Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil in engine bay

I took my 2006 Cayman S engine cover off and discovered oil on a crossover tube on the intake manifold. Does anyone know what this is and if it is cause for concern?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 AM
lithium1330
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

thats pretty normal... i see the slight oil seepage at my intake plenum.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Oh man. My Boxster's engine cover hasn't been off the car since a Republican president was in the White House so I don't remember what's exactly normal but that does not look normal.

IIRC those clamps are not factory so somebody's been in there and the hoses may not be sealed.

This is not a suggestion the clamps need to be tightened some more. Over tightening hose clamps is just a way to make a small hose leak a bigger hose leak.

A common problem is when hoses are slipped over their hose connection a piece of the hose gets caught and bent back and forms a slight vacuum or pressure leak. (This is very true in the case of the Turbo cars where the intake hoses have to hold in 7 or more psi when the turbos are making boost).

But even in NA engines the intake manifold can see atmospheric pressure under full throttle and if the AOS is going bad and there is an excess of oil in the intake over time this can force some out and well, you have the signs you see.

The presence of that much oil at both of these joints suggests there's a goodly amount of oil vapor in the intake which suggests a possible AOS problem. However, you do not report any other symptoms of an AOS so it may be my over active imagination.

Still, you can if you want remove the throttle body and if its internal surfaces are oily, if there is a goodly amount of oil collected at the hose fitting/port directly downstream of the TB where the AOS hose connects, this could be the early warning signs of a bad AOS.

Also, give the rest of the engine a good inspection. There could be an oil leak (or fluid leak) from some other spot and it could account for the oil you see. Not likely frankly given how the oil sign is so regular around the clamp areas. But check anyhow. There is always two problems unless there is just 1 or 3 or more.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone know the actual name of the hose that the oil is on?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra
Anyone know the actual name of the hose that the oil is on?
Listed on Pelican site as: Intake boot, resonance tube to intake manifold. Catchy.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Checkout the power steering pump also for leaking fluid & fluid level
Old 07-17-2018, 01:49 AM
megawatts
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect a thread from 6 years ago but I pulled my engine cover today and found this exact situation. Did you ever discover the root cause of your issue?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:34 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Doesn't really look like much of a problem to me - probably just oil seepage. The AOS could be getting bad to get that much oil in there. I would clean it thoroughly and check condition of the rubber parts if it were me, reinstall, and check again in a few thousand miles to see how fast the buildup is.

Quick Reply: Oil in engine bay