Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My first taste of a spyder

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:52 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts
Default My first taste of a spyder

I took my 997.2 C4S to Barrier Porsche for its annual oil change. As the service manager was writing up the order, a Boxster spyder was visible in the background in the service bay. The car was being inspected by their lead tech before it officially went for sale. They had just acquired this one owner car who traded it in for a Mercedes. I went up to my salesman and minutes later I took it for a test drive.

The car itself was incredibly agile, nimble and responsive. Gosh I love the DFI motor on my C4S and the 3.4 liter flat six mated with the sport exhaust was brilliant. I have never driven a Boxster or Boxster S in the 987 or 981 platform. I imagine that most people who drive this car would probably say "I'll take one". It really is hard to walk away from such incredible handling dynamics. The poise and body control on turns was just superb. The silver door pull straps were a nice touch in the car.

I will not be buying this car. But wanted to post here for the benefit of RL'ers who might be looking for a well specified Boxster spyder. I know the salesman well and can put you in touch with him if interested. He is a straight up person and can quote you their lowest asking price.

The original price was $77300, selling price (before any negotiation) will be posted soon after they take some pics but my guess is it will be $71,000.00 range. It has 7000 miles on the ODO and is optioned as follows:

Warranty Date 8/12/2011 Trans Number
Body Color 1H Platinum Silver M Retail Price

Option Class Option Option Class Description Option Price

BSEMDL BASE MY 2012 Boxster Spyder .00
OPTION HNL Fabric Door Opening Loop .00
OPTION ROOF Manual Two Panel Roof .00
TOPCLR V9 Convertible Top Black .00
OPTION CMT Sports bucket seat belt passag .00
OPTION XLF Sports Exhaust System .00
OPTION XMK Roll Bar Paint Exterior Color .00
OPTION XMR Leather Sunvisors .00
OPTION XSH Seat belts in Silver Grey .00
OPTION 490 SoundPkgPlus incl.CD StrgeBox .00
OPTION 573 Automatic A/C .00
OPTION 585 Cupholder .00
OPTION 619 Bluetooth Interface for Mobile .00
OPTION 810 Floor Mats .00
OPTION 840 SportDesign steering wheel .00
OPTION 870 Universal Audio Interface .00
OPTION 998 Natural leather interior .00
OPTION 501 Full Body Cover .00
BDYCLR 1H Platinum Silver Metallic .00
INTERI 24 Carrera Red Natural Leather w/ .00
OPTION 639 Sport Chrono Pkg W/Out PCM .00
OPTION 695 CDR-30 Audio System .00

Good luck with the negotiation if anyone here wants to pursue this car.

Amar

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-19-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Got a Spyder last fall to complement my C2S and I really think I have the best of both worlds. The Spyder has to be the most fun "out of the box" that PORSCHE has made is quite some time. Light, agile, powerful and pure fun.

PORSCHE only made 700 (combined 2011 and 2012 model years) for the States so you are in a small group. It turns heads everywhere I go. By the way the top is two parts and a breeze to put up and or down. Many times I won't even put on the second part. Just a fun car and a keeper.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:22 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

nice. the natural red leather is a nice bonus. looks great with plat silver
Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that's not a lot of depreciation for 7000 miles
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

this is the U.S SFO........

their spyders hold up value.. I keep telling everyone in the UK that soon people will wake up to the fact that UK spyders are a bargain at 40% off msrp
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 AM
rubber_ducky
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice heads-up. Hopefully somebody here picks this car up.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
this is the U.S SFO........

their spyders hold up value.. I keep telling everyone in the UK that soon people will wake up to the fact that UK spyders are a bargain at 40% off msrp
UK Spyder owners consistently talk up values ..

