Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Official Porsche Archive Production Figures for the MY2011/MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:30 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree with you and think long term the cars with no AC and PCM will be the sort after ones.

The year of the car makes no odds what so ever.
But it will have to have buckets, Spyder wheels , PSE, and of course manual.

I love the way my car is,it's a 3rd car and have never used the roof on it.
I am in the camp if you want options get a normal Boxster S as it,s the better every day car due to a working roof.

If you want a fun weekend car the Spyder is king if the suns out and then you want it as light as possable.

I also own a older 996GT3 but I like the Spyder more and selling the GT3

I doubt they will make another car like it, ever , and think values will still drop short term but will start to hold value at 30k UK pounds,

Even if they do make a 981 Spyder , I did not like the new electric steering or the larger size of the car.

And as the 996gt3 is sort after for the rawest drive by a select few, so will the Spyder be.

The biggest issue is non Spyder owners don't know how good the car is, and just call it a fancy Boxster. But how wrong these people are. And that might be the issue with values until more and more people get to try them.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always take out the AC and radio(Though I don't know why anyone would), Offset the weight of the AC with a lighter battery, and your done. You can always add PSE, you can add the sport buckets, but at considerable cost. A 6 speed is a must.
40 years from now, these will be the cars everyone would like in their collection. They look great, are rare, and most importantly, are a blast to drive.
I have had tons of Porsches. This Spyder, besides my vintage race car, has been in my fleet the longest. It is not going anywhere. I usually would upgrade to the next best thing, but with my Spyder- I have no desire to.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
You can always take out the AC and radio(Though I don't know why anyone would), Offset the weight of the AC with a lighter battery, and your done. ...
Removing the AC is not only unbolting the compressor. You need to take out the whole system, including front-to-back plumbing, AC radiators, evaporator and other plumbing. Not an easy task and it will leave marks. I also suspect the whole AC system weighs more than a battery.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eduardo,
Thank you, for answering the question of how many.
Alot of people have asked.
Happy Holidays to all!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:33 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

I am curious how many here have offset the penalty of weighty options with PCCBs and lithium ion battery. Its one of those things that is often posted but never gets done. I can see most of us feel that we are not good enough drivers to notice the difference of 60 lbs. It would be great if one can drive a bare bones spyder (including a/c radio, sport exhaust delete which all add weight) vs one that is fully loaded and see if there is any noticeable difference. I doubt that I can tell the difference. But for me its the thought (of the weight saving and the compromise a driver has to endure for the sake of performance and handling) that went behind Porsches idea for this car that counts. Plus it will not be my daily driver. But looks like I might have to compromise somewhere as I will not get to spec one

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-26-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:32 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I like the PDK, nav and A/C in mine ( South Texas do I need to say more) Sport buckets ARE THE SEATS to have and I am very comfortable in mine. No cup holders and I would have not ordered the PSE if I had it to do over. That would reduce a little weight. Bottom line is a great car no matter how you option it and pure fun to drive.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Removing the AC is not only unbolting the compressor. You need to take out the whole system, including front-to-back plumbing, AC radiators, evaporator and other plumbing. Not an easy task and it will leave marks. I also suspect the whole AC system weighs more than a battery.
AC system adds 26 pounds IRC- get a 15 pound Oddesey battery and replace the stock battery for more than 26 pounds in savings.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually wish they had built many many more. As in so many that you didn't think twice about pounding it year after year. No worry of scratching the fender here or there, etc.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I actually wish they had built many many more. As in so many that you didn't think twice about pounding it year after year. No worry of scratching the fender here or there, etc.
That would great!

One garage queen and one track rat!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Eduardo seems to have the most knowledge about collecting cars. In his opinion, once these spyders reach collectors status, street car rules for spyders don't apply. So cars that are in all original condition, unique color combos, and year of production (2012 lot fewer cars) trumps options (or lack thereof).

Now if I were a collector, knowing what I know now about these cars, I would want to have a car which most symbolizes the spirit or essence of the car and cherish it. But thats why we are all so different and there is a spyder for all our needs and wants .. well actually there aren't enough spyders which is the whole point of this thread

I will be somewhat close to Afshin's area in a couple of weeks. May be I can check his beautiful spyder in person.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Amar it would be a pleasure to meet you in person and talk cars. For reference I'm located about 45 minutes south of Boston.

Send me a PM when you get a chance.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

PM sent. May the day come at some point in the future where all Rennlist spyder owners meet and talk about Porsches. I expect to be part of that group. We have had such great discussions about the spyder.

Today while browsing, I saw Porsche's e-ad showcasing their newer line up of cars (I think it was either a 991 or a 981) and they stated that the only option not available was
"compromise". As a wannabe owner of a absolutely no frills spyder, I chuckled.

We may never see a Porsche with compromise again. How I wish the spyder would have had no options to tick while ordering like the sport classic 911. Ugh! I am sure they would have still sold 1800 cars. Don't you all feel the same.

All spyders spec'd in one or may be two colors, sport bucket, 6-speed, A/c delete, lightweight titanium sport exhaust.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:49 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

I like the way most are full fat, keeps mine pure and a great talking point ;-).

Year of a car has never make any odds to value, unless a car was only make in that 1 year lol.

Take my other car, my 996GT3 they span over 3 years and values are the same,
Pts colours is harder to value as some are rank and Not sellable, it's normally the launch colour which is worth the most and the colour which is all the books and pictures.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
ACE51
Advanced

So is my PDK Spyder with sport buckets and No A/C one of one?!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:37 PM
11Spydr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely not. I also have a A/C delete PDK Spyder w/ sport buckets. Most fun car I've ever owned!

Quick Reply: Official Porsche Archive Production Figures for the MY2011/MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder!