Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Boxster S Engine Failed!!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Agvaldes, great looking Boxster! Sorry this happened to you.

Porsche is NOT going to take the car back, unless you can make a case under a "Lemon Law".

Get the engine replaced, and enjoy your new Porsche. I'd press the dealership and PCNA to give you an extended warranty. That's about the best your going to do at this point.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Alright, help me understand...

Your engine failed. Not a complete failure yet but cylinder scoring, bad lifter(s), or such. Porsche is replacing the entire engine under warranty.

So what's the problem???

Lemon law? No way, Jose, unless this and subsequent engines fail again and again. f4 Pilot's case is different and qualifies because it was repeated problems that could not get fixed (within a reasonable number of attempts).

Unless a good-will exception is made by PCNA or your dealer, there's no way this qualifies as a lemon law case. Oh, and Eduardo is exactly right. They'll give you a new engine and will have the current engine overnighted back to Germany.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A fine looking car though. GL
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 AM
agvaldes
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I am going to ask my service guy to send me a picture of the engine when in arrives still on its crate just so that I can see what a "long block" really entails.

I am going to press them for an extended warranty for now and see how the car is when I get it back. The porsche rep that I spoke to seemed amenable to that idea. However I want to keep my options open for further actions if I accept the car.

I had the front of the car wrapped in 3M protective shield as soon as it was delivered and don't want to pay for that again. Also the three month wait for a new one would be hard. I already missed a drive to the Keys for brunch with the local PCA club yesterday with over 70 other Porsches. It was 75 degrees yesterday. I didn't want to do that with the loaner Cayenne.

I will post an update once I get my car back
Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The only concern I would have is resale. Anyone know if a new engine will have any affect on resale?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The only concern I would have is resale. Anyone know if a new engine will have any affect on resale?
Excellent question.

Properly documented, as Agvaldes' case will be, I see no issues.

And in some properly documentated cases, say a Porsche with miles on it, It would actually add value to the car, in my mind & opinion. Imagine getting a 50,000 mile Boxster, with a properly document engine replacement from Porsche at 20,000 miles ago. Just a hypathetical example.

The key is "proper documentation".
Old 01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
"Long block" means different things to different people, but what it reads like is you are getting a complete new or remanufactured engine.
I would NOT be happy with a NEW car and REMENUFACTURED engine! A NEW car should have a NEW engine or stick to your guns for a NEW CAR! Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM
MikenOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I listened to the OP's wav. file on the noise and it sounded identical to the lifter noise I had on our 06 987. That came and went but was especially loud on startup after a long period of non-use; after I changed to Castrol/Lubro Moly I didn't hear it very often.

If that's what is going on, I'm surprised they pulled the motor, unless they had other data indicating engine problems or metal in the oil filter. I complained about this several times and could rarely get it to coincide with trip to the dealer.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
agvaldes
AutoX

Update

I spoke my service advisor and he assured me that I was getting a Crate Engine. A complete new engine minus the a/c compressor which will be taken off the failed engine. He is going to send me pictures when it arrives.

I feel a lot better now. I will still try to get some kind of extended warranty since this will not cost them anything unless it breaks again after four years. Even if it is just extended for the engine only, it would be nice.

Armando
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
agvaldes
AutoX

For MikenOH

There were metal fragments in the filter and oil.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Impossible to say for sure, but probably not much if any...

These are not cars which will have their future value impacted by non-matching car/engine numbers.

Also, as long as the owner has the paperwork that shows the engine was replaced through no fault of his own that answers the questions about why the engine was replaced.

When it comes time to sell the car if it becomes time to sell the car most used car buyers are more concerned about price and condition.

As long as the original owner has the paper work to back up his explanation of how the car came by its replacement engine, that the engine was replaced by a dealer and sanctioned by the factory...

I see no problem.

In the meantime the owner has to have a car he can use, enjoy.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this a 9A1 based engine? I thought this problem would be handled by now!

agvaldes - sorry to hear bout the failure... I know I would be sick.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM
MikenOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agvaldes
For MikenOH

There were metal fragments in the filter and oil.
Metal fragments in the filter-- I'd guess you'd expect some in a new motor, but if they were actually part of the problem, it sounds like it was more than just a lifter issue--my,my.

I will definitely keep a close tab on any engine noise when our car is back on the road in a few months.

Just out of curiosity, should I expect the 9A1 engine to run louder than the M97 or the same?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MikenOH
Just out of curiosity, should I expect the 9A1 engine to run louder than the M97 or the same?
IME 9A1 engine sounds similar to M97 if not quieter (exhaust note is definitely quieter). 2008 BS vs. 2011 Spyder. Others may or may not feel differently. And, yes, some metal in the filter is normal as engines wear in.

OP, good luck with the new engine. And you heard correctly. It's very rare for Porsche to have a dealer rebuild an engine or have some parts changed out. The entire engine will be replaced and they'll want your current engine back so they can study what went wrong. This is straight from one of the (few) PCNA distribution centers where all things OEM Porsche pass through (to and from Germany).
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by agvaldes
I spoke my service advisor and he assured me that I was getting a Crate Engine. A complete new engine minus the a/c compressor which will be taken off the failed engine. He is going to send me pictures when it arrives.
Ask them to send you a 991S PowerKit motor, and you'll forgive them. Talk about lemonade from lemons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Boxster S Engine Failed!!