The number of threads on the Spyder's rarity is making the Spyder seem very numerous
Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

I'm assuming most of us in RL are over 40. IMO, no modern car other than perhaps the RS 4.0 (which too is debatable) will in our lifetime

1. Become a collectible (7/10 confidence)
or
2. Will go up in value (10/10 confidence).

So buy the car if you enjoy driving and not hoping that it would go in value. I have heard great things about the Spyder. But had not driven the Spyder up until now. I was impressed with its handling to say the very least but if I am right, (correct me if I am wrong) it is not probably not a quantum leap over a properly spec'd Boxster S. On the looks department, I still would take a 911 any day (air-cooled or water cooled) but it certainly looked much more appealing to me than any other Boxster. The salesman insisted that I test drive a 981. He said I would be blown away. On the way back it poured cats and dogs in Seattle and the road conditions made a perfect companion for the handling of my C4S.
Porsche just makes amazing cars.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I'm assuming most of us in RL are over 40. IMO, no modern car other than perhaps the RS 4.0 (which too is debatable) will in our lifetime

1. Become a collectible (7/10 confidence)
or
2. Will go up in value (10/10 confidence).

So buy the car if you enjoy driving and not hoping that it would go in value. I have heard great things about the Spyder. But had not driven the Spyder up until now. I was impressed with its handling to say the very least but if I am right, (correct me if I am wrong) it is not probably not a quantum leap over a properly spec'd Boxster S. On the looks department, I still would take a 911 any day (air-cooled or water cooled) but it certainly looked much more appealing to me than any other Boxster.
Agree with what you say, but will have to disagree with the bolded statement. The carrera looks good, but doesn't hold up next to a spyder. You're one of the few people who have seen a spyder in person that doesn't think it looks more fantastic than a carrera. Other than the GT3s, the 911s have never really 'done it' for me...
Old 10-19-2012, 04:30 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Joe, I take it back. I am not saying it does not look good. In fact it is the best looking Boxster IMO. I think the front could have been done a little better. The car was in between two other vehicles and I did not get to see it really well at different angles. In fact it was backed against a sloping retaining wall so I could not even check out the rear end of the car. So I did not have had a good chance to capture the car visually in person. Plus the top was up. I am sure that even though this car is one of the few cars that looks good with top up, top down is where it really shines.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 10-19-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:00 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Woot,

You have incredible self control. A lesser man never would have made it out of the dealership without that Spyder.

SFO,

The spyders saw the usual depreciation curve in the first year or so, then folks started to figure out what the car really was, and the prices shot back up. As time goes on, they will fall into the hands of die hard fans that won't likely give them up so easily.

Last edited by medtech; 10-21-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Woot,

You have incredible self control. A lesser man never would have made it out of the dealership without that Spyder.

SFO,

The spyders saw the usual depreciation curve in the first year or so, then folks stared to figure out what the car really was, and the prices shot back up. As time goes on, they will fall into the hands of die hard fans that won't likely give them up so easily.
There is an aqua blue Spyder already in this die hard fans garage and I'm keeping it. What a fun car
Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

When it comes to the Spyder it truly depends on what you're after. It is definitely not the ideal DD unless you live in the South West where the weather is predictable and nice year round.

If you want a lithe, well built, focused and stunning sports car with a reasonable price I genuinely believe the Spyder can't be beat. I think the 981 is fantastic but not as raw or as focused as the Spyder. My opinion of course.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
When it comes to the Spyder it truly depends on what you're after. It is definitely not the ideal DD unless you live in the South West where the weather is predictable and nice year round.

If you want a lithe, well built, focused and stunning sports car with a reasonable price I genuinely believe the Spyder can't be beat. I think the 981 is fantastic but not as raw or as focused as the Spyder. My opinion of course.
So well put Afshin. My test drive exactly echoed your post. If you want a more daily drivable, comfortable yet sporty car there is a brilliant performer in the version of a 981 (or a 987) Boxster and Boxster S that meet those criteria. One should buy one of those.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:42 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Originally Posted by medtech
Woot,

I wish I had that much self control. If I did, I would not have three Porsches; that too one that is lightweight and has canvas straps for internal door handles like the spyder.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My first taste of a spyder