Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hardtop squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default hardtop squeaks

Hey all
Does anyone have a remedy for a squeaky, creaky hardtop? I bought a base 2010 Boxster with 1,300 miles on it, in late March and it came with a hardtop (I think the car looks great with it on) but as it was getting warmer, the hardtop soon came off. Now it is late November and getting cold here in New England so the hardtop just went back on and I have noticed that on roads other than a smooth hi-way the top squeaks and it is bothersome. I don't think it was so squeaky when I first got the car, maybe the dealer had lubricated the seals with something. Anyone know what that would be? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best you can do is keep the top's sealing gaskets lubed (I use Honda Shin-Etsu grease) and make sure the rear cam locks are lubed and turn freely when they are inserted into their receivers.

If you reset your rear cam-locks every so often (just cycle them from the open to closed position) , that helps for awhile.

BD
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Thanks BD
I somehow can't get my mind around grease on the rubber seals (the cam locks I can see) is the Honda Shin-Etsu grease a dry lube that does not degrade rubber seals? and where do you get it? My top's squeaks seem to be more the seals rubbing together than the cam locks or front clamp squeaking.
M10
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

M;

No fear using Shin-Etsu on rubber seals.

Specifically for rubber with the consistency of Vaseline, but not petroleum based. It gets 'absorbed' by the rubber, doesn't just sit on the surface waiting to get wiped off. Buy at any Honda auto dealer-comes in tooth paste size tube.

The rubber gaskets at the windshield, under the top's rear edge, and contact points along the side window glass top and rear are all potential squeak points.

The rear cam locks also IIRC, turn within a sleeve, another squeak point, for those I use Boeshield T-9 which is a lot neater than lithium grease.

BD
Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

BD
Do you know anything about the Gummi Pfledge for rubber seals sold through Pelican Parts? How does it differ from the Shin Etsu grease.
M10
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

I would suspect that GP is a similar product.

BD

Quick Reply: hardtop squeaks