Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
kpg1945
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter

Took delivery of a 2013 Boxster this year, plan to put it away for the winter, and need some tips. I got the Porsche battery maintainer, but need advice on the rest of the drill. Tire pressures, moving the car from time to time....etc. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

I store my 2007 for 5 months each year. I increase the tire pressure 50 psi, fill the tank with non-oxy fuel and add stable. I also clean and treat the leather and change the oil but since yours is new doubt that is necessary. The place I store it maintains 45 to 50 degrees and is dry and clean. They throw the cover on and disconnect the battery as maintainers are not allowed. The cover is a covercraft dustop which is available many places on the web. The car is not moved during storage which has not been a problem in the past 5 winters.

I really like the new Boxster. Drove one on an autocross course last summer during a Porsche test drive event. Even though the Boxster S I have is a great car the 2013 is even better.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
I store my 2007 for 5 months each year. I increase the tire pressure 50 psi, fill the tank with non-oxy fuel and add stable. I also clean and treat the leather and change the oil but since yours is new doubt that is necessary. The place I store it maintains 45 to 50 degrees and is dry and clean. They throw the cover on and disconnect the battery as maintainers are not allowed. The cover is a covercraft dustop which is available many places on the web. The car is not moved during storage which has not been a problem in the past 5 winters.

I really like the new Boxster. Drove one on an autocross course last summer during a Porsche test drive event. Even though the Boxster S I have is a great car the 2013 is even better.
I do the same although I don't really have a choice on the gas, it's whatever is at the pump.

I also make a point to change the oil before storage.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:44 PM
kpg1945
Intermediate

rdboxster - the max presssure on the Pirelli PZero is 51psi. Isn't filling it to 50 cutting it awfully close?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rdboxster
I store my 2007 for 5 months each year. I increase the tire pressure 50 psi, fill the tank with non-oxy fuel and add stable.
Where do you live that you need to store the car 5 out of 12 months (42%)?? Sheesh, I'd hate to be without my cars for half that long..
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kpg1945
Took delivery of a 2013 Boxster this year, plan to put it away for the winter, and need some tips. I got the Porsche battery maintainer, but need advice on the rest of the drill. Tire pressures, moving the car from time to time....etc. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Consult the car's owners manual. IIRC I came across a section on storing the car or at least setting it up for inactivity for a while.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 AM
kpg1945
Intermediate

Live on the South Shore of Boston.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Where do you live that you need to store the car 5 out of 12 months (42%)?? Sheesh, I'd hate to be without my cars for half that long..
Live on the South Shore of Boston.
I also keep my car in storage for the same amount of time. The biggest issue around here is heavy sand use due to black ice. The roads aren't typically cleaned off until late April so if you put the car away in late November you are looking at a minimum of 5 months in storage.

By the way, living near the coast I would make an effort to keep the car stored somewhere dry and possibly use a dessicant inside the car to keep the moisture to a minimum. I also would not start the car at all during storage. Starting and moving the car won't help, it will only increase the wear/tear on the engine and exhaust..
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Don't start the car, unless you can get it up to running temperature. If you are just leaving it in idle, it doesnt really get warmed up.

I do at that were mentioned. Plus, mothballs, or any rodent repellants.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 495 Posts
Default Winter is No Fun!

This is my first winter storage, and I went to a PCA Tech Session on winter storage at a local indie.

In addition to everything mentioned, a popular subject for discussion at the Session was rodent-proofing the car. I had a problem with chipmunks during the driving season, so this is a concern for me.

What I am doing to make sure mice don't move into my car:

1. Mouse traps with peanut butter surrounding the car as my first line of defense. Think of them as being nut-flavored Claymore Mines.
2. A product called Mouse Magic, which are teabags filled with Spearmint Oil, Peppermint oil, and Fuller's Earth. They will be placed on top of each tire, and inside each tailpipe. These are my teargas dispensers.

Better living through modern chemicals.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 11-25-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

rdboxster - the max presssure on the Pirelli PZero is 51psi. Isn't filling it to 50 cutting it awfully close?
I have the Michelin PS2s which has a max inflation of 50psi. Since the manufacture sets the safe max limits I don't think it is a issue. I only drive 5 miles to the storage facility so limited use. The facility adjusts the pressure in the spring to Porsche recommendations. The local dealer also recommends 50psi. I have not had any issues with flat spots on the tires.

As to why I keep in storage for 5 months..Minnesota. Usually it is closer to 6 months as April is pot hole season so until they are fixed and the roads cleaned I tend to leave in storage. I usually put in storage by 11/1 since the weather can turn quickly causing salt to be used.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
This is my first winter storage, and I went to a PCA Tech Session on winter storage at a local indie.

In addition to everything mentioned, a popular subject for discussion at the Session was rodent-proofing the car. I had a problem with chipmunks during the driving season, so this is a concern for me.

What I am doing to make sure mice don't move into my car:

1. Mouse traps with peanut butter surrounding the car as my first line of defense. Think of them as being nut-flavored Claymore Mines.
2. A product called Mouse Magic, which are plastic teabags filled with Spearmint Oil, Peppermint oil, and Fuller's Earth. They will be placed on top of each tire, and inside each tailpipe. These are my teargas dispensers.

Better living through modern chemicals.
Whether Mouse Magic works or not I can't say.

But putting any in the tailpipe is of no use. I've never seen mice gnaw converters.

Mice (and other creatures) like the same parts of the car as you do: The cabin. Not to live but to use it a big box store for housing/bedding materials. They'll nest on top of the engine. So put a Mouse Magic on top of the engine. Put two.

If you can put some in the cabin, in the radiator ducts, and a few on top of the under body panels. A favorite mouse highway is the top of the panels under the center of the car with the small tunnel above.

Put some in each trunk too. In the rear trunk put one in each rear corner near the vent covers that let cabin air exhaust to the the outside. Behind those vents are soft rubber flaps that seal against air flowing into the cabin but open to let air vent from the cabin. Mice can go through those rubber vents without even having to chew their way.

It may seem overkill but put one on top of or as near to the engine air intake filter and cabin air filter as you can.

If these Mouse Magic things have an expiration date be sure you renew them on or before they expire. You want the stuff active and high strength.

Also, do not store the car and forget about it. Check it once a week for signs of rodent infestation. Primarily this sign will be litter (or worse) on top of the plastic under body panels.

Last needless to say keep track of where you put what and be sure to remove all before you start the engine in the spring.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I used to spend the whole winter in MA and when I did, I did NOT store the car. I drove it when the roads were clean. If and when we had extended snow and salt covered roads, I would just keep the battery maintainer on. As soon as we got any rain at all, I would drive it again as soon as the roads dried. I figured the rain would wash off most of the salt.
I would only drive it once or twice a week but at least I got to drive it a little.

Being in Hull, you have a good chance of getting more rain than snow compared to the towns more inland.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 495 Posts

Macster: Thanks! The can came with twelve teabags. It looks like I will be using all twelve.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
kpg1945
Intermediate

Thanks, Charlie C. I think that's what I will do as well. When you did have the car sitting idle waiting for dry clean roads, did you also over inflate the tires or just do the battery maintainer?

Quick Reply: Winter