Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you track a Cayman or Boxster - where does the coolant go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts
Default If you track a Cayman or Boxster - where does the coolant go?

Have any of you who regularly track your Cayman or Boxster noticed the coolant level will mysteriously drop after a couple track days? I think it may be one factor that contributes to the overheating issues seen by many.

My sample size is small - 3 Caymans and one Spyder locally. However, we have all noticed this phenomenon. After a few track days, the coolant is about 12 oz low (convenient that is the size of a bottle of Water Wetter). None of us have noticed any puddles under the car, no smell of coolant, no coolant on the reservoir cap or overflow, etc.

Has anyone else noticed? Any theories on where the coolant goes?

If you haven't noticed, maybe you should take a look. When the car is cold!! See if the coolant is low.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Bill, I was not aware of this issue and never paid attention. That being said, I just checked my coolant level in the truck and it looks like it is slightly below the minimum level. Have you checked under the engine cover at all? I vaguely remember someone posting that after they removed the engine cover, they found an area where coolant was leaking..
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Have any of you who regularly track your Cayman or Boxster noticed the coolant level will mysteriously drop after a couple track days? I think it may be one factor that contributes to the overheating issues seen by many.

My sample size is small - 3 Caymans and one Spyder locally. However, we have all noticed this phenomenon. After a few track days, the coolant is about 12 oz low (convenient that is the size of a bottle of Water Wetter). None of us have noticed any puddles under the car, no smell of coolant, no coolant on the reservoir cap or overflow, etc.

Has anyone else noticed? Any theories on where the coolant goes?

If you haven't noticed, maybe you should take a look. When the car is cold!! See if the coolant is low.

Thanks!
The cap leaking vapor under pressure would be my guess. Next time you park up the car at the track lay a tent of alum. foil over the cap area and see if any water condenses under it.

Another place is the water pump seal. Even under normal driving some coolant can ease out the seal, again after the engine is shut off hot and pressure builds.

There can be no visible/wet coolant present is what I've been told but there can be a stain/dried residue on the casting. My info is Porsche even has a callout as to how big this stain can be.

At the track always let the engine idle long enough for the fans to shut off thus the coolant temp is down to 205F. If you shut off the engine just as the fans come on the coolant is 212F and could be hotter if the fans are running at high speed, 216F and I've seen 226F even though I do not track my Boxster.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Hmmmmm. I'll look into this. I always check my oil but not my water
Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I check the coolant level before every track event. When I first started tracking the coolant level would go down as you described but has not happened in a long time. The dealer could not find any issues when performing a pressure test and a local race shop said that they notice this phenomenon on their customer's GT3s.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Checked my coolant level after my Laguna track day. I did lose a little bit. Maybe about 2 cups worth. I'm probably not tracking the car enough, right Ben?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 AM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Checked my coolant level after my Laguna track day. I did lose a little bit. Maybe about 2 cups worth. I'm probably not tracking the car enough, right Ben?
Tracking cures all ills.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had to add a 1.5L of Porsche Coolant/Distilled water. I don't track my car, but it only has 9k miles on it. Makes me wonder where it went too???
Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Plavan
I just had to add a 1.5L of Porsche Coolant/Distilled water. I don't track my car, but it only has 9k miles on it. Makes me wonder where it went too???
Yes, it is a mystery. I might pop off the engine cover one of these days to make sure there aren't any dried coolant stains anywhere...
Old 11-27-2012, 08:18 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I never lose any coolant ever - road or track.

I would presume you have a leak in the expansion tank above the normal fluid level. Or that for some reason you are boiling a bit of fluid (yikes!) and it is escaping. Can't really say.

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Have any of you who regularly track your Cayman or Boxster noticed the coolant level will mysteriously drop after a couple track days?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to remember to check my coolant. Not always easy when you have to let it sit for many hours to check!

Coolant was way low when I bought my Spyder. Replenished and it had been fine since, though I haven't checked recently.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 AM
pjmachineco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked my car, it was a little low, dealer said to just add water.

Quick Reply: If you track a Cayman or Boxster - where does the coolant go?