Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P 2198 oxygen sensor CEl code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM
headcrabz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P 2198 oxygen sensor CEl code?

I recently changed my exhaust to tubi exhuast. after around 300 mi Check engine (CE) light came on with Code P2198. meaning: Oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor1 sensor signals tuck rich. would somebody know what it means?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by headcrabz
I recently changed my exhaust to tubi exhuast. after around 300 mi Check engine (CE) light came on with Code P2198. meaning: Oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor1 sensor signals tuck rich. would somebody know what it means?
Probably means the sensor's no good.

With an OBD2 code reader/data viewer that supports it there may be TID (test IDs) related to the sensors you can run and view the results to perhaps confirm the sensor is no good.

You can try swapping the #1 sensors to see if the error follows the sensor.

But... there could be a risk: When you moved the O2 sensors to the new exhaust what thread lube did you use?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 AM
headcrabz
Track Day

thanks Macster for replying but now I jst have too many questions!

what do you mean by moving the O2 sensors to the new exhaust. tubi is catback, I didnt touch the sensors at all ?

I just pb blaster for loosening the nuts. I didnt use any thread lube.

and sorry how can i confirm using the obd2 reader that the sensors are bad. all it tells is that code P2198 and that bank2 sensor 1 is stuck rich.
does bank 2 mean passenger and sensor 1 mean upstream sensor?

I reset the light for now to check how soon it comes back. so far in the last 50 miles it hasnt. should I wait or be proactive.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by headcrabz
thanks Macster for replying but now I jst have too many questions!

what do you mean by moving the O2 sensors to the new exhaust. tubi is catback, I didnt touch the sensors at all ?

I just pb blaster for loosening the nuts. I didnt use any thread lube.

and sorry how can i confirm using the obd2 reader that the sensors are bad. all it tells is that code P2198 and that bank2 sensor 1 is stuck rich.
does bank 2 mean passenger and sensor 1 mean upstream sensor?

I reset the light for now to check how soon it comes back. so far in the last 50 miles it hasnt. should I wait or be proactive.
If the Tubi exhaust mod didn't require you touch the sensors then my theory the wrong thread lube was used doesn't apply.

If you are sure the o2 sensors were not disturbed, even if unintentionally, and this means the wiring connector/harness, then this leaves the sensor as being bad as the only explanation I can think of right now.

This assumes that the portion of the exhaust system with the sensors/converters was not disturbed too. An exhaust leak -- upstream to be sure but downstream too -- can really interfere with o2 sensor operation.

Some OBD2 code readers/data viewers offer support for a user to get the results of some tests the DME runs on its own.

Based on my quick scan on this subject in my reference obtaining test results using OBD2 service 5 (request oxygen sensor monitoring test results) or 6 (request on-board monitoring test results for specific monitored systems) could be of some value provided these are supported by the automaker.

Unless someone knows for sure all I can think of is you buy a code reader/data viewer that provide support for Mode 5 and Mode 6 services and then try these with the device connected to your car's OBD2 port.

As for which code readers support the TIDs, I don't know.

You'll have to read up on the details/product specs. My Actron unit does and I bought it back in '00 and for which paid around $250, to give you a sense of the price of a unit that does support this. Of course this was 12 years ago so the less expensive models might offer this support now. You'll have to research this.

Also, I assume that the TID (test id's) that are present in say my 02 Boxster are still available in the later model Porsches. I have not had a chance to interact with any newer Porsches at this level.

The #1 sensors are the ones located ahead of the converter. The #2 sensors are the ones located after the converters.

Bank 1 in a LHD USA car is on the passenger side of the car while bank #2 is located on the driver's side of the car.

As long as the engine is not acting up and the CEL is not flashing and I guess you feel comfortable doing this clearing the CEL and then driving the car to see if the CEL comes back on and comes back with the same error code (though any error code associated with a CEL is important and should be written down for later reference) is a good plan.

A 50 mile drive is a pretty good distance though that the DME is able to complete its check out of the sensors and other hardware (converters to name just one more) completely is dependent upon the type of driving done in those 50 miles.

It is like, in fact the same, as trying to get the readiness monitors set to complete. A 50 mile WOT blast down the freeway won't do it. A 50 mile drive through bumper to bumper LA freeway traffic won't do it either.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM
headcrabz
Track Day

thanks a bunch macster for explanations! the CEL light hasnt come back since the reset. I have already drove close to 600 mi on it. I still wonder though what made it come on.

I will keep an eye out for any CEL lights. again apreciate your help!

Quick Reply: P 2198 oxygen sensor CEl code?