Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Official Porsche Archive Production Figures for the MY2011/MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
But assuming that in thirty five years there are about 100 spyders in all original condition. Would you agree the cars that are more spartan and truer to the ethos of what the spyder stands for would be more desirable and fetch more at RM auctions.
In a word, 'no'! The PTS Spyders will be top dogs, followed by the unusual specs - e.g. a certain 'Aqua/Carrera Red' vehicle I remember from this forum - and most of the scarce MY2012's that were built at the tail end of production! Oh, and the 'Carrara White' Spyder with low mileage that spent its early life in a rustic barn at Sellamsee, that one will be specially valuable, even if it has unsightly 'Kool-Aid' stains all over its carpets!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Well then I stand corrected as you clearly are the resident expert for all of us here at Rennlist given all your decades worth of knowledge, passion and real world experience. But I will say one thing. When I do get my spyder one day, it will most definitely not be a top dog in the eyes of the collector. But like my RS, it will be one of the most purist spec'd spyders that ever exists in this world. I have several in this forum keeping their eyes and ears open for w00t's spyder. And I feel truly blessed that they are looking out for me.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
I am now a detached observer of the Spyder model. I no longer have a horse on this race!
The librarian has spoken. A moment of silence...

Wait second!!! Ed, you sold your spyder? When? To anyone here on rennlist?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The librarian has spoken. A moment of silence...

Plus one, when did you sell Eduardo?

More importantly, what's next?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

To add to what Eduardo has already stated, my observation of collectable cars is that the ones with rare options which are in showroom condition tend to fetch the highest prices. Original cars in perfect condition seem to be preferred over a restored example but overall the rarity of options still rules supreme.

I agree with Eduardo, the PTS Spyders with good color combo's will fetch higher prices since they are rarest of the breed. I would argue that the 2012's will fetch slightly more than the 2011's but I think condition will be more important.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Several things set off my passion for spyders: Eduardo's uniquely optioned car, an excellent article on Excellence that compared two pure Porsches the RS and spyder and above all the passion shared by several spyder owners in this forum. If Eduardo did sell his spyder then I wish the new owner many years of happy and safe motoring. As for me, I am no collector, nor do I go to the track. I just think Porsche is in my blood.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Amar,

it is in the same spirit that I spec.ed my white spyder: ie no-leather (alcantara interior package), buckets, no AC, PCCBs,LiON battery, SS and PSE
but added heavy Bi-xenons and CD. Bi-xenons because they evoke the CGT "twin bulb" look and CD because... a little music never goes amiss.

one can get too carried away with this ethos though. Because, the little bit of added weight can't be felt on the road. I say this because i did swap out the Lion battery for the standard battery and drive it back to back. Now I am no pro driver but even at 8/10s, you's have to have a real sensitive bum and super soft hands to fell anything. I am not saying put every option back in but having the stereo and AC back should do the driving dynamics little harm.

Notwithstanding, I agree that the best value spyder and the smart money is on the owner that spec.ed a spyder with zero options........ then, it is so pure and good who cares if it isn't worth anything in 10 years........

which is why my 2nd spyder only has the CD option......
Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Plus one, when did you sell Eduardo? More importantly, what's next?
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
If Eduardo did sell his spyder then I wish the new owner many years of happy and safe motoring.
Joe, if you have been able to make the party I invited you last August at my home in Carmel during the Historics, you would have known that! Zellamsee, Steve Colletti, Ian Mclean & Rolling Art were there and enjoyed the bubblies! Mile2424 got lost on the way and couldn't make it. But there will be other parties, I hope!

The Spyder was sold in early August to a fellow Rennlister that chooses to remain anonymous and I have never seen post. That is his choice and I will respect his privacy. The Spyder sold for my asking price, as listed on the Classifieds and Member-to-Member sections of this forum and which anyone can look up. It had 2000 miles on the odo and had fully three years left on its factory warranty. The buyer is a person of means and a true gentleman! He never bothered to inspect the car and took my representations at face value. He later told me he had done his 'homework' on me and was satisfied with what he had found out. Funds were wired into my account and a transport company picked up the car a few weeks later! We keep in touch to this day and he reports to be extremely happy with his purchase! The entire business was conducted via email and we never exchanged even one telephone conversation! It was frankly the smoothest transaction I have ever had with buying or selling a vehicle. Simply amazing!

What is next? Nothing is in the immediate horizon. We can talk about that on another occasion. But the Spyder has left a very positive impression on me and that is why I still sing its praises. It is something I seldom feel about many of the other cars I have owned in the past!

Saludos and Happy Holidays to all!
Eduardo
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we can all agree, we are all fortunate to be in a position to own and drive these cars.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:51 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Khooni even if I drive a spyder that's fully loaded with weighty options I probably won't be able to tell the difference in driving dynamics. But just like the door pull strap gimmick call
me crazy but it's the thought that counts in my mind not the actual weight saved.

Again I am taken aback when some load their spyder with all Boxster S kinda options and claim that they are the true hard core enthusiasts and hence bought a spyder. Really?

I'll be the first to admit that I am not hard core either as if and when I get my spyder it would not be a daily driver. But I am sold on the essence of the spyder something that MIGHT never ever be duplicated in a modern car. That's why I harp on the purity aspect of the car. It would probably be a car that will be a fair weather only car that hopefully would be reminiscent of the older Porsches in its spirit with 1/4 the buy in price and still have safety features that the older cars don't possess.

Now Khooni I do know for a fact that climate control is a strict no no in the UK. Here its quite the opposite. Are both your spyders in the UK. If that's the case I need to start saving some $$ to have a second home there.

All jokes apart, I once again congratulate all you owners for a choice well made. Let's thank Eduardo for the amazing stats he has built over the years and congratulate him on a nice sale. Merry christmas to all
from w00t.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Afshin, trust me on this... You will have no regrets about ordering a/c once you get to KC.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on the sale, Ed! I hope to make the party next year. I'm glad you're still active here on the 987 forum. Merry Christmas, everyone!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a white one, with no radio, AC , cup holders etc.

But has the buckets seats, PSE, short shift and PCCB.

True Spyder spec , hence it was Porsche press car and what they deemed the Spyder should be.

Only ever seen one like mine, ( the other press car as it happens) and it sold quite fast.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

stop the presses....

I obviously missed the post where Eduardo sold his Spyder...who is the owner of that beauty now?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Mrd_spy looks like your spyder belongs to a purist camp. We would love to hear your thoughts on the car and see some pics.

As many here know, my interest in Eduardo's spyder eventually led him to post his car for sale. May be for this new year Eduardo can throw in one of those rally plates in the mail for me as a token of appreciation

What next a PTS 981 spyder ? We hope that you wont miss your beautiful spyder.

Quick Reply: Official Porsche Archive Production Figures for the MY2011/MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder!