Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

My first taste of a spyder

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
My dream spec is

Basalt black or Carrara white, 6speed, natural red leather, A/c delete, PCCB (may be SC and sport shifter but not must haves) and PSE (only if it does not add weight). Now if there is one like that up for sale, I am all over it and will do anything within my capacity to buy that car.
There is a 6-speed white w/red AC delete car out there somewhere - the car delivered to my dealer after mine was spec'd as such, and sat on the lot for a LONG time in 2010...
Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Some type of sport exhaust is a good idea, the stock exhaust sound is way to quiet.

From everything I have read/heard Sport Chrono doesn't offer much in an MT car.

Wasn't one of the cars on Auto Trader a Basalt with Red interior? I know it didn't have the PCCB's but I personally think that is minor.

The short shifter is easy enough to add after the fact and there are several options including the B&M which has some adjustment.

I decided on the A/C when I ordered mine and to make up for the additional weight I'm planning on installing a lightweight battery. If I didn't order the PSE I would have also ordered a Remus Titanium Exhaust to further lighten the rear and give the car some sound. Those two mods alone will reduce the weight another 75 Lbs which is respectable. When it's time to replace my brake rotors I will try to source something with aluminum hats to make up for the lack of PCCB's.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

are sport buckets on your must have list? for me it was 6 speed only and had to be white. If I had a chance to order, it would have been red full leather interior!! very happy with my 6 speed white spyder with newly installed fabspeed race exhaust--lightweight and sounds awesome!! good luck on your search, best time of the year for deals on convertibles
Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Really appreciate all the feedback gentlemen. So my expectation for the spyder is as follows

1. Be the baby version or road and relaxed version if you will of the RS. Something that the RS can never be (and should be).

2. Make one feel vulnerable to the elements. A car where one guesses if one should deliberately miss the exit just for the joy of driving or what if it rains if I dont get home fast enough while the top is all stowed in the rear deck lid hence take the right exit.

3. make one want to dress the right way to face all that mother nature has to throw at me without having the aids or creature comforts of the car intervene. So that means no A/c or climate control.

4. be a car that one can enjoy and pat Porsche on the back and say wow this is a car that can be enjoyed even without the so called must have options.

I thank you all for helping me to dream of owning the unthinkable car.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-04-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

I remember about a year ago there was a nice carrera white with red for sale, PCCB, sport buckets, and I believe it was a 6spd but can't remember. This car was in Reno NV at the time.

I always remembered this car from TS forum. It looks similar to what you are looking for with some nice options (maybe to many with the white wheels etc) but maybe you could ask the seller if he still has it and would be willing to part

http://teamspeed.com/forums/boxster-...s-arrived.html
Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

PCCB's yumm. White wheels not my choice. Mile 2424, yours is a thing of a beauty in itself.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Well if it had 6spd and sport buckets then it might be perfect! Can't complain though! 30k miles and lots of fun along the way!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

You don't waste anytime! Didn't you just get the RS last summer? :-) Good for you. Even though I don't have a Boxster anymore, I still visit this forum to continue learning about the Spyder. Being a 50s Barchetta and 60s Spyder/Targa fan, I consider the Boxster Spyder my favorite new-ish production Porsche (within 3 years old). I'm in the camp who thinks its styling is better than most 911s (and I've owned a few as you know) and rivals other mid-engine modern Ferraris styling-wise.

I drove a Spyder back in 2010 when Barrier had two whites ones and a silver one. Similar to you, I prefer a no-frills, most lightweight version. I thought about buying one back then and even had my salesman search what was available in the US. Most dealers ordered well-optioned ones and so I pretty much had to order to my spec. What stopped me from pulling the trigger is that it didn't fit my trinity of cars: it wasn't a factory race car, it was not close to being an ideal PNW daily driver (though I tried hard to rationalize) and it wasn't enough to replace my current targa-style nice weather car. Besides, buying a new car was not my standard modus operandi.

I did find my ideal B Spyder at one point: a black with red interior no-frills version in late 2009. Unfortunately, I saw it at the dealership next to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart.

Nonetheless, as a Porsche enabler/pusher, I will be on the lookout for you. :-)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Thanks. Again congrats that day on that nice trophy at Porsche grand display @ Carillon point. Mcclaudio I am weighing my options. Bare bones spec spyder as you know are hard to find. I might have to give up the C4S as a trade for that kinda spyder.

Quick Reply: My first taste of a spyder