm assuming it won't have any alarming mechanical noises). I'd appreciate a copy of it if you record it.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by jumper5836
So what was they cause of failure. I am guessing scored cylinder?
I don't think the OP knows. And I doubt Porsche will be telling anyone either, after the autopsy.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont sweat it. It wont impact resale if you decide to keep it. Otherwise start the timing for lemon law replacement or ask the dealer to swap you into a new one if you really don't want your car back.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The numbers from that 1st oil UOA would send the OP into a panic. The oil will be laden with "wear" metals. In fact odds are he'll see the stuff as the filter housing oil will have a metallic sheen to it.

To the OP: Change the oil/filter early unless this is forbidden by the conditions of the engine replacement. Treat it like what it is a new engine. I changed the oil/filter in my new 08 Cayman S at 750 and when I did I wished I had changed it at 500 miles or even 250 miles but I never was out of it long enough.

Then relax. Break in then engine like you are supposed to and years from now when you hand the keys over to a great grand child you can tell her the story of how the engine failed way back when cars needed roads to get around.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by agvaldes
Got my slightly used new car back with a new engine. So far everything seems okay. It only has 60 miles now but plan to put a lot of miles on this weekend very gently. I keep listening for noises!

Haven't heard anything from Porsche but I wanted my car back and didn't want to wait Have to thank Doug Parmon at Champion Motors for the quick turnaround. I attached a picture of the engine still on the crate that Doug sent me.
Very interesting that the shipping fixture has a provision for both the 981 and 991 engines ... this does not bode well for the new design
Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
The numbers from that 1st oil UOA would send the OP into a panic.
No it won't. We've seen UOA's on new (<2,000 miles) engines here. No biggy.

Quick Reply: 2013 Boxster S Engine Failed!!